Litens belt tensioner failure!

Arrrghhh!

My local mechanic replaced the timing belt and tensioner just under 12 months and 18,000 miles ago and then the other day the belt lost tension due to tensioner failure.

It seems I'm not alone http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=1681139

My picture is exactly the same but the site won't let me upload or link to flickr.

The engine camshaft was about 2 notches out and the fuel pump one out and it still ran, though sounded rough. It's had a replacement timing kit but sounds rough and lacks power so I suspect some head damage at least.

I now have to decide whether I should cut my losses (market value 1.5-2.0k) and try and sell an otherwise good car at a knockdown price or investigate further by taking off the head.

I intend to give Litens a piece of my mind! Of course I don't have the receipt :doh: but I might send the whole kit to them - it's obviously fairly new and not contaminated by oil etc.

Anyone else had this problem? I've just spent £200 putting an identical tensioner (and belt) back on!!! I don't have much faith left!

i have replaced one that was fitted by a garage down south somwhere (on their hols and relayed to me) and in my opinion the tensioner had been turned the wrong way which loads up the spring against the stop plate.

There was a witness mark in the stop from the spring and it was obvious when stripping that the adjuster with the holes in was not in the usual position.

i would go for the same with yours, its been tensioned anticlockwise at a guess.

take the cover off and check if the 2 adjustment holes are towards the top of the tensioner sort of around 10-12 Oclock position not 5-3 Oclock

jim

Edited by felicia16v

Dont take this the rong way but if you sell it like it is you will get buttons for it.

You dont know 100% whats going to need fixing and when 1 bit is done you could find more :'(

So most will look at it as whats the most that could have been damage the price it thatway and offer you the cash for a car needing full engine rebild.

If your lucky you could have just bent a valve or 2 so may be better having some1 look at it can get a cost.

Selling a car with timing damage is like trying to sell it with no engine :'(

but if you do want to sell as is i do know someone who was after a non runner tdi as they had theirs rear ended and wanted one with a dodgy motor so they can fit the good engine.. let me know if interested

Great, thanks guys. I did wonder whether it could have been incorrectly fitted.

I drove the car again today and it's probably too good to let go... Am going to have a closer look in a week or so as I'll be away (in a different car!).

Thanks again :thumbup: