VRS Boot will not open

rik_t

Hi,

Went to open the boot on my VRS this morning, it will not pop open. I have tried with the button on the boot and the key fob and it does not do anything. When I press the key fob the lights flash as expected but nothing else. So now I'm left with the boot completely stuck closed.

Can anyone assist?

Thanks,

Rik

Could it be a fuse?

If you need access to your boot stand out of the car on the shoulder of the Seats there is a lever pull it up and pull the headrest towards you its a pain but it will allow you to get what you need to. If its a push chair or a big item your buggered.

Edited by REDFABVRS

Could it be a fuse?

If you need access to your boot stand out of the car on the shoulder of the Seats there is a lever pull it up and pull the headrest towards you its a pain but it will allow you to get what you need to. If its a push chair or a big item your buggered.

Really not sure what it is, I'm hoping someone on here has already had the issue and can help.

Mine sticks some times, Do you hear a sound when you try to open it, Like clicking sound. If so push the boot lid down and pull it up. my seal some times stick to the boot lid

Hope it helps

Mine sticks some times, Do you hear a sound when you try to open it, Like clicking sound. If so push the boot lid down and pull it up. my seal some times stick to the boot lid

Hope it helps

How Cold was it thismorning? my old smart the doors used to get cold and stick closed lol

There is an emergency release, but you will need to be in the boot (via the back seats, as already described) to use it. Remove the cover around where the boot lock fits into the back of the car, and you should be able to get at the lever sticking out of the lock itself. Push this, and the boot should open. With any luck, once it's open, it won't happen again...

Well, I've been out and opened the boot from the inside. Its not an issue of the boot sticking. The mechanism which fires open the boot is not working any more, once I closed it after opening it manually it still does not open from either the button or the key fob. I guess the faulty part is the white plastic unit with the black electrical plug into it? If so anyone know what this is? part numbers? cost etc?

Please help, need to be able to put pushchairs in for kids :(

It happened to me a few weeks back. It was the fuse. It's the same fuse that's connected to the boot light. Bulb probably blown and blown fuse.

Open your drivers/passengers door and if the red lights on the corner of doors is out, then the fuse has blown.

Even if the boot solenoid has failed you should still be able to open the boot from outside using the release button on the tailgate. You need to have pressed the "door open" button on the alarm twice in quick succession so that all the doors, not just the drivers door, are unlocked.

This is a real long shot, but as an experiment try unlocking the doors with the fob.

Then open all of the doors, leave them open, and then finally try to open the boot using the button on the boot itself.

Edited by Minimoke

Being as its electric, im assuming theres some sort of motor, could it not just be that the motors failed? I would think theres is a manual catch somewhere on the mechanism...so you can release the boot, I'll have a look at mine later and see if theres anything.

I can manually open the boot from the inside (once removed kids seat) which is a pain.

I have two ideas, there is a white solinoid type unit which an electrical plug attaches too, I think this is what "pops" open the boot. So I could replace this? no idea of cost or part number tho.

Or

The boot still thinks its locked so therefore is not opening so could be a locking issue.

All skoda say is bring it in and they'll plug the computer in, but matt@theforce has already done this and nothing is showing.

Do you have access to a voltmeter, and can you get at the contacts for the solenoid? If the answer to both is 'yes', seeing if pressing the boot release button on the fob changes the voltage across the solenoid ought to tell you whether it's that that's at fault or something else.

Just had a look at mine, and there seems to be two wires terminating in a plug that connects to the solenoid. It might be fiddly, but if you can disconnect the plug without removing the whole trim along the top of the bumper, then stick one pin of the meter in one of the plug's terminals, and the other pin in the other. I presume the solenoid is only energised when the button is pressed to open the boot, so what you should find is that you get a reading of a fraction of a volt (if not actually zero) when the button isn't pressed, which would usually be expected to rise to either 5v or 12v (or at least substantially more than it was!) when the button on the fob or the driver's door armrest is pressed.

If no-one can lend you a meter, something like one of these should be perfectly adequate:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46498&C=SO&U=strat15

OTOH, if you already have a replacement solenoid to hand, I'd be inclined just to fit that and see if it works!

Any luck in finding the fault yet?

My wife had a Mk1 Fabia Elegance with very similar symptoms to the ones you describe.

It was eventually diagnosed that the boot and doors were locking when the car went above 15km/h but the boot did not unlock again when the ignition key was taken out like it is meant to do. Also when you got out of the car and locked it, then returned later and opened the car on the fob the boot still remained locked. However once you opened one of the doors (the offside rear) immediately after using the fob you could once more open the boot.

No relevant fault codes ever appeared.

Several Skoda dealers (and one VW independent) went nuts trying to fix this bizzare fault - they also took the boot lock and electronics to pieces but were never able to fix it. I gave up in the end as it was costing too much money to fix. It still had this "quirk" when she eventually sold it 5 years later.

Hence the suggestion in my earlier post. As I said highly likely not relevant to your problem, but you never know................