Rapid c1j turbo

Danirap

Hi guys i new and own for the pas 3 years a skoda rapid 136 now i m in fitting a Renault 1.4 c1j turbo in it i now the week point is the gearbox so i was looking in to the t25 transporter box but have any one done it and now what is need it to fit like do i use my shafts or need transporter ones any help pls

Edited by Danirap

• 2 weeks later...

I'll reply to help bump the thread, ...

but I don't honestly recall hearing anyone mention that particular engine or gearbox as being used in a transplant before.

I believe Fiat / Alfa engines have been used as a more popular route.

Was there a particular reason you'd picked those, or simply that you had easy access to them?

(A good reason I guess)

Hoping someone with a better answer reads this

cheers ... Darren

Which Renault lump is it? If it's one of the transverse units, I've no idea, but if it's the in-line FWD from the old 5 Alpine/Gordini turbo, you may be able to use the Renault box, with the diff swapped from one side ot the final drive case to the other (presumes box was behind the engine in the 5 and is being reinstalled rear-engined). If the engine was behind the box in the 5, the set should fit straight in, but you'll need custom driveshafts and probably new rear springs.

Hi guys first tank you for your help the motor is from a r5 gt turbo i have a solid engine whit 250bhp to the fw all whit uprated parts and ball bearing turbo is a great motor and i like to use it on my rapid my only problem is the gearbox i now it will not Handel the extra bhp for to long and was looking for options what can i do whit the gear box is there any company that do gear kits for it or sell uprated one

If it will physically fit, a Renault 20/30 box might work; it was used in the Alpine A310/GTa with that sort of power and more torque. Ok, you'll probably need a bellhousing adaptor plate, and custom driveshafts, but you're in the right sort of place for that.

If it will physically fit, a Renault 20/30 box might work; it was used in the Alpine A310/GTa with that sort of power and more torque. Ok, you'll probably need a bellhousing adaptor plate, and custom driveshafts, but you're in the right sort of place for that.

i don't now if it will fit or not but to get one is a big problem some folks told me that a vw transporter box will fit whit some mods but need to make new shafts and adapter plate that is not a big problem to do but i saw many 120 and rapids use them for events on the net and what type of gear box they used is sound like uprated ones and like to now where they get them but cant find any ting and many sites are in Czech and i don't understand a ting :rofl:

P.S tank you for the help

No problem. I don't speak Czeck either, but I know we have some British members who do, and some bi-lingual Czeck members too, so your problem may be catching the eye of the right person.

I don't much like its chances at 250bhp, but the 5-speed version of the Estelle/Rapid transaxle is known to stand up to the 120bhp at 7_000 rpm you can get from the 1300 pushrod motors, so will probably take a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A VW super beetle box which is similar to the older Transporters will handle up to 150bhp. After that you are pushing your luck.

Renault used to do a few gearboxes that will do a job, if you can find one Renault 16 and 17 boxes should fit with a little persuasion, they use them in Lotus Europas with Renault engines. Again 150bhp is about the limit but you get a 5th gear I think.

200+ bhp in a Rapid may be a little intimidating though, absolutely everything will need strengthening and uprating including the bodyshell to handle that sort of power.

• 4 weeks later...

G50 porsche Gearbox. Or an inverted audi gearbox, Audi gearboxes are incredibly strong however the one thing i don't know is whether the diff can be flipped? Can anybody shed some light on this? Oh and in czech theres no gearbox produced tht could handle that sort of power.

Cheers

Phil

• 3 months later...

Which Renault lump is it? If it's one of the transverse units, I've no idea, but if it's the in-line FWD from the old 5 Alpine/Gordini turbo, you may be able to use the Renault box, with the diff swapped from one side ot the final drive case to the other (presumes box was behind the engine in the 5 and is being reinstalled rear-engined). If the engine was behind the box in the 5, the set should fit straight in, but you'll need custom driveshafts and probably new rear springs.

The engines in the Renault 4, 6 and closely related original R5 (longitudinal engine)were mounted behind the gearbox, and in some cases (956 and 1108) had I think been fitted in earlier rear engined Renault 8 and 10.

So the original R5 Alpine/Gordini Turbo could be the one to go for but its not as powerful as the GT Turbo.

Edited by juan27

The engines in the Renault 4, 6 and closely related original R5 (longitudinal engine)were mounted behind the gearbox, and in some cases (956 and 1108) had I think been fitted in earlier rear engined Renault 8 and 10.

So the original R5 Alpine/Gordini Turbo could be the one to go for but its not as powerful as the GT Turbo.

On further reflection I think you're correct and those cars carried the gearbox in front of the engine.

BTW and o/t, but I think you've understood why I said "Alpine/Gordini" too!