Second speed indicator on Yeti Information Display

Moonman2

My Yeti (TDI 2.0 SE(140) 4x4) has finally arrived! I'm very pleased with it, especially the heated seats :)

Question - the car's current speed is shown in the Information Display, but in km/h. No good for me, and too much mental arithmetic to convert to mph. I can't work out how to get it to show the damn thing in imperial units. The manual suggests there's an option in the Setup menu ("Second Speed"), but it ain't there. The manual also suggests that the little button just to the bottom left of the rev counter binnacle can be used to change units, but, again, no go, that just lets me change the time of day.

Anybody know how to do it?

Brendan

on a UK car you cannot alter this display, due to EU regulations. These regulations state that the car must have both MPH and KMH displayed, since the speedo only has MPH on it Skoda use the central display for KMH.

The second speed option is also missing in other countries where local requirements dictate simillar to ours.

Question - the car's current speed is shown in the Information Display, but in km/h. No good for me, and too much mental arithmetic to convert to mph. I can't work out how to get it to show the damn thing in imperial units. [....] Anybody know how to do it?

Brendan

This has been discussed a couple of times in the Superb II forum. Bottom line is that on UK spec vehicles it cannot be changed as the analogue speedometer in the dashboard is only marked up for MPH. EU regulations UK Construction & Use regulations (thanks Llanigraham for clarifying) specify that the vehicle speed has to be available in both MPH and KMPH to allow for driving in countries where speed signage is in KMPH.

It's a shame as like you I would have quite liked a digital MPH readout on the dashboard.

Best regards

David

Beaten to it by mannyo .... I must get back to what I'm supposed to be doing :)

Edited by cookdn

This has been discussed a couple of times in the Superb II forum. Bottom line is that on UK spec vehicles it cannot be changed as the analogue speedometer in the dashboard is only marked up for MPH. EU regulations specify that the vehicle speed has to be available in both MPH and KMPH to allow for driving in countries where speed signage is in KMPH.

It's a shame as like you I would have quite liked a digital MPH readout on the dashboard.

Best regards

David

Beaten to it by mannyo .... I must get back to what I'm supposed to be doing :)

Rats. Thanks anyway chaps.

Brendan

I thought we had established that this isn't EU regulations, but more about Skoda UK misunderstanding the EU regulations. Given the number of times that this gets asked on the forum, it seems obvious that Skoda UK got this wrong and should allow UK owners to change this to display MPH.

In other European countries, they have the option to display this in KPH or MPH. So, if they then drive in the UK, and have set their display to KPH, wouldn't they then be breaking this so-called EU regulation?

I thought we had established that this isn't EU regulations, but more about Skoda UK misunderstanding the EU regulations. Given the number of times that this gets asked on the forum, it seems obvious that Skoda UK got this wrong and should allow UK owners to change this to display MPH.

In other European countries, they have the option to display this in KPH or MPH. So, if they then drive in the UK, and have set their display to KPH, wouldn't they then be breaking this so-called EU regulation?

Tarbet,

UK Construction & Use Regs require that any vehicle sold in the UK has to have a speed reading display showing both MPH and KPH. Since the Yeti speedo only shows MPH then the digital display MUST show KPH only.

UK C & U Regs exceed Euro Regs in this case.

It is not SUK being useless or misunderstanding anything in any way.

Edited by Llanigraham

It might not be an EU regulation, but a Bwritish stiff upper lip interpretation of it :(

UK Construction & Use Regs require that any vehicle sold in the UK has to have a speed reading display showing both MPH and KPH. Since the Yeti speedo only shows MPH then the digital display MUST show KPH only.

Okay, thanks for explaining that. Seems a really stupid UK regulation, when most of our cars never leave the UK. Maybe the UK borders agency should insist that all cars coming into the UK from Europe also have a MPH display, and turn drivers away at the tunnel and ports if they don't!!

What next, all UK cars must also have a steering wheel on the passenger side just in case it's driven abroad!!

Tarbet,

UK C & U Regs exceed Euro Regs in this case.

It is not SUK being useless or misunderstanding anything in any way.

Does anyone know when these Construction & Use Regs came into force as we also have a Toyota Yaris 2008 with a digital display speedometer and there is nothing in the manual that shows this can be converted to KPH. As it stands, we only have MPH, which would be a problem if we did ever wish to take it on the continent.

Edited by glamorgan

...... which would be a problem if we did ever wish to take it on the continent.

Frankly, I fail to see the problem. The most important speed limts on the continent and in the UK are 30 mph = 50 km/h and 70 mph = about 120 km/h. as for the other ones, it is not really that difficult to multiply the mph readings by 1.6 to get km/hr.

If you really want to be accurate, make a little sticker or paste-on note with the following conversions:

30=50

44=70

50=80

63=100

80=130

After just a short time driving, you do not need to even look at the sticker, it becomes just natural.

For the mathematically inclined, not the numbers are not totally acurate, but closer than you can read off the speedometer.

