heated mirrors

Loads of threads on this. A quick search should reveal plenty of advice.

Two main reasons for complaint:

1) Some claim that they don't actually perform very well - even from new.

2) The switch design isn't great which easily confuses owners.

Be sure that the knob is rotated to the 9 o'clock position. Note that there is no light to signify their activation.

This often results in them being inadvertently left on, which some claim affects their performance over time.

Some people expect them to dry the mirror glass when it's raining. As far as I am aware they are designed primarily to remove frost rather than water droplets so they don't actually need to get that hot to perform their purpose - another reason some think they aren't working correctly.

Loads of threads on this. A quick search should reveal plenty of advice.

Two main reasons for complaint:

1) Some claim that they don't actually perform very well - even from new.

2) The switch design isn't great which easily confuses owners.

Be sure that the knob is rotated to the 9 o'clock position. Note that there is no light to signify their activation.

This often results in them being inadvertently left on, which some claim affects their performance over time.

Some people expect them to dry the mirror glass when it's raining. As far as I am aware they are designed primarily to remove frost rather than water droplets so they don't actually need to get that hot to perform their purpose - another reason some think they aren't working correctly.

Do you have the rear screen heater on as well? Mine seem to work independent of the rear (separate 'L', 'R' and 'heater' positions on switch) but my wife's only work with the rear screen heater on at the same time (combined 'L+R', separate 'L' and 'heater' positions on switch). Could just be coincidence...???

Do you have the rear screen heater on as well? Mine seem to work independent of the rear (separate 'L', 'R' and 'heater' positions on switch) but my wife's only work with the rear screen heater on at the same time (combined 'L+R', separate 'L' and 'heater' positions on switch). Could just be coincidence...???

I will try with the rear heater on, thanks.

hi new to the forum i have a octavia vrs 2006 and the wing mirrors dont seem to heat up,been told they dont heat up that much any advise would be great.

I've also got a MY2006 vRS and I find the heated mirrors excellent, they seem to dry out water droplets with in a few minutes, maybe the elements have gone on yours, it is an easy fix to change the glass, check these out for cheap as chips replacements. :thumbup:

Oh and welcome along mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have had a meter on them but for some reason there is 7.8v when the mirrors are switched off and 15.9v when switched on. This can't be right, can it? Oh and the multimeter works fine.

15.9v "switched on" - That's not right for sure, since the alternator shouldn't be producing that much voltage! Are you certain the multipeter is reading correctly, cos if it is, it suggests you have a regulator problem and should see an auto electrician soonest, and minimise use of the car until you have.

Right I have just double checked it. With mirrors switched off, 7.28v, this is not right, is it? Then with them on 14.31v. I also tried the 12v socket which is also 14.31v or 12.3v with the engine off.

If there is a rear window style logo on the mirror switch then they are controlled off them (MK2 Octavias, later models) otherwise they are off the rear window (MK1 and possibly early Mk2)

If they aren't starting to clear within a few seconds check the wiring on the back of the mirror as they are only spade terminals and can easily work loose when idiots knock your wing mirrors. Failing that the element has probably gone which means you need to replace the mirror glass. Have had to replace both on my Bora at around 4 years old so they don't seem to last too long.

Right it would seem that 14.31V is about right as the car when running puts out 14.5V from the alternator to charge and all car electrics are designed to take 16V. The residual 7.28v is the car sending a signal to find out where the mirror is and it shows as a fault in VAG COM that the mirror is not there or not working. The basic answer is both my mirrors are broke!

The poor or confusing design of the VAG switch often results in the mirrors being left in the 'on' position.

Over time this will likely result in a reduced life for the heating elements.

I had a 2002 BMW 320d and the heated mirrors were on permanently whenever the engine was running, even in the summer! As a result the mirror glass was notorious for delaminating.

As advised I'd check the connections, failing that it'll be two new mirror glasses :thumbdown: