Project Ringmuncher - Black Magic vRS

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For handling mate, dont go too low, also going too low ruins the ride IMHO. I went low to start with and looked ace but I got fed up with the ride so I raised it and the rear is a tad lower than std and the front is about 2 fingers between the tyre and the arch and I found it toi handle much sweeter and alos makes the ride nicer too.

as for wiper arms mate, I dont think mk5 ones will be any good. its the mk4 ones you want.

she looks very nice and clean mate, get the rims done anthracite lol, still stand out a bit from the car unlike black that just blends in.

I am thinking of getting the R32 front ARB and going to the neuspeed 28mm rear. but tbh the std front and 22 mm rear is plenty good enough

billy

Cheers guys. I'm extremely happy with the way ot looks now - just need to get the wheels refurbed and powder coated, or save up some pennies for CH reps :p

I managed to do a short track session today and have come to the conclusion that I need much thicker anti roll bars. The suspension seems a little soft into the bends causing a fair amount of lean but I reckon 25mm front and 28mm rear should sort that out, so if anyone's interested in a 22mm adjustable Whiteline rear give me a shout!

The tyres I had on were my Avon ZZ3's which, although not ideal track tyres seemed to handle the heat quite well and I got very little tyre squeal from them. I do have some Contisports ready to go on once the wheels have been refurbed.

One thing I do need to sort out fairly sharpish though is my brakes! I'm thinking of going either 4 or 6 pots, or simply upgrading the discs and pads. Either way they need doing before the ring as the fade was almost unbearable after about 1o minutes!!!

Guest westallc

standard 312 with uprated pads

ds2500 and good discs with better fluid will be fine for what you need and a change of fluid every 6 months will ensure it stays very good

Yeah used brand new oe ones. Apparently the distance between top and bottom remains the same regardless of where the springs are set

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Bits & Bobs!

I've had a few little jobs to do recently and still haven't had time to do them but I'll keep you posted on what's going on.....

First of all I managed to pick up a set of 4 BRAND NEW Continental Contisport Contact3 tyres for my wheels when they've had their refurb, at an eGay bargain price of £149 delivered!!! The cheapest I can find them for elsewhere in my size ar £500!

I've also decided to get the grubby looking brakes sorted:

SDC11903.jpg

You can see they're probably past their best so I've bought brand bew front and rear discs and 5.1 fluid ready for my little road trip in September. Still to be fitted but I'll get round to it soon, as well as painting my calipers black

SDC11904.jpg

SDC11905.jpg

I also got my hands on a Pipercross panel filter which I gather should see an improvement in the breathing combined with an exhaust

A few jobs I have managed to get done this weekend have been fitting my Leon front splitter, fitting some jubillee clips to the centre section of the exhaust which was rattling like hell and raising the rear suspension up slightly to make the car look a bit more even!

Splitter:

SDC11906.jpg

SDC11907.jpg

No pics of the new ride height yet but I'll give her a clean tomorrow and get some pics then :y:

I've also ordered myself a new exhaust as the standard one leans slightly to the right and is annoying the tits off me! The choice was a twin tail piper cat back for now then I'll see about de-catting in the short term ready for when my FMIC is bought and fitted, and the car gets it's remap!

Exhaust:

PIPSSSYSS.jpg

Sorry I have not replied to this thread before, but for the ring that setup is waaaay to low for the ring. I used my old vRS with coilovers on the ring and almost destroyed the drivers side driveshaft. The ring is not a smooth circuit by any sense of the imagination and taking left hand corners at speed (some with big bumps mid corner) will cause the driveshaft on the OSF to rub quiet subsantially on the inner wing. The same will happen at the bottom of the "fox hole" where your suspension will be almost compressed to its maximum extent and bottom out. The only way around that is to either raise the car, or fit a set of springs/dampers that have been designed and setup for use on the ring. Standard coilovers are of a progressive spring design, what you really need if you are that low on the ring is a spring that is linear in nature. Linear springs are great on tracks such as the ring, but can be harsh on normal roads.

Sorry I have not replied to this thread before, but for the ring that setup is waaaay to low for the ring. I used my old vRS with coilovers on the ring and almost destroyed the drivers side driveshaft. The ring is not a smooth circuit by any sense of the imagination and taking left hand corners at speed (some with big bumps mid corner) will cause the driveshaft on the OSF to rub quiet subsantially on the inner wing. The same will happen at the bottom of the "fox hole" where your suspension will be almost compressed to its maximum extent and bottom out. The only way around that is to either raise the car, or fit a set of springs/dampers that have been designed and setup for use on the ring. Standard coilovers are of a progressive spring design, what you really need if you are that low on the ring is a spring that is linear in nature. Linear springs are great on tracks such as the ring, but can be harsh on normal roads.

