Leaking sun roof ?

levnclo

Reading about the sun roof delays and quarrels, I'd like to add a thread concerning sun roof leaks.

My Elegance 140 4x4 (picked up about a month ago) came with the panoramic sunroof which has been great until...it rained.

Rain pours in behind the rear window interior trims and down the black plastic covering the rear seat belts. It flows over the leather seats and into the footwells. Last night was a pretty heavy downpour and there was about 25mm of water in the footwells.

Obviously this is a serious leak!!

I can only assume the rain gets in through the sun roof. Does anyone else have this problem. I sent pictures to the supplying dealership and the car will be seen shortly.

OMG that sounds terrible, mines OK (so far!).

Sounds like your is leaking from the fixed pane rather than the one that moves.

I'd report the fault to customer services as well and tell them how disspointed you are as they can put pressure on the dealer to fix it faster.

Good luck with sorting it out and keep us posted.

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your problem.

I live in Bergen, Norway. Have had my Yeti with sunroof since november and no problem with leaks.

Plenty of rain/snow/ice during this months and she's standing uncovered every single day.

This is what wikipedia says about rainfall in Bergen: "Bergen experiences plentiful rainfall, with annual precipitation measuring 2,250 mm (89 in) on average"

Being an owner of a VW EOS (Sunroof Coupe Convertible) I can tell you that most leaks come from:

-Misaligned, deformed or damaged rubber seals.

-Plugged drain pipes.

I would advise you to visually inspect the vehicle for any signs of the above.

If the owner’s manual suggests any treatment of the rubber seals, I think it would be a great time to try an application.

In the EOS, the manual suggests treating the rubber seals (the roof system is full of them) with a specific ”exotic” (and expensive) VW lubricant. I apply it every six months and so far (3.5 years) no leaks or drips.

As a final resort, visit the dealer.

I had an Eos for three years, great car, no leaks but as speedster says I applied the special lubricant to the seals every six-nine months.

Sounds like a faulty seal with the levnclo's sunroof which is beyond lubrication.

I just hope it gets resolved quickly. :(

Edited by fuzzybunny

This is the first panorama roof equipped Yeti with a leaky roof I have heard of so far, and we have sold quite a few of them, so this is not a common fault... My car has the panorama roof as well, it rests outside in all weather, and hasn't let a drop into the cabin. I even leave it tilted when I expect rain, and enter a dry car the nexts time I go for a drive because the "rain close" function does it's job just great! :thumbup:

All sunroofs that have a frame with drain "pipes" leak from the outside and into the frame.. They are designed that way. The drains that are situated in each corner is supposed to take care of the little water that creeps in between the outer seals and the glass panels.

My guess is that the drain(s) in the rear of the frame the roof is installed in hasn't been fitted properly or is plugged..

When your dealer looks at this, make sure the noise insulation, carpets on the floor etc.. is either properly dried or changed. I would also ask if they could change the headliner to be sure to avoid water stains later.

The mechanics ought to be happy to fit new parts instead of trying to fit a "soaked"/damaged headliner.

I'm sure your Yeti will be good as new again :yes:

Levnclo...Terrible news for you and your Yeti :'(

Hope they find out what the problem was and fix to how it should be :thumbup:

I read you have some photos...can you post then up, did you have a photo of the dent too? and what do you think caused that? You don't think something landed on you car and has caused the sunroof to be twisted and so leak do you? no sign of giant hailstone or if you live near a flightpath any aircarft bits that may have fallen off? or more topical a football/ cricket ball?

Do let us know what the reasons for this problem were...I see a number of suggestions to cause have been put forward...blocked drains, ill fitting seals...etc

... and do let us know what they had to do to rectify it.

All this info is invaluable to all existing Yeti owners with the Panoramic sunorof :S or indeed for anyone considering purchasing a Yeti :yes:

Presume your dealer ? has given you a courtesy car.. hopefully a Yeti! although it depends as some dealers in more rural areas seem to be out of yetis due to demand...James could probably lend you one as he has 4 in stock if you are anywhere near him in London?

Given the problem with sunroof supply ... :wonder:... have they given you any indication as to how long it may take if it needs replacing as a whole unit?

... I do hope this is not the case and it just needs a new seal or something simple :thumbup:

best wishes

Lady Penelope :sun:

ps

I know you don't want to hear this... but for the record our Hettie the Yeti lives outside and has encountered torrential rain and heavy snow sitting on roof all with no leaks :no:

In the EOS, the manual suggests treating the rubber seals (the roof system is full of them) with a specific â€exotic†(and expensive) VW lubricant. I apply it every six months and so far (3.5 years) no leaks or drips.

Exactly what is it they recommend using ???

:yes:

Hmmm not many places sell it huh ? None in the UK unless VW Dealers do ?

Know anywhere ?

:|

VW dealers should have it.

Some people use a DuPont chemical product called Crytox, which is supposed to be the same thing, and you may be able to find it in a less expensive form. I personally would not recommend it as it is not 100% sure that it is the same stuff.

