Accelerator pedal problem 1.4TSI DSG

My accelerator pedal has quite a lot of travel before the engine reacts and increases the revs. If I put the car in neutral and press the pedal, nothing happens for about 1 cm of movement. Then the revs start to increase. There is no problem with the response after that, just seems to be quite a lot of travel before the engine reacts.

When pulling off, I need to find the 'biting' point of the pedal. It can make smooth driving tricky, especially after taking my foot off coming into a roundabout and then trying to accelerate away when I see it is clear. I have to keep pressing the pedal until it reacts.

Dealer says he thinks it is normal.

Anyone had something similar or do all Octavias do this?

Thanks

I have heard on the forum before about recallibration of the throttle pedal. Try the search option.

With the ignition "off" press the throttle to the floor

turn on the ignition and hold the throttle down for about 20 seconds

turn the ignition back off and then lift off the throttle.

Its worth a try.

• Like 1

The first paragraph sounds normal,

With the DSG taking your foot completely off and on again will make the car jerky you should always have some pressure on the gas pedal, you should not be looking for the biting point of the accelerator from taking off as when you take your foot off the brake the car should creep, if this is not happening something is not right. how long have you been driving this car?

Cheers for the replies.

Tried recalibration as in first post and this may have made some difference. Accelerator seems a bit tighter, it's hard to tell. Will see how it goes. Thanks!

Don't really want to wait for car to creep forward first before moving off. This wouldn't work when pulling out of a junction sharpish.

Don't really want to wait for car to creep forward first before moving off. This wouldn't work when pulling out of a junction sharpish.

This is normal in all the dsg's i have driven and exactly the sole reason I utterly hate it

Eh?

To me pulling out of a junction sharpish in an auto means taking your right foot off the brake and burying the accelerator into the carpet, no need to wait for it to creep?

These issues with DSG and pulling off - just out of interest, have you driven a full auto before?

Just curious, as there's a knack to pulling away smoothly there too. And with the DSG design, they decided to mimic this. One, because it's a common and well-known automatic transmission characteristic, because of the use of a torque convertor (obviously not present in a DSG), and also because a portion of buyers would expect the DSG transmission to behave in this way, particularly when full 'auto' is selected. And secondly, it's quite handy when in traffic to allow the car to move by itself for small distances :)

But yes, when I'm driving a DSG or full auto and in normal driving conditions, I tend to let the car begin to creep, then feed in accelerator pedal travel gradually - you get a nice smooth getaway doing this. Alternatively you can just bury your foot if you wish to move away from a junction in full 'traffic light grand prix' mode ;)

Not wishing to teach anyone how to suck eggs; those were just my thoughts on the matter.

Cheers,

Steve

If you read the road correctly, you can get your acceleration just right and there's no need to bury the throttle anyway....not that I'm criticising.

On a clear straight road, with the right conditions and speed limit, a WoT getaway can be accommodated. But I don't think this thread is the right place for that discussion :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thank you K Young - the throttle pedal reset worked a treat for me today. The resistance on the pedal on my Octavia 1.2TSI, especially lower down had changed noticeably over the last week or so -it seemed impossible to fully depress it. Had just booked it in to go back to the garage when I saw your post. Tried it at lunchtime and hey presto, its perfect again. Many thanks :thumbup:

This 'throttle travel' is not a given with DSG. My vRS has DSG and the pedal reacts to the smallest movement!

I did drive a Fabia DSG last week with a smallish petrol engine (loan car), and it was just as described by the OP.

The throttle would do nothing for the first inch of travel - thereafter it behaved normally. It was very disconcerting and almost dangerous. I found I had to almost anticipate gaps and accelerate early to get out in time! This cannot be right and I hope you manage to get yours recallibrated / sorted.

• 8 years later...