Adding MDI

Not sure if this should be here or in the ICE section, but as I'm specifically asking about adding it to a Octavia, I'll put it here... Mods, feel free to move if appropriate emoticon-0148-yes.gif

There are a few MDI units on eBay, but they all seem to be meant for installing in the arm rest. I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly), that I can get one of these and then remove the black box from the plastic surround meant for the armrest and install the gubbins near the glovebox in my facelift Octavia. I haven't actually looked yet, but assume there's a blanking plate in the glovebox where the MDI connector will fit.

Can anyone confirm either way before I spend some of my hard earned on something that isn't going to to work?

Yes, I'm aware I should have ordered this with the car, but I wasn't aware of how carp the Bolero was at handling SD cards at that time and didn't think I'd want the MDI...

Yes, I'm aware I should have ordered this with the car, but I wasn't aware of how carp the Bolero was at handling SD cards at that time and didn't think I'd want the MDI...

Not at all... I prefere to do some mods myself.. I'm with you on this one and would like to upgrade the standard Bolero unit to include MDI compatibility.

I'd like to add MDI also, interested.

I thought the MDI interface is fitted behind the Bolero, and its just a simple IPOD connector in the Jumbo Box ?

In the Octavia, yes, however, the MK V Golf had the MDI socket in the armrest and these models are often on ebay...

Obviously, wherever the MDI socket is, it still has to be cabled to the back of the stereo. The blackbox seems to be exactly the same though, I'm just not sure how (if) it would fit by the glovebox in the Octy

In the Octavia, yes, however, the MK V Golf had the MDI socket in the armrest and these models are often on ebay...

Obviously, wherever the MDI socket is, it still has to be cabled to the back of the stereo. The blackbox seems to be exactly the same though, I'm just not sure how (if) it would fit by the glovebox in the Octy

Ah so !

Will the Bolero auto detect the MDI black box, or is some VAG-COM VCDS fannying about required ?

Ah so !

Will the Bolero auto detect the MDI black box, or is some VAG-COM VCDS fannying about required ?

I don't know. I would guess that the Bolero would just pick it up automatically as it plugs directly into the unit as far as I can tell...

Stupidity rules.........whats an MDI?

Mobile Device Interface

Allows you (with the appropriate cable) to control an ipod from the Head Unit.

You can also plug in USB hard drives if you get the USB cable instead of the ipod cable but the Bolero can't cope with lots of files without playlists so I'm not even thinking of going down that route...

Edited by Raglits

I'm about 80% certain all of the below is true and accurate:

There's no recoding required, plug in the MDI + ipod cable + ipod and your bolero recognises. Plug and play :thumbup:

The factory space on the Octavia is in the gap between the headunit cage inside the dash, and the glovebox. Then there's a fly lead off that box goes inside the glovebox and mounts on a wee bracket against the side of the glovebox wall. So all you see if the connector on the end of the fly lead. The actual MDI unit is hidden in the void between the glovebox and the HU in the dashboard. There's plenty of space in there, i saw when i had everything out the dash to fit my fiscon bluetooth.

I was looking around for cheaper ways to do it, but looks like Skoda order for me. You can buy the skoda one over the counter @ skoda parts desk for the same price (~£150) they're going for on ebay for the golf version which comes with wrong trim to attach it inside a golf arm rest. Looking at around £175ish all in for parts / cables.

If it's only £150 from Skoda then I'll get it from them rather than faffing about with the ebay versions... Might give the stealer a call on Saturday morning and see if I can find out.

If it's only £150 from Skoda then I'll get it from them rather than faffing about with the ebay versions... Might give the stealer a call on Saturday morning and see if I can find out.

Let us know how it goes, and please find out the Skoda part numbers for all the bits if you can.

According to the Skoda Accessories website (Link Here) the cable prices range from £20 to £26.

Although I can't seem to find a cost for the head unit to MDI interface cable from the dealers.

As a factory fitted option (when purchasing a car) it's about £155

I've fitted the MDI in my Octy II pre FL. Golf unit off member on here for £90 so came without the little plastic bracket to secure the cable to the glovebox. To be honest getting the lead to the glovebox is a massive PITA because everything is so tight. I took out the ashtray interior and fed the cable into that space and plugged in my ipod. The interface box is wrapped in a chunk of foam and stuffed down the right hand side of the Columbus between the cage and the dash. You don't need to touch the pod or the HDD you use so I don't see the point necessarily in having the things in the glovebox.

Plug & play, multiway connector stacks with exisiting feeds so no "manual" wiring required. No coding, bobs yer uncle etc

Mobile Device Interface

Allows you (with the appropriate cable) to control an ipod from the Head Unit.

You can also plug in USB hard drives if you get the USB cable instead of the ipod cable but the Bolero can't cope with lots of files without playlists so I'm not even thinking of going down that route...

Right O, thanks for that, I have a Stream HU and an aux in, in the Jumbo box which we plug the ipod in to. So with the MDI I can control the ipod from the HU?

Cheers, Lee.

Part numbers for now, I will edit this afternoon after dealer trip to list prices.

MDI unit: 5N0 035 342 B - £150.61

Mounting bracket for right hand drive: 1Z2 035 643 - £3.78

10 x Hex plastic collar nuts: N 910 189 01 - £1.90 (@ £0.19 each)

fly lead holder trim: 4F0 035 909 - £1.55

Fly lead: 1Z0 971 199 - £58.24

iPod to MDI lead: AZO 800 001 - £22.13

Prices exclude VAT. Expensive compared to factory order :giggle: save yourself £100 and order from the factory is my advice! Or get the eBay unit for the Golf, you don't see any of this anyway so it really doesn't matter that its not the skoda unit in a skoda bracket.

EDIT: Prices added from my local dealers. Should all arrive in a couple of days, except the mounting bracket for RHD of which there are none in the UK. Next week for a special order from CZ.

Edited by Mute

Make sure the Stream head unit supports MDI before buying though. Bolero and Columbus HU's will work from what I've seen here, but I'm not sure anyone's reported installing the MDI on a Stream.

So how do they fit? do you connect the MDI unit via the quadlock connector or is there a port that the mdi directly plugs into on the rear of the bolero ?

Undo Quadlock, insert MDI quadlock into rear of head unit, insert original quadlock into MDI quadlock.............simples! emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Nice thread. I have a real problem paying £150 for the interface though. Surely there are aftermarket versions at a fraction of the price that will do the same job?

Stream and stream mp3 definately do not support the MDI interface as it does not have the required inputs or software. The MDI only works with the Columbus and Bolero.

• 8 years later...
On 14/05/2010 at 16:39, wardth said:

Undo Quadlock, insert MDI quadlock into rear of head unit, insert original quadlock into MDI quadlock.............simples! emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Bit late to the part but does anybody know where I can get the MDI quadlock? Can find the other lead to connect to the ipod but not the quadlock. Would love to add this to my Octavia but looks like I might have to get an after market hesd unit which I really don't want to do :(

Edited by MetalMedic

10 hours ago, MetalMedic said:

Bit late to the part but does anybody know where I can get the MDI quadlock?

Do you mean something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232511049777

It'll connect between your headunit and the car to save cutting anything.

Alternatively, you can just buy the MDI end and wire it yourself assuming you're alright with electronics.