In most of the continental countries, the local gendarmes are not too hysterical about minor speed infractions - that is except in Switzerland, where that are quite hysterical and expensive. I would not expect that there are agreementsd between the various countries and the UK for collecting fines across national borders, so the risk is minimal if you are a normally conscientous driver.

While we are at it, if you need to drive in Germany, make sure you get an environmental sticker for the car. Most large cities require this, or you cannot drive into the centers of towns. It's a one time deal, lasting the life of the car. They can probably be purchased from your local motoring organization for about £10 or so. Austria, Switzerland and Czech require a motorway vignet, which you can buy at the border or at petrol stations close to the border.

Edited by Agerbundsen

on a UK car you cannot alter this display, due to EU regulations. These regulations state that the car must have both MPH and KMH displayed, since the speedo only has MPH on it Skoda use the central display for KMH.

The second speed option is also missing in other countries where local requirements dictate simillar to ours.

So why don't Skoda put (small) KMH graduations on the main speedo? That is how most car companies comply with these reg.s.

In this age of 'chipping' of black boxes to increase performance, surely even if Skoda UK won't sanction the digital display being in MPH, then someone should be able to crack the system and enable it.

Is anyone aware of any other UK sold VAG cars with the equivalent of Maxidot, where the digital display can be in MPH?

Frankly, I fail to see the problem. The most important speed limts on the continent and in the UK are 30 mph = 50 km/h and 70 mph = about 120 km/h. as for the other ones, it is not really that difficult to multiply the mph readings by 1.6 to get km/hr.

If you really want to be accurate, make a little sticker or paste-on note with the following conversions:

30=50

44=70

50=80

63=100

80=130

After just a short time driving, you do not need to even look at the sticker, it becomes just natural.

For the mathematically inclined, not the numbers are not totally acurate, but closer than you can read off the speedometer.

In most of the continental countries, the local gendarmes are not too hysterical about minor speed infractions - that is except in Switzerland, where that are quite hysterical and expensive. I would not expect that there are agreementsd between the various countries and the UK for collecting fines across national borders, so the risk is minimal if you are a normally conscientous driver.

While we are at it, if you need to drive in Germany, make sure you get an environmental sticker for the car. Most large cities require this, or you cannot drive into the centers of towns. It's a one time deal, lasting the life of the car. They can probably be purchased from your local motoring organization for about £10 or so. Austria, Switzerland and Czech require a motorway vignet, which you can buy at the border or at petrol stations close to the border.

True about Switzerland - when I lived there I got done for 52 kph in a 50 limit! Although apparently it might have been as high as 54 kph... They sent me a bill for 20CHF (about a tenner). Not sure if they could be bothered to chase a UK registered car though.

• 5 months later...

anyone have a resolution to this issue? - its bloody annoying - i'm British and generally only use to MPH - I am NOT european and never wish to drive my yeti in EU, KPH means nowt to me! anyone remap/ or get around this by re-programming etc?

I love the car - its great, sadly only let down IMHO by this.

What if you code the car to a different country other than UK? Maybe then you can swap between KPH/MPH???

Just a thought... :think:

You can code it to Australia, I think, but it still isn't switchable, other than through the VCDS.

My A4 has mph on the DIS (it has both mph and kph on the speedo.......just been out to check :D ), but there again the mph on the speedo is so ruddy small it's hard to know what speed you are doing till you get to about 50. The DiS speedo seems to be the default for A4 drivers :( At least it updates quickly and pretty accurately :)

You can code it to Australia, I think, but it still isn't switchable, other than through the VCDS.

You code it through VCDS to Australia and you can then change between mph with temp or kmh at will through maxidot.

You code it through VCDS to Australia and you can then change between mph with temp or kmh at will through maxidot.

Are the numbers upside down or does the speedo sweep in reverse though. These questions need answering.

• Like 2

True about Switzerland - when I lived there I got done for 52 kph in a 50 limit! Although apparently it might have been as high as 54 kph... They sent me a bill for 20CHF (about a tenner). Not sure if they could be bothered to chase a UK registered car though.

They probably won't chase you for the money, but you may be registered as a non-payer of the fine. Should you ever get stopped by the police in Switzerland again in the future, it might come back and bite you in the butt.

There has recently been an agreement in many EU countries to enforce collection of fines from other countries. There is a de minimis level, I think it is about €40, and the system functions only sporadically, but be aware that the local plod may come after you for a violation in some other EU country.

Edited by Agerbundsen

You could always just match the speed of other drivers around you - if you're prepared to brake suddenly when they spot a speed camera :giggle:

But even though my Octavia is old enough to have both MPH and KPH marked on its speedo, when I drive in mainland Europe I set my TomTom to show kilometres rather than miles to get an accurate reading of speeds and distances.

(And with all the scams and overcharging for hire cars and insurance, I much prefer driving my own car on holiday rather than queuing for hours in airports!

Chris