Thanks for your comments bud. This is going to be my first trip so all advice is welcome!

Thankfully I do have the option to raise this kit by about 40mm all round, which I will probably do at the rear and by about 20mm at the front for the journey (if only for the ferry ramp!)

totally agree with mannyo's advice! DO NOT underestimate the grief you will be giving the car at the 'ring, it's absolutely nothing like it gets on the road. It isn't like a race track in the sense of being nice and smooth and gentle, there are plenty of bumps, camber changes and dips, you will be travelling considerably faster than on the road in equivalent conditions not to mention the kerbs lol. As mannyo says, if you want to run "low" you will need te pretty stiff, and progressive springs won't do that, they will still allow a lot of compression early in the travel. There are dips where you will pretty much bottom the car out with the G force, and the Karousel is waaay rougher than you will expect - the combination of the compression and the downright roughness WILL take the splitter off if you run it low enough to be worried about the train and have spring rates that are tolerable for the road :)

As far as pads are concerned, from my experience I doubt DS2500 would be hard enough on standard discs, depending on how demanding you are on the brakes - personally I would seriously consider taking a set of ready-bedded in hard pads, eg. EBC yellowstuff or DS3000. But if you try 2500's on track conditions beforehand and they work for you then all's well! :)

The 'ring is a unique and awesome place, you will have a ball, but if you do nothing else just RESPECT the place or it will bite you on the ass big style. That way you will have the biggest smile ever for a week afterwards .

Edited by richm

totally agree with mannyo's advice! DO NOT underestimate the grief you will be giving the car at the 'ring, it's absolutely nothing like it gets on the road. It isn't like a race track in the sense of being nice and smooth and gentle, there are plenty of bumps, camber changes and dips, you will be travelling considerably faster than on the road in equivalent conditions not to mention the kerbs lol. As mannyo says, if you want to run "low" you will need te pretty stiff, and progressive springs won't do that, they will still allow a lot of compression early in the travel. There are dips where you will pretty much bottom the car out with the G force, and the Karousel is waaay rougher than you will expect - the combination of the compression and the downright roughness WILL take the splitter off if you run it low enough to be worried about the train and have spring rates that are tolerable for the road :)

As far as pads are concerned, from my experience I doubt DS2500 would be hard enough on standard discs, depending on how demanding you are on the brakes - personally I would seriously consider taking a set of ready-bedded in hard pads, eg. EBC yellowstuff or DS3000. But if you try 2500's on track conditions beforehand and they work for you then all's well! :)

The 'ring is a unique and awesome place, you will have a ball, but if you do nothing else just RESPECT the place or it will bite you on the ass big style. That way you will have the biggest smile ever for a week afterwards .

Cheers again. I have to be honext, I won't be pushing the car on the ring because I know I will have to drive it back again ;)

I do have some track experience and have a very good feel for the car, and as I mentioned before I did a short stint at rockingham with it a few weekends ago and commented on the fact the car felt vague and unpredictable.

I've now wound up the rear so that it's nose down again and before I go the car will be up another 20mm all round.

As for the brakes, I did want Yellowstuff pads, but according to 2 dealers they aren't listed for the vRS or FWD TT, instead I was offered redstuff pads which I will avoid like my psycho ex!

I reckon the 2500 will be a good compromise for the daily drive as well as some "hard-ish" track driving every so often, unless anyone can recommend an alternative???

I'd say the DS2500 will be a good compromise, just spread out your laps, don't do 4 in a row, go for a quiet drive to the viewing carpark at Brunchen between laps and let the brakes cool down (don't put the handbrake on though :giggle: )

We had Weitecs on and lowered by 35mm last year in another members VRS and it was ok on the black stuff but we did run over the kerb at Adenaur Forst and it clonked something quite badly (luckily not the sump) :doh: probably wouldn't have been so bad if we weren't lowered that much.

Edited by chicken_eyebrow

• 4 weeks later...

Fitted my new rims today thanks to flybikeslee:

SDC12129.jpg

SDC12131.jpg

SDC12132.jpg

SDC12130.jpg

Will get some better pics when I've had chance to clean the car and drop it another 20-30mm all round!

Also gave it a service, changed the brakes and *ahem* painted the calipers black *ahem*