PAT's screen replacement

The Plumber

To the amusement of the Autoglass fitter I took some pictures of 'PAT' at various stages during the screen change.

Interesting to see how the Monster has been put together and to note areas that may be behind the unwanted noises that have been coming from the dash and screen area.

4649835204_98eb9750ba_b.jpg

Wiper motor looks easy to access, note signs of corrosion on the Magnesium alloy? components.

4649216867_53d021d7a2_b.jpg

What appears to be some form of electronic control unit, magnesium alloy? casing again, which is surprisingly heavily corroded for her age. Highlighted is a streak of corrosion run off. Positioning of this item could be better as it's very exposed to water coming of the screen and passing the fairly infective seal at the bottom.

4649217529_631d041299_b.jpg

4 clips that form part of the 'A' pillar trim in place. Note the cloth tape fitted by the dealer to cure one of the early creaking noises.

4649217753_6b35e91b7e_b.jpg

4649836532_e2075f60cb_b.jpg

Pin to which the clips are attached.

4649218321_dfff155fbc_b.jpg

The fixing points on the inside of the 'A' pillar trim panel

4649837528_021e8e994a_b.jpg

The light/rain sensor fits into a housing pre bonded to the windscreen (new screen came with this in place) and the rear view mirror clips over the top.

4649219405_8c16e0c9a9_b.jpg

4649838232_8063b07c93_b.jpg

4649840230_a097c9fb8e_b.jpg

Noted under the front edge of the dash two screw fastenings the one on the drivers side appeared to be screwed down.

4649221423_61314aa358_b.jpg

However the passenger side was not, this is an area I believe that noise has emanated from on occasion; is this the culprit emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

4649222055_851db7435c_b.jpg

The fitter did not carry fabric tape so he used 'electrical' tape. Unfortunately I did not get to see it but he also informed me that he had fitted some anti-vibration pads between the screen and the dash, as I had mentioned the noise problems. Will have to wait and see what effect the screen change has had on the occasional creaks and rattles 'PAT' suffers from.

Finally a potential solution for the sunroof shortage:

4649222199_fd7d2d5d13_b.jpg

Go screen-less emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Regards,

TP

4649840230_a097c9fb8e_b.jpg

Noted under the front edge of the dash two screw fastenings the one on the drivers side appeared to be screwed down.

4649221423_61314aa358_b.jpg

However the passenger side was not, this is an area I believe that noise has emanated from on occasion; is this the culprit emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

Hi TP, glad PAT now has his new windscreen :yes:

Did you or the fitter get to that screw and sort it out?...or is that one for the dealer? It could well be the culprit :S

Great photos as usual TP :thumbup:

Out of interest what program / site do you use to highlight photos? and can this also block out reg?

Hope you have a bit of fun now PAT can go out and about over the Bank Holiday and not have to do too much work...just enough to make sure next Sat is free B)

Best wishes

Lady Penelope :sun:

Hi Lady P,

no the fitter did not try and fix the fastener; did not ask and really outside his remit.

Also think the dealer would have great difficulty accessing this area without taking the dash out completely or replacing the screen again. Had difficulty trying to fathom out exactly what it's function is, having looked at the ElsaWin repair guide it's possible to do with a clip associated with holding the front of the dash or screen ventilation system in place. I'm considering firing off these two photo's plus the corroding control unit to both Skoda CZ and SUK; be an interesting response if I get one emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

Regard photo's I use flickr and a number of SMOC members have joined and share a flickr Group I put together;

http://www.flickr.co...skodayeti/pool/

To black out or hide detail like registrations I use windows paint before loading the images onto flickr;

open file containing photo's

right click on image and select from menu 'open with'

select paint

the image should then open in paint, usually have to resize to 50% using the image tab at the top

to cover reg plate I choose the colour from the tiles at the top, then 'spray' over using the airbrush key on the left

once your finished then 'save as' using the file key

Photo then ready for upload.

Possible a computer nurd could undo this level of 'protection' but these days is anything safe from the determind emoticon-0174-bandit.gifemoticon-0112-wondering.gif

Oh one other interesting point I forgot to mention, the new screen appeared to have the remnants of a torn off Skoda Auto label on it besides others, although the Skoda badge in the right hand bottom corner was missing. However there was evidence it had been there at some point and subsequently etched off. Asked the fitter about this; he was unsure but was of the opinion that it cost more to purchase if it was a manufactures branded part.

Regards,

TP

Thanks TP - great photo's there a lot going on around the window area - lots of parts that could easily rub together?

ernieb

Hi TP

Just had a quick peek at the dash screws while mines being replaced and can confirm that both are screwed down on mine. Perhaps this is the cause of your rattle??

Simon

Many thanks Simon emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Also to let all know I've had a very quick response to the photo's I sent to Skoda (both UK & CZ); CZ were concerned that I was not happy and have referred the matter to SUK and they have responded by requesting more detail.

Now awaiting a further response to that additional detail emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

Regards,

TP