By the way, what does the Yeti manual recommend for rubber seal treatment?

Are you sure that something as expensive and exotic is required?

P.S.

The VW lubricant is recommended for the EOS because, opposed to other lubs, it is supposed to not attack the rough aerodynamic finish of the roof seals and prevent aerodynamic whistling. It is also an excellent, chemically inert lub that will preserve the seals, without risk of corroding or swelling them.

VW dealers should have it.

Some people use a DuPont chemical product called Crytox, which is supposed to be the same thing, and you may be able to find it in a less expensive form. I personally would not recommend it as it is not 100% sure that it is the same stuff.

By the way, what does the Yeti manual recommend for rubber seal treatment?

Are you sure that something as expensive and exotic is required?

P.S.

The VW lubricant is recommended for the EOS because, opposed to other lubs, it is supposed to not attack the rough aerodynamic finish of the roof seals and prevent aerodynamic whistling. It is also an excellent, chemically inert lub that will preserve the seals, without risk of corroding or swelling them.

Dont think the yeti manual states anything. but it does sound like the stuff that should be used for anything like a sunroof to me ??

Dont think the yeti manual states anything. but it does sound like the stuff that should be used for anything like a sunroof to me ??

I agree. This lub will not do any harm to the seals and it may do alot of good. I have been using it for almos 3.5 years on the EOS.

With treatments once every six months, one bottle should last up to 3 years

Edited by Speedster

Thanks for all the sympathy!

Please dont get me wrong, we have been thrilled with the Yeti, especially the handling, economy, and overall build quality.

We have not experieced any issues with rattles or headlights.

From reading the above posts I think the problem will be traced back to a blocked drain.

All visible seals appear to be intact.

I am relieved to read that the leak appears to be a bonus feature of my car alone and not an inherent fault.!

The Yeti will be picked up on Thursday..watch this space

Edited by levnclo

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update:

The Yeti was picked up by Beadles Skoda in Maidstone on 18th June. Great service.

We were left with a Roomster...OK....fairly new but dirty inside. Banana peel in passanger door bin.

No updates were received so I chased up the dealer on 23rd.

Then again on 24th as I got no call back as promised. Poor service!

Evening of 24th I was told that the car would not be looked at that week as there were insufficient technicians. Frustrating!!

June 28th pm phoned Beadles to see if there was any progress....none yet. Arrrggghhh!!

Phoned back and talked to manager who assured me I would be kept updated. Much better!!

29th..contacted to say leak could not be found. Glad to be CONTACTED...but Arrghhhhh!!

Drove 1 hour and 15minutes to Maidstone to show technician footage of water dripping into car..(I had already shown this to the manager when he collected the Yeti) My time, my fuel, my brand new car faulty.......................my fault??

30th..contacted pm and told leak could not be found. Skoda have been contacted and advised dealer 2 or 3 other cars have the same problem.

Must be frustrating for Beadles not finding a leak. The car has been largely stripped out of all interior trim and sprayed with chalk inside to mark the line of any drips. I assume it is being squirted with a jet wash...BUT..is that the same as falling rain?

I, on the other hand, have been without my new car for 13 days and the problem is yet to be traced.

Roomster verdict...OK...but...please..please can I have my Yeti back ?

Levndo,

Sorry to hear you are still having issues - I think that the lack of updates is one of the most frustrating things about some dealers - I really hope you get it sorted.

ernieb

Thanks Ernieb.

I note your Yeti is Muscovado, Gobi sand leather interior, annapura alloys, TDi 140....well...SNAP!!

I'm sure the Yeti will be sorted soon.

I know it's not the dealers fault and it must be difficult for them if they cannot find the leak. I am just glad I got some film of the water running in on my camera to prove it is there!! Might put it up on you tube for other members to look at if I can discover how to do it!!

We could call the film, "Yeti taking a leak"...wonder how many hits that would get??!!

All the best,

Levnclo.

Indeed.......but right now its that sort of laughter that scares people and turns into tears!!!

We're fine here. Just goes to show how spoilt you can get in a short space of time..I';m missing the leather seats..touch screens..smoooooth engine. The Roomster we've been left with is a perfectly decent vehicle but I think the Yeti is in another stratosphere!

Nobody contacted us yesterday (Groan) so I'll be on the phone again later!

Having braved the technology mountain I have actually managed to put the leak footage on You Tube!!

And yes..it is called Yeti taking a leak!!

This was after a night of heavy rain. The car is parked with the nose facing slightly up hill. The rain had eased by morning but was still coming down. Forgive poor quality footage taken with my camera. The previous day the car had been at a Skoda dealers in Eastbourne following a downpour a week earlier which caused the rear seats to be soaked. I was told then that no leak could be found...hence my eagerness to grab the camera and get some footage!!

And YES..the sunroof was closed.

And NO we didn't put 'swimming pool' as an optioal extra!

Regards to all,

Levnclo.

Edited by levnclo