Yeti 1.2 performance (0 to 62 mph)

Asterion

According to the Yeti specs, Yeti 1.2 with a manual transmission gets from 0 to 62 mph in 11.8 seconds and with a DSG in 12.0 seconds.

Would anybody here know if this 12.0 has been achieved with the gearbox selector lever in position D or S? I would guess S gives a bit better result than D but I also would assume even the S can't beat the time done with a manual transmission (11.8s). This all would mean the performance difference between D ("grandma") and S ("sporty") is only 0.2 seconds? :wonder:

Why is there this S option available at all? :o

Edited by Asterion

...I would guess S gives a bit better result than D but I also would assume even the S can't beat the time done with a manual transmission (11.8s).

I suspect you're correct about S vs D but if the following video also applies in general as well as specifically to a Golf R, which I strongly suspect it does, then the average driver will always do better with DSG than with manual.

http://www.autocar.c...-dsg-vs-manual/

[NB 'do better' in the sense of being able to achieve quicker acceleration times.]

Edited by prodata

I test drove the 1.2tsi with DSG and i can promise you its much quicker than 12 seconds!.

Sub 10 is about right when in S.

DSG will always do better with drag racing than a manual will.

I test drove the 1.2tsi with DSG and i can promise you its much quicker than 12 seconds!.

Sub 10 is about right when in S.

DSG will always do better with drag racing than a manual will.

I am still running in the motor (what an awesome motor experience already so far! :thumbup: :thumbup: ) , therefore I haven't done any kick down accelerations etc, but even with the DSG position D I have a feeling this beats this 12.0 seconds easily. :o At least it feels so, haven't clocked it yet :p

The question is that why would Skoda promise only 12.0 if and when the reality is better? :o

The Manual describes this position S as following:

"Shifting up later into a higher gear makes it possible to fully exploit the power potential

of the engine."

But there are no numerical values anywhere to tell what this means in terms of performance. :wonder:

According to the Yeti specs, Yeti 1.2 with a manual transmission gets from 0 to 62 mph in 11.8 seconds and with a DSG in 12.0 seconds.

Would anybody here know if this 12.0 has been achieved with the gearbox selector lever in position D or S? I would guess S gives a bit better result than D but I also would assume even the S can't beat the time done with a manual transmission (11.8s). This all would mean the performance difference between D ("grandma") and S ("sporty") is only 0.2 seconds? :wonder:

Why is there this S option available at all? :o

If you have an iPod Touch or iPhone, you could try this app: http://www.pocketdyno.com/.

I have used this to check 0-60 times in both my Passat and Merc SLK (Yeti's predecessor). I got 8.6 secs 0-60 for the Passat and 6.7 secs for the SLK.

I haven't tried it on the Yeti.

My wife think's this is a bit childish. I say it's a man thing!

John

The question is that why would Skoda promise only 12.0 if and when the reality is better? :o

The germans always tend to under estimate their performance in regards to 0-60 and bhp figures.

The japanese tend to do the opposite ;)

Just watched a youtube video and the DSG in 'D' managed just over 10 seconds to 60mph.

Volkswagen group test 0-62mph with a half load. Other manufacturers (and some magazines) test with just a single driver and a slosh of fuel on board. In real life VW group cars are noticeably quicker than the brochures suggest.....

Im just wondering how much quicker it is when the remap gives it a 30-40% boost in bhp and torque!.

Got an email from a well known VAG tuner and they are developing a turbo swap, not much different to the KO4 swap for the 2.0T engines.

:rofl:

If you have an iPod Touch or iPhone, you could try this app: http://www.pocketdyno.com/.

I have used this to check 0-60 times in both my Passat and Merc SLK (Yeti's predecessor). I got 8.6 secs 0-60 for the Passat and 6.7 secs for the SLK.

I haven't tried it on the Yeti.

My wife think's this is a bit childish. I say it's a man thing!

John

What are you waiting for?

(To suppport you I'm 43)

She'll consider you a child forever!!

Edited by Papiu

The 'Pocket Dyno' app newly installed, I was on the way to the rubbish dump today after cleaning out the garage, and I came across a suitable piece of road to use as a dragstrip!

I had the gearbox in Sport, and the traction control off, which is usually the default 'launch control' setting for VW DSG gearboxes.

The results of my 1.2 DSG Elegance, loaded up to the rafters with junk, my daughters heavy car seat and me, was as follows:

0-30- 3.4s

0-60 - 9.75s (quoted factory time 12.0s)

Max power 129 bhp (105 bhp factory quoted)

Pretty good, though you do wonder why Skoda understate the performance times so much. Is it, as suggested, to get a lower insurance rating?

The app is really good by the way, if you're as childish as me. It even told me that I was pulling 0.5g at one point, which sounds impressive.

This must be the fastest rubbish lorry, ever!

The 'Pocket Dyno' app newly installed, I was on the way to the rubbish dump today after cleaning out the garage, and I came across a suitable piece of road to use as a dragstrip!

I had the gearbox in Sport, and the traction control off, which is usually the default 'launch control' setting for VW DSG gearboxes.

The results of my 1.2 DSG Elegance, loaded up to the rafters with junk, my daughters heavy car seat and me, was as follows:

0-30- 3.4s

Pretty good, though you do wonder why Skoda understate the performance times so much. Is it, as suggested, to get a lower insurance rating?

The app is really good by the way, if you're as childish as me. It even told me that I was pulling 0.5g at one point, which sounds impressive.

Yep its for insurance reasons, its happened a few times before, for instance the 328i when it came out was given only 180bhp and a crap 0-60 time, when in reality it made over 200bhp and was very quick indeed.

Also VW dont want their 'lesser' brands beating their own cars.

9.75 is pretty good, im confident it can be down to 8 seconds with a remap easily.

0-30- 3.4s

I would treat the figures with an enormous pinch of salt, especially the bhp one, you would have to input tens or even hundreds of variables to get even a sensible approximation to the power that the car was producing. Try chucking the phone across the room (aim for a soft object) and see what results it gives then! Nice toy but......

And I suggest that the insurance argument is nothing but an urban myth, does anyone really think that the insurance industry benignly accepts published power and performance figures and doesn't bother to check them? Designs that are quick and cheap to repair are treated to lower insurance rates and this has a much greater impact than any hypothetical 0-62 times.

I would treat the figures with an enormous pinch of salt, especially the bhp one, you would have to input tens or even hundreds of variables to get even a sensible approximation to the power that the car was producing. Try chucking the phone across the room (aim for a soft object) and see what results it gives then! Nice toy but......

And I suggest that the insurance argument is nothing but an urban myth, does anyone really think that the insurance industry benignly accepts published power and performance figures and doesn't bother to check them? Designs that are quick and cheap to repair are treated to lower insurance rates and this has a much greater impact than any hypothetical 0-62 times.

No the insurance thing is or was a fact in Germany.

Anything over a certain bhp level goes up to a different rate, so 105bhp is one rate and 106bhp-140bhp is probably another.

It may not sound believable but this really does influence the manufacturer stats.

Remember the Japanese gentleman's agreement?

Every car was 286bhp when the GTR made about 330bhp at the wheels!.

Seen 2 different results for the 1.2tsi on the dyno, one gave 115bhp and the other 125bhp...... lost the links though :(