Fabia intermittent PAS failure problem

Fenlander62

Gee thanks.

I've had its steering rack replaced twice, the last time It was looked at earlier this year the garage couldn't find what was causing it and I imagine its going to be the same again. :(

Does it tend to be an electrical problem more than mechanical? When it starts playing up the radio and lights are also affected so logically shouldn't it be something within that group of parts?

Based on personal and 'site' experience, and taking your symptoms into account, I'd try a new battery first, then the angle sensor, then the pump. As Lummox has suggested, even fault code scans can be inconclusive.

Is there a single definitive answer to what causes this widespread and common problem on what is otherwise a really nice car?

If there is please post a link or give a list of things what can cause it.

Thanks

I feel for you mate, mines going back today after a battery change didn't fix it! :(

I think the skoda mechanics/dealers (some of them at least) are aware of the cause and are reluctant to cough up for a new pump motor or angle sensor under warranty.

This problem has been common for a while on the fabia I found found posts dating back to 2004 with the same issues, It is strange that a lot of people on this forum have reported the issue recently?? Is it has something to do with the state of the roads or speed bumps??

Here's a list of potential causes:

PAS sensor

PAS Pump

ECU

Alternator / over charging

Battery

Faulty yaw sensor on the steering rack

Although there could be other causes!

Hth

:D

' date='21 September 2010 - 06:52' timestamp='1285051960' post='2112235']

I feel for you mate, mines going back today after a battery change didn't fix it! :(

I think the skoda mechanics/dealers (some of them at least) are aware of the cause and are reluctant to cough up for a new pump motor or angle sensor under warranty.

This problem has been common for a while on the fabia I found found posts dating back to 2004 with the same issues, It is strange that a lot of people on this forum have reported the issue recently?? Is it has something to do with the state of the roads or speed bumps??

Here's a list of potential causes:

PAS sensor

PAS Pump

ECU

Alternator / over charging

Battery

Faulty yaw sensor on the steering rack

Although there could be other causes!

Hth

:D

Well its a possibility about the roads helping cause it. Most of the roads that I have to travel to get onto reasonable ones are as bumpy as anything and not even driving slower makes much difference. Mine's well out of its warranty (2001 registration) bit I'm fortunate having a garage that doesn't rip me off and only does what really needs doing.

Thanks for the list. It gives me an idea about what we can look at to see whats doing it. I suppose if we're looking at road bumps being a possible cause we can add weak suspension to the list although tonight's failure happened on a newly re-surfaced piece of dual carriageway at a relatively low speed aproaching a roundabout without having been on any bumpy fenland minor roads before then.

I replaced my battery 2 days ago and the power steering is behaving itself, no heavy / light steering and the light is staying off. I have also ordered a new alternator as my alternator has an intermittent charging problem, it charges and then suddenly it gets hiccups and the lights flicker very badly as the voltage across the battery does from 14.4v to 13.8v. When I turn the steering with a new battery in it only drops to 14.3 which leads me to believe it is the alternator and not the steering pump or sensor.

Will put the new alternator in today or tomorrow and see if that solves the flickering / voltage drop issue. If not then I will look for a sensor...

I am holding thumbs that the alternator is the culprit.

Best of luck - check the condition of the alternator cables while you're at it, as they're notorious for having virtually no slack which can cause them to come apart at the connectors...

Yeh, Thats quite common on 1.4's, happened to my mates Ibiza 1.4, he had all sorts of electrical problems all down to the stretched wire.

My fabia (2001 on a Y plate) which i bought yesterday has no power steering at all, the kind old guy i bought it off says it's intermittent but on my 40 mile drive home, nothing!! It does have a knackered F/O shock away, could this cause any problem, i'm going to replace this first and then look at the steering...