Paint problem - anyone else?

Cleaning the car today I noticed that the paint at the edges of the roof, where the sides of the car join, had started to crack (the inner corner of the step that runs from the top corners of the windscreen to the back window). They are only tiny cracks looking a bit like old paintwork on dried up wood where it cracks and starts to lift, but there are a lot of them. Anyone else experienced this? I'm hoping it's only cosmetic, I'd hate to think it was a deeper problem caused by flexing or something.

Sorry if this makes little sense, the pictures will hopefully make it clearer.

This is the area in question

aujno7.jpg

And these are the cracks

qosr5w.jpg

It's hard to make them out on the picture but they are like small cracks in the laquer. They are on both sides of the car and they are dotted along the whole length of each side.

Edited by Riddley

I've got stains along the roof seam; where the sides join? So far a bit of car polish and elbow grease has shifted them. Hoping it is not the precursor of something more serious.

Not thought too deeply about the cause. But it does come back after a few months.

Poss a respray at some point?

Hope it's not a respray, got it as ex-demonstrator from Skoda dealer, a hidden history would be a nasty surprise. I guess a phonecall may be in order.

Hope it's not a respray, got it as ex-demonstrator from Skoda dealer, a hidden history would be a nasty surprise. I guess a phonecall may be in order.

I've seen more than one car have its roof reparayed due to the fact that they put the advertising boards on top and they can scratch the paint.

Do you have access to a paint depth gauge, or can you tell us where you are from.

My cars had the rear drivers side quarter repaired, but you can see the flash line if you look carefully along the top of the c post. So i wouldn't say mines been sprayed that far up.

I have noticed the cracks in the paint also, they've been like they are for some time now and haven't got any worse. But i kind of thought at 150k i wouldn't grumble too much.

Sorry to say but it seems that has been painted before. Is this car new or used.

Yes you can see sanding marks, imperfect filler beneath the paint.

1+

100% it has been resprayed - and very well either.

1+

100% it has been resprayed - and very well either.

Also something else to consider, when cars are shipped over, they can be damaged in transit. I was talking to a PDR man once, and he said it is amazing how many cars require dents pulling out of them, scratches fixed after they have been shipped.

Luckily for you it isn't in a very obvious place, but annoying all the same.

Cheers for the replies guys. Looks like the same problem Hearny has. Didn't find that post using the search, thanks Minimoke.

As for the other marks on the paintwork, that's poor prep from me I'm afraid, they're just watermarks because I was half way through cleaning when I took the photos, they've all gone now.

Alberg, the mark near the windscreen is the adhesive from when I had the windscreen replaced due to delamination. You had me panicking there, lol.

Alberg, the mark near the windscreen is the adhesive from when I had the windscreen replaced due to delamination. You had me panicking there, lol.

Sorry, got yourself thinking :giggle::giggle::giggle:

Got similar problem with my RED octy. Mine was a demonstrator with no cracks when i bought it. When they appeared the dealer didn't want to know and tried to say they were stone chips...so I decided to take a peek. Underneath is a sealant line which covers the join in the roof. The cracks are in the sealant which obviously shows up in the paint. I've sorted mine but they will always come back. Cracks in anything are buggers cos unless you remove 'em they will resurface. The strange thing is they are only on one side. I've given up worrying about them. If you don't want them to reappear again drive your car like an old man :rofl: Any spirited driving twists the car so prepare for them resurface. Basically you're driving your car too hard :D