VCDS and Yeti (5L)

the_raz

Hi!

I noticed that following things can easily be done on a Yeti using the VCDS

1) Enable cornering lights using the fog lights (if not already enabled from factory)

- Enter module 09 - Central conv.

- click 07 - Coding

- select long coding helper

- go to byte 14, and make sure that bit 7 (Cornering lights) is enabled

- exit the long coding helper and click Do it!

2) Enable dial staging (the speedo and tacho sweeps to maximum value and return to 0) after turning ignition on

This one is available in the adaption, so there's no need for any long codings, bits and bytes

- enter module 17 - Instruments

- click 10 - Adaptation

- select channel from the drop-down menu and scroll downwards until you find Staging

- select "Active" from the new value drop-down meny

- click Do it!

3) Display the speed set for the cruise control in the bottom left corner of the MFD: (sorry for the fuzzy pic, it's a bit tricky getting a decent picture when driving...)

MFD.jpg

This figure will show the actual speed, not the speed shown by the speedo. I checked with a Satnav, and the accuracy of this figure is within 1 km/h. The info is visible when the cruise control is switched on (switch to the left) and the car is moving, otherwise the total driven distance is shown. If the figures are small it means that the speed is set but the cruise control is not active, if the figures are big as on this photo the cruise control is active.

- enter module 17 - Instruments

- click 10 - Adaptation

- select channel from the drop-down menu and scroll downwards until you find Cruise Control Display

- select "Active" from the new value drop-down meny

- click Do it!

Enjoy the new functions on your SM

At the moment I am also working on calibrating the fuel consumption as shown in the MFD (also available in Instruments-> adaptation), but as this requires actual fuel refills for the verification it will take some weeks before I know for sure that this works.

Basically what I do is reset the long-term data and trip meter in the MFD upon refueling, and during my next refuel I calculate the correct consumption based on amount of fuel filled and distance driven, and compare that to the data shown by the car. Then in the adaptaition for module 17 Instruments there is a channel called something like "calibrate consumption and range" where you can edit a percentage to correct the display. I did the first correction yesterday, and need to drive a couple of hundred miles before I can verify that the change had any effect.

The cruise control setting is not supported by any other model than Passats I think, so no surprise there. ;) My 2010 O² vRS doesn't support it either.

OTOH it might be worth mentioning if you have a manual or automatic transmission... mine is a DSG and has the gears where the speed is normally shown for the CCS.

Edited by Theresias

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Tried staging and cruise control display on my two Yetis but only staging worked, what software version does Your cluster have?

Mine have SW: 5L0 920 840 E H08 0305.

Regards,

Ingo

Hi Ingo!

I've been on vacation so sorry for the long delay in answering you.

I have the following software version:

SW: 5L0 920 840 F H08 0305

I also have DSG, and the gears are shown in the upper right corner of the MFD, whereas the cruise speed is shown in the bottom left - see the (fuzzy) pic posted.

Update on the fuel consumption calibration:

I changed the figure to 103 % (was originally 100 %), and now the long-term (memory #2) average seems to be spot on! I will follow up during the coming refuelings, but at least currently it seems to be very accurate.

Hi!

I have also been on vacation, (in Germany), so i have not been able to follow this tread..

The problem with the Cruise control display surely lies in the E/F version of the software.

You must have a very new car since my wife´s car was built W10 but have the "old" software.

Maybe there needs to be a newer software in some other modules too, ie the steering wheel controller or engine controller...

The staging function and all other changes i have made makes the car a little bit more personal i think.

Than You for Your help!

Regards

Ingo

The problem with the Cruise control display surely lies in the E/F version of the software.

You must have a very new car since my wife´s car was built W10 but have the "old" software.

Hi!

I have, it's built around week 20-21!

I am happy to read that you found the tips useful.

Matz

Hi!

I don't have the panoramic sunroof so I don't know. I remember reading some comments about this in the Yeti section, and it seems that others also have this same "problem". If you have access to VCDS, you could check the module 09 - Central convenience for any related settings. - that's how I found these changes.

Please post info if you manage to change this, I 'm sure it will be appreciated.

Another update on OBC fuel consumption calibration: After filling up an over half-empty tank I calculated the "deviation" of the OBC to 101,5%, but as I don't think decimals are allowed (coming to think of it, I never tried!) I set the correction to 102%. I will recheck on the next time I fill up

• 3 weeks later...

Could anyone tell me which channel I need to adapt to enable the "staging" function on a Yeti? I use the original VAS diagnostics, and it doesn't have any description of what I am about to change if i enter adaption via self diagnostics of the instrument cluster.

The activation of staging is not available through GFF either..

It's sad to consider buying VCDS software when you work at a dealer.. Says something of how BAD the original VAS diagnostics software is.. :'(

It's sad to consider buying VCDS software when you work at a dealer.. Says something of how BAD the original VAS diagnostics software is.. :'(

:) Let me see if I can get you some help. You get a lot of that with your VAS tool too don't ya?

:) Let me see if I can get you some help. You get a lot of that with your VAS tool too don't ya?

Nope.. Not much help when working with the VAS 5051B... Just lot's of programmes that doesn't work, lot's of non existent programmes on both new and old cars when working with GFF, and no possibillty to "go manual" via self diagnostics because of non incomplete repair manuals with no lists of channels etc.. :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

I might just go ahead and buy VCDS of some sort in the future.. :smirk:

Nope.. Not much help when working with the VAS 5051B... Just lot's of programmes that doesn't work, lot's of non existent programmes on both new and old cars when working with GFF, and no possibillty to "go manual" via self diagnostics because of non incomplete repair manuals with no lists of channels etc.. :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

I might just go ahead and buy VCDS of some sort in the future.. :smirk:

I found staging under VSD -> Instruments -> Adaptation on my 2010 Golf (US market Gti) this weekend using a 5051B.

• 5 months later...

Hi!

since these codings can't be set using the maxi-dot anyways I don't see why not. But I am really no expert on the different electronics modules, just an adventurous guy with equipment too powerful for his and his cars' safety emoticon-0140-rofl.gifemoticon-0140-rofl.gifemoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Honestly I don't know how if the Maxi-Dot is somehow related to the version of the electronics module, but if the module is the same then the coding should be possible. If you have access to a VCDS cable I suggest you just try according to my directions. If the options are present in the modules, then they should work.

I think you need to find a member on here who has VCDS, rather than a dealer, as they don't appear to be able to do it, and also it may only cost you a pint or so! Look in the VDCS section on the main forum page.

Just realised am am posting in that section - came via a link. oopsemoticon-0111-blush.gif

Mike

I just activated the "staging" function on my 2010 Yeti with the dealer diagnostic tool VAS 5051 B, so even dealers can do it if is possible on the specific car. I did it via self diagnostics: 17 (instrument adress), choose adaption (12) , and then a list of possible things to adapt opens. Staging is long down on the list. Press "staging", and change from not active to active. Done emoticon-0103-cool.gif

Jon A

• 2 weeks later...

I've been able to deactivate my front indicator bulb monitoring on my BMW so I can install LED bulbs without any resistors and errors. Does anyone know if this is possible to do on our YETI with VCDS? maybe in module 09..?

Basically I'm looking to deactivate the numberplate bulb monitoring so I can place white LED bulbs - there's no room for resistors and the LED (no can error) I bought throws an error. Does this parameter exist and where?

Not sure if my wife will appreciate staging but sure looks neat !