Stone Chipping

dobbie

Warning to all Skoda Yeti owners .You're new pride and joy which cost you 15000- 23000 will have paint chips on both rear passenger doors within weeks and that's with mud guards dealer fitted, itcould be worse. The chipping is at the bottom of the rear doors. Skoda know there is problem because they have a film available as part of their protection pack for off roading. This film should have been put on all yeti's as standard to stop chipping in normal use.I have been to my dealer who was very helpful Thomson & Potter who by chance had brought in this film for another stone chip customer. Phoned Skoda service but told it was not a recognised problem come on Skoda who are you trying to kid ? . Skoda do the decent thing get the dealers to contact there customers and fit the film. Don't ruin you're good reputation for such a small item.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warning to all Skoda Yeti owners .You're new pride and joy which cost you 15000- 23000 will have paint chips on both rear passenger doors within weeks and that's with mud guards dealer fitted, itcould be worse. The chipping is at the bottom of the rear doors. Skoda know there is problem because they have a film available as part of their protection pack for off roading. This film should have been put on all yeti's as standard to stop chipping in normal use.I have been to my dealer who was very helpful Thomson & Potter who by chance had brought in this film for another stone chip customer. Phoned Skoda service but told it was not a recognised problem come on Skoda who are you trying to kid ? . Skoda do the decent thing get the dealers to contact there customers and fit the film. Don't ruin you're good reputation for such a small item.

Thanks for the info dobbie, strange indeed. :dull:

Yes, this is a common problem. When picking mine up, I was talking to the dealer principal who noticed the protective film by the rear doors/wheel arches as I had opted for the Rough Road Pack. He mentioned he'd just had to deal with an "unhappy customer" who'd been a victim of the stone chips in that particular area. I can't really figure out why that area of the vehicle should be more susceptible to chipping but it definitely is from all the reports there have been on this.

dave, if I've ordered the rough road package, will I get the door film protection too???

Hi Mac,

yes the film is standard with the rough road pack, although not mentioned by Skoda in any UK literature. This was discussed within the early SMOC membership, although at first it was thought to be an early production thing. Only later was it realised that in fact the rough road pack that was the common denominator.

4354442842_bd98f49e89_z.jpg

Regards,

TP

Any one know if dealer can order and fit this for a reasonable charge would rather get it done before damage is done. If pigs do fly and skoda uk does offer to fit the protective film in due course, would they respray the damaged doors ? I tend to think not !

Somewhere in the dim and not so distant past, in a previous thread, the parts numbers were given for these "stickers". The other option is to purchase some "Helicopter Tape" and make your own. That might be cheaper!!

Let's not knock Skoda for this. My next door neighbour has an almost new Zafira and the leading edges of the arches are peppered just the same, and I notice lots of other cars as well. A lot has to do with the softer paint that is now used.

Any one know if dealer can order and fit this for a reasonable charge would rather get it done before damage is done. If pigs do fly and skoda uk does offer to fit the protective film in due course, would they respray the damaged doors ? I tend to think not !

my rear doors have a few small chips. i got the part no for the films from a post here way back (will try and find it ) fitted them myself clean the area well spray with soapy water put them on move into position push out all the bubbles. the back of the film is cut so it goes round the rear edge of the door its very easy cost under £40

found them

Part numbers:

5L0 807 905 B (Protective foil left)

5L0 807 906 B (Protective foil right)

Please use part numbers as reference.

Always specify VIN when ordering.

Edited by wakev

Somewhere in the dim and not so distant past, in a previous thread, the parts numbers were given for these "stickers". The other option is to purchase some "Helicopter Tape" and make your own. That might be cheaper!!

Let's not knock Skoda for this. My next door neighbour has an almost new Zafira and the leading edges of the arches are peppered just the same, and I notice lots of other cars as well. A lot has to do with the softer paint that is now used.

I made my own. They work.

I think the problem from past experience is the "flare" on the door panel. On other cars where the panel is flat, I've not noticed stone chipping.

My wife's M-B A Class has protection foil in the same area.

John

The detail of the rear doors is quite unusual. I have never had a car before where the wheel arch edge is the edge of the door itself. Has anyone had an issue with chipping of this edge from stones flicked up by the rear wheels. Fortunately my can is 2wd, I would have thought a 4wd in reverse on a loose stone surface would soon damage the door edge?

Have e mailed skoda uk stating that as any yeti is potentially a off road vehicle, as this a" known problem" as it is being fitted as a option on the off road pack, it should surely be fitted on all yetis, I await there reply

This film was fitted as standard to my 4 year-old Octavia L&K! I'm disgusted that Skoda didn't do the same for the Yeti.

Chris

I made my own. They work.

I think the problem from past experience is the "flare" on the door panel. On other cars where the panel is flat, I've not noticed stone chipping.

My wife's M-B A Class has protection foil in the same area.

John

I was going to experiment with 1.5mm clear Fablon from B&Q, before buying the Skoda foils. What did you use as the protective film?

