How long can she keep going?

Hi all,

I am the proud owner of a 'rare' Laurin & Klement 2004 1.9Tdi PD 130. I have owned the car for just over 3 years now. There was 57K on the clock when we got it, fully skoda serviced, and it is now on 125K, still regularly serviced, but at a local garage where one of the mechanics is ex-skoda.

This is our main family car (was only car until only just recently) and we love it. I have just started a new job which involves a 45-50 mile commute every day. Now thats a great fun drive in such a great car...nice to have overtaking those lorries on the old A4 around Marlborough! I am now thinking that I don't really want to put so many miles on the clock, 22K a year & more including journies to family across the country, and am worried it will be nearly 200K in no time.

I have had the cambelt done at last service (after being caught out in a previous car, nissan primera chain!) and also this year had D bushes on Front Antiroll bar done. It has literally just had its clutch and Dual Mas Flywheel replaced (feels so much better now!). It has begun to get costly to replace stuff. I am now thinking what next? I have had some vibration issues for a while (the reason for the D bushes replacement), a bit better after the D bushes, also a bit better after the clutch and Flywheel. and I also suspect the rear underbody tray which has broken off one of its supports...will get replaced at next service. As I have said I get it serviced ervery 10K. I have never had a new exhaust though and was also wondering how long the suspension can be expected to last?

I would say I don't generally drive it too hard, but I do like to be in front...if you know what I mean, so use the power when I need to, and on an open road its difficult not be to tempted to go for it. Though being an Advanced Driver I am pretty gentle with it at other times.

So my question is, how many more miles can I expect out of it? And how much might need replacing between now and then. Are the likely to be any big bills coming up? I would rather slow the milleage down and keep the car longer than run it into the ground as quick as poss. I have looked into getting a brand new car for the commute only, something economical and small (Audi A1, Citroen DS3, VW Polo, that sort of thing) and I reckon on PCP and general fuel and maintance savings, the new car option is not that costly, maybe only an extra 40 quid a month. But that extra 40 quid a month is money we should be saving for a house deposit. If my fears about my beloved Octavia becoming a money pit are unfounded, it would take a weight off my mind and allow me to enjoy the drive again,rather than worry about whats going to fall off next!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Topher Bear

My cousin dose the servising on some taxis and the last skode octavia had over 300k + on the clock befor the change to a new one and it was still going good.

As long as you treat them right thay will keep going and going.

only a something letting go big time will stop them :-)

There is plenty of life left in your Octavia, the 1.9 diesel engine in the mk1 is the best of the bunch. Taxi drivers love them because they go on forever, 300K miles is quiet possible and beyond.

Dont worry about the mileage, just continue to use the car as you do now.

You will get wear & tear on any car, sounds like you have had the BIG jobs done already, ( clutch & dmf) only other BIG item you didnt mention was gearbox.

Like others here, I agree you will get plenty of miles out of youre engine yet, as long as you get it serviced regularly, There are lots of Mk1 Octy taxis where i live, that have been going for years.

Edited by lfc958

Mine's booked into awesome for its 150k mile interim service plus aux belt and tensioner change but its running very well at the moment.

Its had the front wishbone bushes, ARB bushes and dog-bone bush uprated, spring/dampers changed, stainless exhaust and uprated clutch fitted. Thats about it for major wear items that have been replaced. It still feels solid and I hope it will last double its current mileage!

As you have already spent a fair bit on the dmf & clutch, I would be inclined to keep hold of the car and replace worn items as and when.

Im sure most PCP places quote for doing just 10k miles a year so doing 24k might be quite expensive.

mine has 435.567 miles and i hammer it to work and back every day it does a 1000 miles a week with no problem at all and never really spent a penny on it and does 67 to the gallon lol

Have you changed/needed to change the injectors? Is it a TDI or SDI as it seesm the SDI's go on far longerr than the TDI's for some reason.

I did not read the bit about PCP, PCP contracts are based typically on 10K miles per year with a 5p per mile penalty on top of that which for the additional 12000 miles per year will add £2K in mileage penalties over 3 years. In the OPs case a PCP would work out very expensive, possibly more expensive than a standard HP agreement or bank loan.

I think most points have been covered, ours was sold at 165000 & is still going now with the new owner. One word of caution, ours was laid up for about 10 weeks after it was slightly shortened & after that it took a whoile to get it running sweetly again & the gear linkage stiffened & wouldnt free off sufficently, I think they actually benefit from constant use as demonstrated by the Taxi fleet of the UK so getting another car may be false economy. As for running costs if you struggle the breakers have tons of parts. If you are worried put the extra money in a seperate account until you have built up a small nest egg to use for repairs or a deposit on a new car if you need to make a snap decision should the Octy expire, that will give you peace of mind. Re the gearbox at some point consider an oil change, cheap to do but its not a service item as its assumed the oil stays in for the life of the car.

Edited by Stuart_J

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to drag this one up again, but i've only just had the chance to get back on.

I'd just like to say thanks guys. I think you've reassured me. What I really wasn't sure about is what expesnses I might expect in the next year or two!

In response to a couple of comments made. I have priced out the cost of new car including the extra milleage, and did get a quote for £200 a month for a DS3 on that milleage, which is still about £40 a month, taking all costs into consideration (although the Octavia repairs are unknown). Also I do put money aside for car servicing and repair (£100 a month - but in the last two years it hasn't been enough and I'vce been constantly playing catch up!), and its been this experience that has questioned my possible future repair bills.

No I haven't had gearbox done, nor suspension or exhaust. And right now one side of my headlamps won't auto level. The rear undertray needs replacing due to a broken support (this i think might be my last vibration issue!)...Its not going to let me down on the road, but it might cost me to keep it that way. Though I guess probably not that much now.

Thanks again

Topher Bear

I know this is an old thread, but stick it on variable servicing and then it will only need servicing probably every 30k. My2001 110TDI is like that and on 175k and showing no signs of failure..... (touch wood)