pipercross Venom TFSI intake now fitted and logged :-(

well i used to run one of these and it was awesome, but since stripped everything off my car to sell up.

SDC10273.jpg

change of mind im just going to go stage 1+ with my car now instead and have it a bit more usable in everyday life, so just fuel pump, intake, intercooler and a tweaked stage 1 map. The exhaust will stay as it is.

Anyways thanks to MdMay ive now got this pipercross intake, which is an enclosed filter and hopefully quieter than the ITG, although i cant see it performing anywhere as highly as the ITG.

Here are the pics of it

In parts

SDC11581.jpg

Inside the filter

SDC11578.jpg

The filter inside its housing

SDC11579.jpg

The intake filter and inner frame work

SDC11577.jpg

The intake all connected ready to go

SDC11576.jpg

The only thing that is missing is the pipe that connects it to the slam panel air intake slot, so i would need to get hold of one of them

The filter is a strange design where it turns in on itself.  It also seems oiled.  Anyway Im not massively impressed with the filter itself and am tempted to swap the filter for a dry pipercross filter like PDT is using on his Dbilias/Pipercross hybrid intake.

Anyways, ill be fitting it next week sometime, and wil be sure to log my car before hand to see how the boost and MAF outputs are.  Then ill do the same again with the pipercross intake to see how they have hopefully  improved.

This is the filter i might use instead.

IMG_0086-1.jpg

IMG_0087-1.jpg

photos and logs to come once fitted

Edited by vRSy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was looking at one of these myself (weighing up the various intake options now available) so would be interested in seeing the logs.

...actually, only two days ago I searched Briskoda for "Pipercross Venom" for a post just like this, but found nothing! Found quite a bit on the MkV communities though.

I just got a feeling of de ja vu, I'm sure I was reading something like this on the MK5 forum....... :giggle:

Very conservative Sy, and big result on the freebie!! :thumbup:

Edited by Pagey1255

I just got a feeling of de ja vu, I'm sure I was reading something like this on the MK5 forum....... :giggle:

Very conservative Sy, and big result on the freebie!! :thumbup:

me to i just read this reply on the mk5 forum as well :giggle::thumbup:

Fitted the intake tonight, what a mission that was.

the other month my bonnet release catch sheared off, so today i stripped all the door sills off andunder the steering wheel and released it manually.  what a ball ache :grin:, it took longer to do this than it did to fit the intake.

they supply jubilee clips for the pipercross intake, i reused the std spring clips because i have the flexi tool for installing them, so it was easy.  15 minutes, start to finish i reckon.

first of all then fitment.  

The main issue i have found and plan on sorting out, is the securing thread is barely long enough to secure to the engine block, and the nut they do supply isnt a thread lock one, so will very probably vibrate loose, easily sorted with a nylon lock nut, when i go work tomorrow.

I also presumed i was missing the pipe that fitted from the filter to the front slam panel, however after a phonecall with pipercross, it turns out that there isnt a pipe at all, and they found MAF readings were higher with no pipe attached.

how loud is it??(bearing in mind i wanted a quiet intake)

well the answer to that is very loud. id say its on par with the ITG noise wise, and the fluttering is even louder.  Ah well its on now, ill leave it like that :grin:

How does it perform MAF wise over stock, well im going to go out and log it at about 8 tonight, hopefully by then the temp wil have dropped to about 21 degrees like it was last time.

ill post up my findings :happy2:

Edited by vRSy

Oh cr@p, I bought this kit as I thought it was quiet! :doh:

I will hopefully be fitting mine tomorrow.

Is the breather filter needed on the K03 cars?

Have you completely removed the OEM rectangular ducting on the slam panel or are you keeping it on?

Oh cr@p, I bought this kit as I thought it was quiet! :doh:

I will hopefully be fitting mine tomorrow.

Is the breather filter needed on the K03 cars?

Have you completely removed the OEM rectangular ducting on the slam panel or are you keeping it on?

completely removed it, and the filter is something that was only required on very early cars i believe.

i does sound quiet good, to be fair i was blipping the throtle so i would make it worse

anyway done a few logs, initial impressions not good.

peak air flow of 176g/s, as a pose to 204g/s with the stock air intake.  the car was logged immediately after fitting, so maybe it needs adapting......, so what ive done is removed the map from my car and reinstalled it, this should reset the ECU to a certain degree.

The other point is it was still 26o outside, and my inlet temps started off at 31o and peaked at 6250rpm at 44o

ill try again tomorrow i think,

quick question though, is there a set way of how the MAF sensor sits in its housing or can it go in either way up??

so just fuel pump, intake, intercooler and a tweaked stage 1 map.

I don't remember you changing out the intercooler - what did you go for in the end? I seem to remember you were looking at the twin take for a while but nothing came of it.

I don't remember you changing out the intercooler - what did you go for in the end? I seem to remember you were looking at the twin take for a while but nothing came of it.

i haven't yet thats why my intake temps are horrendous, its on my mod list because the car suffers massively with heat soak for some reason.

another point with this intake is that there is no heat shield to block the manifold and turbo heat

Edited by vRSy

Ah ok.

Now we've had some hot weather I'm officially pleased with my S3 one - I seem to remember posting last year when the warmer weather was with us that the car felt flat and had lost some of it's 'oomph' - still feels nice and nippy the last few weeks, certainly haven't noticed any performance drop off how I did with the stock intercooler and on my previous Leon.

Admittedly the labour charge for fitting the damn thing probably makes me *want* to believe it's making a massive difference :giggle:

can some one check on their intake, which way the MAF sensor is inserted, ie is the flat side of the plug, on the right or left??, im thinking maybe its in upside down,

Edited by vRSy

ITG is long gone, muckipup is running that now.

anyhow, i ad a look at the pic in he first post, the flat bit is on the right, and the clip is on top. this is how it is fitted on mine so it must be ok.

the Intake air temps were through the roof, so maybe if i can knock up a heat shield and some relective tape on it, to make it a it more resitant to heat.

I think i know why this intake is £150 cheaper than the ITG, because your paying for whay you get(although i did get this free lol)

I have the pipercross open cone filters in stock and they are are cheap at £36.99 + vat. Is it an 80mm neck you need as I have 2 second hand ones here that I can do really cheap.

The little breather filter is for the DV if you have a K04 turbo fitted. I dont really like the idea of that as its best to recirculate the air back into the intake.

I bought a heat shield from BSH for £20. Evoms do a nice heat shield for the same money. I also wrapped my BSH air intake with exhaust wrap and then wrapped that in reflective tape to reduce the heat soak. I have not done any logging as to whether the inlet temps have been reduced. But its fair to say that the pipe gets no where near as hot and is luke warm to touch, rather than scorching! So I would summise its even cooler inside the pipe now? Cost me about £25 all in to wrap the intake pipe.

I have the pipercross open cone filters in stock and they are are cheap at £36.99 + vat. Is it an 80mm neck you need as I have 2 second hand ones here that I can do really cheap.

The little breather filter is for the DV if you have a K04 turbo fitted. I dont really like the idea of that as its best to recirculate the air back into the intake.

70mm diameter pipe :thumbup:

If the logs don't improve then stick a JR/Jetex open cone filter on there, it will match your paintwork as well! ;)

polo-jr-2.jpg

Badger5 on seatcupra.net sells them, I think we have a jetex area on Briskoda also?

I think you'd want a FR-07003 for a 70mm neck I.D., good for 320bhp.

My venom kit is waiting for me at home so I will let you know if it included a heatshield later.

Edited by Bogwoppit