Best Regards

I was going to experiment with 1.5mm clear Fablon from B&Q, before buying the Skoda foils. What did you use as the protective film?

Best Regards

If this is a vulnerable point for chips and paint damage on a yeti and skoda has a protective film available to prevent this you should not have to go and buy fablon to try to prevent it if they did not know this was a problem.they would not sell a kit to prevent it. skodas whilst still good value they are not exactly giveaway prices, they should not be penny pinching in this way, Even to have to contemplate going to B+ Q to buy fablon to protect your body work seems to put us back in to skoda joke territory. No offence meant to you Greenboy only to skoda

Best Regards

Similar stuff from Homebase. Before I stuck it on I used a very fine artist's paintbrush to "dot" the small rash of stone chips.

John

If this is a vulnerable point for chips and paint damage on a yeti and skoda has a protective film available to prevent this you should not have to go and buy fablon to try to prevent it if they did not know this was a problem.they would not sell a kit to prevent it. skodas whilst still good value they are not exactly giveaway prices, they should not be penny pinching in this way, Even to have to contemplate going to B+ Q to buy fablon to protect your body work seems to put us back in to skoda joke territory. No offence meant to you Greenboy only to skoda

Appreciate what you're saying but I think this is a very common problem, not just for the Yeti and I've come across it on many of the cars I've owned over the years. Some manufacturers have applied a protective foil but most have not.

I can't speak for others but my Yeti did run through the worst of the winter when in my area at least there was an awful lot of grit on the road.

John

my focus is peppered all along the sills...its all down to the roads now, most round here are broken up and loose, as well as crater size potholes.. :thumbdown: .nowadays theres a roaring trade in paint chip /windscreen/suspension/tyre firms....90% of this is down to the current state of our roads..ive changed my driving accordingley and now drive like a snail, keeping extra distance from the vehicle in front...hopefully my sm will benefit from this :yes:

Thursday is the big day for us when we pick our 1.2 S Monster, Pacific Blue, but following this thread I rang our dealer last week about these protective foils. We live in a very rural area and the roads were really broken up and pot-holed last winter, hence our decision to move up from a Fabia. He was very helpful, quoted £34 for obtaining the foils which I thought was reasonable if it was going to protect the paintwork, and they will fit them with the mud flaps and floor mats which we had also wanted and were included in the deal, as was the spare wheel and boot adjustment. Getting excited just like Lee67!

Thursday is the big day for us when we pick our 1.2 S Monster, Pacific Blue, but following this thread I rang our dealer last week about these protective foils. We live in a very rural area and the roads were really broken up and pot-holed last winter, hence our decision to move up from a Fabia. He was very helpful, quoted £34 for obtaining the foils which I thought was reasonable if it was going to protect the paintwork, and they will fit them with the mud flaps and floor mats which we had also wanted and were included in the deal, as was the spare wheel and boot adjustment. Getting excited just like Lee67!

Agree that that price does not seem excessive, more reason for skoda to fit them on what is perceived as a quality product ,more evidence of accountants input into car build quality, what else is omitted to increase profit margins ? I note that it this forum has brought up this issue not my supplying stealer.

There is a product available that might just do the trick, without having to spend a fortune on the Rough Road Pack:

It's called Helicopter Tape and is used on the leading edge of helicopter blades. Mountain bike riders also use for protecting their frame from stone damage.

http://www.tape2go.com/2604-bike-protection-tape-p-120.html?gclid=CLWCs_iOipsCFZgU4wodiBgQnQ

There are other stockists also, I just googled this one

Hi, I wonder if using third party protection products would invalidate paint warranty? Also I would imagine 'helicopter' tapes are very difficult to apply neatly to a multi contoured surface and also suitable widths do not come much cheaper than the Skoda protection films. Did those who had problems have GuardX treatment, I just wonder how much extra protection that gives?

Edited by jeep

Just read this thread before picking up my new Yeti.

Does anyone have the part number for the factoryt protective foils? I want my dealer to fit them before I collect the car.

Tony

my rear doors have a few small chips. i got the part no for the films from a post here way back (will try and find it ) fitted them myself clean the area well spray with soapy water put them on move into position push out all the bubbles. the back of the film is cut so it goes round the rear edge of the door its very easy cost under £40

found them

Part numbers:

5L0 807 905 B (Protective foil left)

5L0 807 906 B (Protective foil right)

Please use part numbers as reference.

Always specify VIN when ordering.

Hi Wakev,

I have just bought the rear door protective film from my supplying dealer. No written fitting instructions included. Asked parts guy and salesman how to fit and they said SELF ADHESIVE to DRY PANEL which seems to conflict with your advice of using soapy water like when applying transfers to a model.

Can't afford to get it wrong at £33 a pop ! Hope you don't feel offended , I'm not challenging you but would you mind re-affirming that the wet approach is right and that the film folds round the door edge. Thanks for your trouble and I'm sure every Yeti owner will be interested to read your reply so that they too can fix the problem.