Amp Cable routing

Been abit new to the octavia am just wondering where people run there amp cables, mainly power feed from battery through bulkhead

i've found this link - http://www.pimpmyskoda.co.uk/Amp%20Cable.htm but surly there must be a better way of doing it

On my old s40 i just run it though a gromit in bulkhead behind glovebox and down passenger side of car,

Am not scared about taking car to bits to do it

I've already removed back seats and all boot interior as am cleaning back of car because previous owner used to carry her dog in it and you could say it smells abit, so while bits are out i thought i might aswell put amp cables in

Above the pedals in the drivers footwell is a bar with a bunch of terminals on it, permanent live and ignition live plus a few others. 2 torx screws releases the panel and it kind of slides out toward you, dead easy. All will be obvious when the panel is off. I just took the nut off the 75amp ignition live (Yellow label) slipped a ring over the thread and wound the nut back on and run the amp power from there. Means the amp goes off when i turn the car off even with the radio on. This is no problem for me, but if it is then you could just take the power from the perm live instead (Red label)

ALOT easier than faffing around under the bonnet or running the cable under the car or what have you.

EDIT: here's a pic I took ages ago of what I mean.

SNC00079.jpg

Edited by Jcb.

Wow, that is pretty neat. Although when you wire through the bonnet directly to the battery, you will Also be adding fuse specifically to the amp. This is really how it should be done, for safety's sake really.

This just makes sure that it is running on it's own specific circuit. If you are running off of a joint circuit, then the resistance in the fuse will have a greater demand on it. Meaning that it is more likely to blow.

The choice is yours.

Personally I will be leaving mine wired directly to the battery! With the switched live/remote off of the head unit.

I just wired my amp in last week, behind the glove box there is a thick cable routed thru the bulk head, i pushed my power cable thru alongside the wiring loom and it comes out of a large rubber grommit into the engine bay near what i believe to be the ABS unit.

From there you can route it round the airbox and straight oonto the battery, with an inline fuse ofc :0)

mine is wired from the battery into the plastic cover that all the wiring is in (my fuse holder is screwed to it) and into the car via the grommet next to the pollen filter housing. then runs down behind the glove box and into the boot down the passenger side of the car.

you can just make out the fuse holder on the cover in the picst to show what i mean.

528eb0f9.jpg

ad636c42.jpg

Ill find grommit on passenger side then so i can run cable through bulkhead

lift the black plastic cover around the wiper and you'll see it next to the pollen filter housing. just remember to silicone seal it once done to stop water getting in :thumbup:

Wow, that is pretty neat. Although when you wire through the bonnet directly to the battery, you will Also be adding fuse specifically to the amp. This is really how it should be done, for safety's sake really.

This just makes sure that it is running on it's own specific circuit. If you are running off of a joint circuit, then the resistance in the fuse will have a greater demand on it. Meaning that it is more likely to blow.

The choice is yours.

Personally I will be leaving mine wired directly to the battery! With the switched live/remote off of the head unit.

Point taken there. Perhaps if running a big set up then you may find you have that exact problem.

Despite this though, mines been running from this bar for well over a year on my current Octavia and another year previous to that on my last petrol Octavia. Never had any problems to speak of yet and at one point I was running 2 amps off this feed.

However like you said, if it were done professionally, then the amps would be on their own circuit.

EDIT: I do also have an inline fuse in the feed coming from that bar rated lower than what's on the bar. This would hopefully mean that the smaller inline fuse would pop first if the circuit were to be overloaded.

Edited by Jcb.

i agree with blueriver, the way he states is the correct way to do it,

my cabling runs like this through a bulkhead grommit, have done a few octavias like this, you could as a thought, go down and run your cable under the car cable tied on to the underside then up through a grommit in the boot. Would perhaps be less effort than hiding it in the car...

• 5 months later...

I went from under bonnet, pull airbox out and its black box with wires in, trace it to bulkhead, if i remember you lift a relay box to side to get to it, i got 2 4 gauge cables through it so its deffo there

If you go from the engine bay side, just behind the pollen filter, there is the grommet. Push the cable through there once you have taken out the glovebox and you will see the cable pop through. If you have more than one cable to push through, then it's worth tying a long peice of string or something else to make a loop round the a-pillar back into the engine bay. This way there is an indefinite loop that you can tie cables to and pull through all day long.

Pull up the rubber sill bits round the doors and take off the plastic plate next to the front door to hide the wires under the carpet. I also took off the bottom cover for the from front seatbelt mount to make getting the carpet up easier. Into the boot an voila. Done. Definately worth having at least half a day if you haven't done it before.

Good luck :)