Fabia mk2

Rob.

Just thinking out loud really..

But the mk1 Fabia has a selection of comon faults that most owners get a taste of whilst owning the car...

I was wondering.. Seeing as the mk2 was heavily based on the mk1.... did they fix the bugs?

I'm thinking leaky doors...

Alternator charge sensing cable to short on the diesels

slight, constant pull to the kerb.

Are the window regulators any stronger?

Did they use the same weak console bushes until the revised part recently?

And if non of the above... do the mk2's have any common problems of there own that the mk1 never had?

• Like 1

MK2 Fabia started out using the same consoles as the MK1 but has now adopted the new subframe design the same as VW and SEAT doing away with them altogether, this came about from around 9 chassis onwards.

The doors are completely different not having the same ancilleries carriers so no, shouldnt leak and havent had any doing so as yet (but only been back at Skoda a few weeks..lol).

The alternator sensing cable or DFM as its otherwise known wasnt an issue on the diesels alone, also effecting some petrol engines, haven't had any of them yet or noticed if the wiring is different.

MK2 has some unique issues but these largely arise from a new line up of engines that weren't around in the MK1.

What Lummox says...and my 2yr old estate just goes and goes without any issues at all (1422cc TDI PD). Haven't heard of any pulling to the left either. No water leaks heard of. Buy with confidence. As far as I can tell there are no issues present in the Fabia Mk2 to cause any concerns. Oh...just one issue...IT KEEPS GETTING CHEAPER TO RUN!!! Road tax has just gone down to £30 pa, and the fuel consumption keeps getting better and better at 75mpg now! Looks like a trip to the dealers to see if they can get it to do less mpg so I can moan...emoticon-0136-giggle.gifemoticon-0136-giggle.gifemoticon-0136-giggle.gif

no mark 1 problems in mine, but there are mark 2 problems

rattling dashboard/ trim (in some, not mine)

door mirror covers rattle when you close the close (can only be heard from outside in a quiet environment)

problems with electric windows, you close it but it opens instead, had it back to dealers twice but couldn't fix, went back again but problem h#didn't happen,

worse of all, the quality has gone down with cheaper plastics.

Edited by fabia55

it's only 2 years old, i'd expect any new car to go and go if it cost £10,000+

Yeah, me too. But many of my new Fords, Toyota's and Fiats (all costing considerably more than £10K) my wife and me bought (two or three per year) had major problems in the first few months of life. The last new Fiesta I had for example had...rust coming through the paintwork in several places on the roof and wings (car resprayed after treating), a new clutch, a new gearbox, waterleaks, constant pinking from the engine (used Esso fuel) for which there was no cure it seems but to replace the engine (yes, that's what they actually did and it made no difference whatsover!!) Oh, yes it did...it broke down several times due to major mechanical problems. It turned out there was a major flaw in the cylinder heads on serveral hundred motors and I had two of them. And it just went on and on right up to when we sold it after 12 months. Every ford I bought had major issues with electrics, water leaks, paint, clutches and gearboxes etc etc. So I bought a new Toyota...worst car I ever had. 6 months in the garage in the first 12 months of ownership. The whole car needed sealing since at the factory not one bulkhead or body joint had been sealed and it leaked like a sieve. Electrics were shot too. Clutch replaced and rear diff. Paint on wings bubbled up and was replaced. Toyota offered a new car but I refused and asked for monetary compensation. Fiat not much better, but they were surprisingly a bit better. Still paint probs, water leaks, rattles, electrical trouble etc etc but the engines and gearboxes themselves were fine. In the end my wife and I, after 20 years of Ford, Fiat and Toyota were fed up and decided to change strategy and get the best car we could for our money that would be reliable, have good build quality, and be capable of being kept for many years without worry. Our friends all had Skoda. So, after all the research lasting some 6 months and reading up about the latest cars and manufacturers, the JD Power survey etc etc we bought the Skoda. Needless to say...what a difference to what we have been used to. A good dealer, the car itself is superb, nothing but nothing going wrong or needing adjustment, to us it's amazing! Oh...sorry Fab...I'm going on again!! Just soooo pleased.

I replaced both front window regulators and sealed the rear carriers in the Wifes' Mk1,(these were the only faults in 4 1/2 years) never noticed it pulling to the left through. Now she has a Mk2 Blueline and so far so good, front discs/ pads are noisy at low speed braking and the car doesn't feel as solid as the Mk1. Ecomony is much better with the 1.2 htp 12v engine as opposed to the 1.4 mpi, road fund is cheaper and it's better equipped.

But the mk1 Fabia has a selection of common faults that most owners get a taste of whilst owning the car...

How about the engine management system - particularly the lambda probe(s). Is this now reliable?

I saw that some people have a rattling dashboard. The Mk1 could shear an attachment behind the centre of the dashboard. Is that still a problem?

In three weeks of ownership my Fabia 2 Estate has a squeek and my only complaint is that the plastics do seem cheaper compared to the mark 1 Fabia but again it is a still well put together car, my neighbour was round a couple of weeks ago and commented on how well it was put together, but aside from that I'm happy with what I've got, I've lost a few toys but that does not bother me.

My only concern on reading the car mechanics magazine is the engine from the polo has a problem of cutting out but I'm not sure if it is the same version of the 1.4 engine as I belive there is two versions a 75bhp and a 80bhp is this correct?

My only concern on reading the car mechanics magazine is the engine from the polo has a problem of cutting out but I'm not sure if it is the same version of the 1.4 engine as I belive there is two versions a 75bhp and a 80bhp is this correct?

