TSI Engine

The ask a tech section wouldnt let me post so i put this query in here.

1. Is the TSI engine driven by a belt or a chain?

2. what grade engine oil does the 1.2 TSI require? { the handbook is a mystery to me regarding this information}

ok thanks, prefer a chain less hassle, went for a drive up into Northumberland today, continue to be impressed with the engine and ride even though the engine has less than 200 miles. Averaging 48mpg so far.

I bought 1L of Castrol Edge 0w - 30 suitable for VW 502 00 £16!!!! at Tesco.

It's all written at the manual's page 207. So the oil i will use is the oil the car is the one which is filled by the factory and it complies the VW 504 00. If you have fixed service intervals the VW 502 00 is Ok.

Is your car consuming oil? Mine consumed 300 grammars at 6.058 Kms (Then i Checked it). My car is a Roomster 1.2 Tsi 77Kw (105 Hp)

Edited by stratosg

It's all written at the manual's page 207. So the oil i will use is the oil the car is the one which is filled by the factory and it complies the VW 504 00. If you have fixed service intervals the VW 502 00 is Ok.

Is your car consuming oil? Mine consumed 300 grammars at 6.058 Kms (Then i Checked it). My car is a Roomster 1.2 Tsi 77Kw (105 Hp)

Are you sure about that?

I thought that all new TSI Fabias and Roomsters now come out of the factory with QG2 (fixed service) set as standard and so should have 502.00 oil in them when you get it. My wifes new Fabia TSI (85) was certainly supplied as QG2, and the oil for that regime (as you point out and according to the manual) should meet 502.00 rather than 504.00.

Like others above I also use the Castrol Edge 0-30 which complied with 502.00. However just to really confuse the issue I have been informed by Castrol Technical Dept (in writing) that the Castrol Edge 5-30 which meets 504.00/507.00 (and which I used to use in my Octavia) can also be used to top up a TSI with 502.00 in it !!

Edited by Minimoke

I was told mine Fabia (TSi 105) has fixed service intervals too.

Havent actually looked to see what oil it takes yet though.

Might be worth checking. My wif'es has used 750 ml in 600 miles so far.

Are you sure about that?

I thought that all new TSI Fabias and Roomsters now come out of the factory with QG2 (fixed service) set as standard and so should have 502.00 oil in them when you get it. My wifes new Fabia TSI (85) was certainly supplied as QG2, and the oil for that regime (as you point out and according to the manual) should meet 502.00 rather than 504.00.

Like others above I also use the Castrol Edge 0-30 which complied with 502.00. However just to really confuse the issue I have been informed by Castrol Technical Dept (in writing) that the Castrol Edge 5-30 which meets 504.00/507.00 (and which I used to use in my Octavia) can also be used to top up a TSI with 502.00 in it !!

Yes I'm sure since my local dealer and a few others i called insists on 5w-30. Even when i took the car to the garage to fill up the 300grms of oil he used the 5w-30 castrol edge. In Greece we use 5w-30. Maybe the weather conditions? Who knows!

Edited by stratosg

Nearly 700 miles on the clock. Engine performance continues to impress, the Bridgestone tyres became less noisey after 500 miles. So far the engine oil level has not went down. One fault has developed though. The passenger rear seats creak and squeak quite a bit, most noticeable when someone is actually sitting in them. The locking mech does'nt appear to be tight enough.

Ok I worked out how to solve the problem of the rattle/ creak in the rear seat mech. Just below the looped catch there are two rubber covered adjusting screws, so you just twist them anti clockwise to adjust for a tight fight...end of annoying creaks. The same procedure might be required for the bonnet, though I will put this off a while to allow the engine to break in and find its own natural level of vibration. According to the Skoda mechanic the exhaust also requires time for the clean baffles to quieten down.

Mines lovely and quiet now, sounds a bit gravelly under full throttle but its actually quite a nice noise!!!

Mine has Falken tyres on, might change them for something a bit more grippy and quiter when then need doing, not sure whats best though. Might get some T1S as I had T1Rs on my 205 and they were brilliant.