Project Blue Bullet DRL. Updated

Well i have been looking at DRL for some time now but i didn't want to pay a fortune for proper S6 ones and i also didnt want the Chav Fairy light types that have about 60 LED's per strip.

I did some hunting and found these S6 style ones for £30 delivered on Ebay so thought i would take a Punt as if it didn't work i hadn't lost much.

Screenshot2010-07-06at095006.png

So they arrived last week and today was the first chance i had to actually fit them. However i wanted it looking as OEM as possible.

I was confident enough to take the headlights apart but on looking i doubted there would be the required space.

So as i had taken the lower end grille bits out before to colour code i decided i would look to see if they fit. As the they were just about perfect for length etc i thought i would have a go.

So taking a Drill and a Stanley Knife i proceeded to cut out the Gap required. Once i had done this i was left with some holes. However i had a cunning plan.

Anyway the lights came with Either 3M tape to secure or a bracket to use Screws. I decided that the tape was the best option so i cut the gap out so that one of the recessed bits of the Grille would provided the perfect securing platform.

Once that was done and i was happy with the positioning etc i stuck them down with tape.

Now for the gaps i decided i needed some way of filling them. I had some spare bathroom sealant knocking around so i used that. Smoothed it all off as best i can using my finger and a knife and once it is dry i will paint it race blue using as a touch up pen that i have. That way unless you look really closely they will look like an OEM fitment (Hopefully)

my only dilema now is to find a wire that is linked to the Ignition so that these come on with the ignition. Does anyone have any idea where i could find one in the engine. My only other option is to wire them into the Sidelights. But i would prefer to have them on wether the lights are on or not.

Here are a few pics. Don't worry the sealant will be Blue once it has dried.

f31730d5.jpg

And working

65e2207b.jpg

Edited by vRSCarl

Find a switched live in the fuse box, run a wire, job done!

Any idea which ones are? Also what type of fuse should i put in?

Very nice mate :thumbup:

Piccies on the car too! :D

I will do it will be a couple of days yet mate as the sealant takes about 18hours to dry then i want to get a good finish with the touch up pen so that will be 3-4 coats then at least 2 of lacquer

But will update the thread with the finished result :thumbup:

Carl, this is exactly what I had planned on doing with mine..........bugger it, now everyone will think I am cloning the Blue Bullet!!!

Look forward to the 'installed' pic's and accompanying wiring guide, or better still I'll pop round and you can do them for me! :giggle:

Carl, this is exactly what I had planned on doing with mine..........bugger it, now everyone will think I am cloning the Blue Bullet!!!

Look forward to the 'installed' pic's and accompanying wiring guide, or better still I'll pop round and you can do them for me! :giggle:

Yeah yeah you know you just wanna be like me.

Oh and you keep saying you will pop round but have yet to materialise :giggle: :giggle:

No problem though i can do them for you. :thumbup:

They'll look fantastic when you get them on the car.

Are there any issues with the legality (light angle or owt) of them or are they totally fine?

Edited by BigC

As long as they aren't pointing up in to the Sky they should be fine :giggle:

They are only 1.5W LED's and there are only 8 Per Unit. So it should be fine.

Once i have done them i will speak to a few friends i have in Traffic and let them have a look.

being ex plod, the lights should NOT be an issue providing they are white and not any other colour, and they don't burn out your retina's when you look at them :D

seriusly though, they look very good and will set off the front a treat. My lad is looking to do something similar to his black VRS II.

there is a product on the market hich garages use to stick trim onto car bodywork - think they call it gorilla glue or something like that - sticks just about anything and is water tght

Yeah i've got some Gorilla Glue and it is very good. But that 3M tape is just as good.

Put it this way it was a good job i didn't fook up the positioning as i tested how strong it was and they aint budging without get a knife to them :thumbup:

As long as they aren't pointing up in to the Sky they should be fine :giggle:

They are only 1.5W LED's and there are only 8 Per Unit. So it should be fine.

Once i have done them i will speak to a few friends i have in Traffic and let them have a look.

Good stuff, hurry up and get them onto the car!

Good stuff, hurry up and get them onto the car!

LOL Patience young man. As i said the Sealant will take a good 18hours to dry and then the Painting is going to be another couple of days so your looking around the weekend :thumbup:

Will soon find out :giggle:

I will use some Plastic primer if needs be first.

If not Plan B will be to scrap out the sealant and then use Putty or Modelling paste and try again :yes:

Edited by vRSCarl

Looking good Carl!

I remember someone posting DRLs that were integrated into the headlamps as an aftermarket

solution available on a European website. They were a few hundred Euros iirc

so this is a nice alternative.

Well update

Because the dog for some reason took a liking to the wire i had to move the Grilles from where i had been leaving them to dry.

I had a quick touch test of the Sealant and it's bone dry :thumbup: Maybe i wasn't quite using an 8mm x 6mm bead as it said on the tin which could be why it's dried in a Couple of hours :giggle:

Anyhow i have painted one coat of touch up paint on it and im quite impressed. It seems to be sticking but will have a look in an hour or so.

Here are a few more pics

a1cb96e1.jpg

8ded5d00.jpg

Just struggling now to find a Switched live in the Fuse panel in the car.

Just want to check im doing this right. I attach the Black wire to the Negative side of the Battery and then the red wire to somewhere in the fuse box which is live when the Ignition is on????

I have found a way of tapping into the wire on the High Pressure sensor for the Aircon which only comes on when the ignition is on. What i don't want to do though is Knacker up the aircon if i use scotch block connectors to tap in to the wire.

Any help would be appreciated :thumbup:

Well update

Because the dog for some reason took a liking to the wire i had to move the Grilles from where i had been leaving them to dry.

I had a quick touch test of the Sealant and it's bone dry :thumbup: Maybe i wasn't quite using an 8mm x 6mm bead as it said on the tin which could be why it's dried in a Couple of hours :giggle:

Anyhow i have painted one coat of touch up paint on it and im quite impressed. It seems to be sticking but will have a look in an hour or so.

Here are a few more pics

a1cb96e1.jpg

8ded5d00.jpg

Just struggling now to find a Switched live in the Fuse panel in the car.

Just want to check im doing this right. I attach the Black wire to the Negative side of the Battery and then the red wire to somewhere in the fuse box which is live when the Ignition is on????

I have found a way of tapping into the wire on the High Pressure sensor for the Aircon which only comes on when the ignition is on. What i don't want to do though is Knacker up the aircon if i use scotch block connectors to tap in to the wire.

Any help would be appreciated :thumbup:

The problem being with most modern VAG stuff is everything seems to be permananent live! Im sure from memory there is a swithed live in the headlight switch fitting :thumbup:

Only problem is you're not going through the fusebox then, but LED's hardly draw any current so you should be ok :giggle:

Oh and you keep saying you will pop round but have yet to materialise :giggle: :giggle:

One day I will suprise you!! B)

8ded5d00.jpg

I find Evergreen Complete to be a good product for restoring lawns........ :giggle: I can fetch some round when I finally materialise.