I believe from my garage sources (someone will shoot me down hopefully if I'm wrong) the cutting out problem was unique to the Polo, I've certainly not heard of it in the Fab. And yes there was a 75bhp and 80bhp engine. VW's unfortunately suffer from many probs the Skoda's don't suffer from.

Had my Mk2 for a yeer and only issue was a rattling airbag lid. Has been fixed but still a slight rattle from it. Done 14500 miles and its superb. Even fully loaded with gear and my wife the little HTP engine still pulls it along well.

Oh, the climatic system is a bit weird, sometimes it starts blowing hot air but only if Ive turned the heat down to cold and after a while it comes on hot again!!! Rotating the temp switch cures it, had a smart do the same but you had to restart the engine to stop it!

door mirror covers rattle when you close the close (can only be heard from outside in a quiet environment)

problems with electric windows, you close it but it opens instead, had it back to dealers twice but couldn't fix, went back again but problem h#didn't happen,

Hi Fabia55, just noticed the above about your mirrors. I've had two others new to Skoda friends mention this but when I've inspected their mirrors there is nothing in there to rattle and especially not the covers that I could see. After carefully examination and some fooling around...discovered it was the air vent rubbers in the boot area under the car venting the air pressure from inside the car as the doors are closed. You can hear them open and release with a sort of rattle. Closing the boot does a similar thing. Needs to be in a quiet environment though to hear it. Do you think this may be it with yours?

Try following the window reset instructions in the manual for your window problem. Reset the problematic window only and make sure you use the switch for that window that is causing the problem. For example, my passenger window always had difficutly, but when used with the passenger button only...NOT THE DRIVERS DOOR BUTTON FOR THAT window. Make sure you do this with the engine running. It seems to make a difference. Also, make sure you operate the window fully down first waiting for the full set of clicks before operating the button to take the window up, again waiting for the clicks at the top when it's closed, as per the book. This should do the trick. If not...get your garage to look again. They'll replace the window circuit board. Takes just 20mins.

Edited by Estate Man

I was gonna add rattley interior to the original list.. but then.. all cars rattle.. and rattles aren't really a fault like the others. That said.. my Mum's 98 Saab 9000 has done 100k and doesn't rattle at all.. creak, yes, lol.. but no rattles.

So the Mk2.. now at 3 years old and exiting warrenty periods seems to be a solid little motor.... good! :):thumbup:

Edited by Rob.

Yes and No..

Was really just wondering how the "evolved" Fabia stacked up now they've had a while to get some miles and weathering.

If yes, certainly not with in the year as saving frantically for a deposit on a house... but once the loans cleared on the vRS I might start looking as it'll be knocking on 90k by then and may need a bigger.. more combi sized car.. especially if the "life" plan goes the way it looks too ;)

Edited by Rob.

Nice one re the deposit on the house best investment you can make as I've recently purchased a house!, I'm actually pleased with my purchase, ok it's not a vRS but I'm driving a two year old Fabia 2 Estate 1.4 TDI with only 9000 miles on the clock, I did consider another vRS but the ones I looked at looked tired and that was cars at my skoda dealer, but I'm surprised with how good the Mark two fabia as it's a pretty solid wee car, even my neighbour thinks this too.

Hi Fabia55, just noticed the above about your mirrors. I've had two others new to Skoda friends mention this but when I've inspected their mirrors there is nothing in there to rattle and especially not the covers that I could see. After carefully examination and some fooling around...discovered it was the air vent rubbers in the boot area under the car venting the air pressure from inside the car as the doors are closed. You can hear them open and release with a sort of rattle. Closing the boot does a similar thing. Needs to be in a quiet environment though to hear it. Do you think this may be it with yours?

it's definately the mirros covers. I tried taping it down on the gaps and the sound disappears. yeah i've also got that noise when i close a door or the boot gently. how do i get rid of it.

Try following the window reset instructions in the manual for your window problem. Reset the problematic window only and make sure you use the switch for that window that is causing the problem. For example, my passenger window always had difficutly, but when used with the passenger button only...NOT THE DRIVERS DOOR BUTTON FOR THAT window. Make sure you do this with the engine running. It seems to make a difference. Also, make sure you operate the window fully down first waiting for the full set of clicks before operating the button to take the window up, again waiting for the clicks at the top when it's closed, as per the book. This should do the trick. If not...get your garage to look again. They'll replace the window circuit board. Takes just 20mins.

thanks for the advise, i had it backl at the dealers and they thought it was the motor which they're replaced. I'll give that trick a go. what exactly is the click? am i looking out for the electric motor click or.something else?

Hi again Fabia, yes the clicks are heard after the window fully opens or closes, and you keep the window button pressed on until you hear the window ratchet mechanism click 3 times (if my memory serves me correctly it's 3). Once you hear the clicks immediately release the button. This has told the electronics that the window has reached for example, the full open position. Then do the same by closing the window and keeping the button lifted until you hear the clicks. Again release the button immediately once you hear them. So now you have reset the window by telling the electronics how far to go up or down and when to stop. This should sort out the direction of travel issue too. Let us know how it goes eh! Oh, I'd recommend keeping the engine running as you do this. In theory it shouldn't make any difference, but for some reason it does I have noticed on some cars.

do i hold the buton up/down fully or until the first slot/catch

Hold the button up or down fully depending which way you are wanting the window to go. Don't use the one touch feature by letting it go after lifting or pushing a button...just keep light pressure on it either up or down all the way until the window stops and you hear the clicks.