R32 / TT Cast Wishbones

Will probably do this on mine when the wishbone bushes give up the ghost :thumbup: Must have a go in Lucas car first and see how it is.

I see you already have the TT steering rack :thumbup:

The wishbones, rack and the castor increase SuperPro bushes ( SPF3397K ) are an awesome combo ;)

A thicker front ARB and the S3 lower strut where put on at the same time. It really is a different car now. The front is flat and level through the corners. Far more power be accurately applied.

My car is 4x4 with ESP, and I can have either the TT rack or ESP, but not both emoticon-0106-crying.gif

A few pics for reference:

R32_WishBones_00.jpg

(the blue bits are just protective covers)

R32_WishBones_01.jpg

Edited by snow_muncher

so those are the r32 cast wish bones?

as the leon bam writting is throwing me a bit?

are loens the same as r32 ones? :thumbup:

The Golf R32, Seat Leon Cupra R and Audi TT (both 4x4 & 2WD) use these cast wishbones.

All the same part number.

These particular ones where, I assume, taken from a LCR.

So to fit these all you need is the wishbones/ball joints and they will fit straight on?

Basically, Yes

A few decent washers will be needed to help fit the new ball joint to the hub.

The real "secret ingredient" in this setup are the SuperPro bushes.

They push the rear of the wishbone out. This new angle somehow removes the understeer ...

So to put it another way, Its' the new bushes you want. You just have to get the cast wishbone to get the bushes !

If you read the guide on the mkiv forum, you'll see you can replace the hub and a few other bits as well.

If you do all that too, the car can be tracked as an Audi TT, as opposed to being tracked to "custom" values as it where.

superpro or whiteline (thats what i have fitted) all of this combined makes such a difference!

Jay, you need the balljoints too as they tt balljoints fit to the wishbone differently (there is adjustment for camber in the w/bones as they are slotted.

You need a washer to locate and centralise the tt balljoint in your hub as the shaft on the tt baljoint is slightly longer so needs the washer to allow the nut to tighten down correctly.

Edited by sweedish

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

so those are the r32 cast wish bones?

as the leon bam writting is throwing me a bit?

are loens the same as r32 ones? :thumbup:

Leon Cupra R's have a different part number for their cast A-arms 1ML407151 and 1ML407152

TT/R32 use the same a-arm 8N0407151D and 8N0407152D

The Cupra R also has a different part number for the front bush in their a-arm as well

Would love to know what the actual difference is with the Cupra R stuff. :|+

snow_muncher - could you see any difference in the a-arms themselves??

Does that "Leon BAM" arm have a number cast on it somewhere???

I am just thinking that seeing as the a-arms come as a unit with the bushes preinstalled if you order them as a part , and the cupra r bush is different (- probably stiffer rubber?) , that may account for the different a-arm part numbers in the catalogue, even though the casting is identical.

Should be confirmable if we can get a number off your casting.

Edit ..sorry snow_muncher, you already said above:

"Cast Wishbone: 8NO 407 165 and 8NO 407 166"

So ... you little beauty! :thumbup:

I'm going to order the Leon Cupra R front bushes - almost 100% sure they will be stiffer than the stock ones I have now.

I was thinking about the DEFCON bush mod, but this will be almost as good for my purposes keeping the larger bush. :yes:

Edited by graeme86

they are the same w/bones, just different part numbers for different models

8No denotes tt

1ml denotes leon

Edited by Oet

couple of mm thick washer by the way, nothing major.

So the tapers on the balljoints have the same angles and they pull up fine then? It's just the stud that's a bit longer on the TT ones?

If that's the case, then I want some of these too! I already have 2 sets of wishbones so would be good to add to the collection!

For some strange reason I thought the TT BJ's had different taper angles, so they would be much weaker fitted to a non-TT upright. If that's not the case then jobs a goodun! Would be good to get the two types of BJ next to eachother and measure the difference in stud length to make it official. I have a couple of standard ones lying around somewhere so I can measure them.

Anyone ever got a price from a VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat dealer on these wishbones? My Skoda parts guy is normally pretty good at getting me random non-Skoda VAG parts, so I might try him.

snow_muncher - could you see any difference in the a-arms themselves??

Does that "Leon BAM" arm have a number cast on it somewhere???

From what I remember they are part numbers 8N0407151D and 8N0407152D.

Maybe someone incorrectly painted "Leon BAM" onto them ?

I used a part finding service, and those are what turned up.

Can see no difference with Oet's wishbones.

So the tapers on the balljoints have the same angles and they pull up fine then? It's just the stud that's a bit longer on the TT ones?

Anyone ever got a price from a VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat dealer on these wishbones? ...

The balls joints I've got are TT ones.

Mine have been modified and fit under the wishbone rather than on top of the wishbone, in order to clear the rotors.

Haven't driven the car enough to be able to tell whether this works, or screws the geometry, etc (as the wishbones are sitting @ a higher angle).

As for dealership prices for wishbones - £150 per side when I last looked.

does the arm come with bushes already installed?

I thought it would come bare.

If it comes bushed, and you do want to buy new, get the lcr arm, as its already 2wd and setup for fwd optimum handling.

Otherwise buy second hand, and fit lcr front bush/superpro poly bush and whiteline/superpro rear castor bush.

I have seen both, the cast arms are the same, cant comment on the stock bushes as mine came secondhand with polybushes installed.

Snow_munchers were also second hand and have been fully polybushed.

Dont buy new, these cost a fortune, i bought a pair for £80 polybushed, i just repainted, they come up on scn or ed38 every now and then.

The taper on the balljoints is slightly different, to pull the tt balljoint into our hub properly and allow it to seat correctly a 2mm washer is required, iirc the tt balljoint is slightly longer but cant measure it now as they are on the car.

Thanks. :thumbup:

I am pretty certain the difference in the part numbers is because the installed front bush is different on the Cupra R, so they give their "assembly" a different part number.

As you can see in your first picture, the casting itself has 8NO 407 165 on it, but the listed part number if you want to buy one is 8N0407151D, because they come with the two bushes installed as well, so the sundry parts now become an all-in-one "new assembly" with its own number..

The TT and R32 versions are the same number because they have identical bushings from the factory as well.

:yes: