Recommendations for a good HID lamp kit

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats thrown a spanner in the works!! The kit you have brought has 'slimline ballasts', the one I'm just about to get has 'super mini ballasts' both from the same seller, but your one is 5 quid more............... :S

Thats thrown a spanner in the works!! The kit you have brought has 'slimline ballasts', the one I'm just about to get has 'super mini ballasts' both from the same seller, but your one is 5 quid more............... :S

Supermini ballasts are for Toyota IQ's, not Octys.......not! :rofl:

the only reason i went for that set is because it says they are suitable for cars with projector headlights, but probably all of them are.

Same item and size I think..

Same item and size I think..

Yep, just had an email back from the seller, stating that the 2 kits are the same, but one I am getting is on offer (sorry DLW)!

Can I just confirm one point, do I need to have the controller updated prior to installing the HID or only if I get a bulb warning light?

Yep, just had an email back from the seller, stating that the 2 kits are the same, but one I am getting is on offer (sorry DLW)!

Can I just confirm one point, do I need to have the controller updated prior to installing the HID or only if I get a bulb warning light?

might send an email and try and get £5 back :( not to worry though

You WILL get a bulb warning unless you recode and there may be a problem with the lights turning on/off (although no damage can be done). The controller will be confused and think there is a blown bulb.

Basically fit the HID's and then recode the controller straightaway.

I got my HID's todays, so I will try to fit them tomorrow if I can get somebody to plug into my car and change the settings.

I'm not certain about the disclaimer on the paper work with the lamps.

"Are these XENON HID light systems street legal?"

"Every country and jurisdiction has its own rules and regulations governing the use of automotive lighting. XENON HID lighting systems that are supplied with the vehicles from the factory are DOT/E approved. Our kits are made by our manufacturers that supply all the major car companies os the world. NO XENON HID lighting systems available from any source is DOT/E approved if installed outside the factory. These kits are not street legal for use on public roads as they are . As a result, we officially endorse the kit for exhibition and off-road use and will only sell the kit to be used for these purposes. We are not responsible for customers who violate the terms of sale in which they will assume all responsibilities for any unauthorised or unintended use other than exhibition or or off-road use."

Nice way to cover their arses :)

Fitted mine this afternoon, now I need somebody local or at least not a million miles away to connect VCDS tomorrow if anybody will offer :D.

I stuck the Ballasts to the inside of the dust cover with No Nails removable sticky pads

post-65194-12920861803399_thumb.jpg

They work when the engine is not running but flash when it is

post-65194-12920862912439_thumb.jpg

Right one is HID.

Darren

Personally I wouldn't have fitted them until the car can be recoded. You're now running an HID kit with the car coded for halogen. The controller in the car now thinks you've got both headl;ights out, and furthermore, if you haven't got maxidot to tell you, you'll not be warned of any other bulbs that go in the meantime.

Also, make absolutely sure you get the lights realigned ASAP. The alignment needed for HID bulbs is different from that needed for halogens.

Mike

I probably should have but wouldn't having the recode without HID's have brought up problems also? I will get them adjusted on monday if I can get recoded tomorrow. The car only shows the bulb out if I turn them on so I can run side lights without any problem

Yes, the bulb failure would come up either way. Hadn't thought about not having the lights switched on -- I haven't got that option, as mine's coded for Scandinavian DRLs, so are on as soon as I turn the key!

Mike

I can turn DRL's off in mfd

Maybe you can alsoemoticon-0105-wink.gifemoticon-0105-wink.gif

Fitted mine this afternoon, now I need somebody local or at least not a million miles away to connect VCDS tomorrow if anybody will offer :D.

I stuck the Ballasts to the inside of the dust cover with No Nails removable sticky pads

post-65194-12920861803399_thumb.jpg

They work when the engine is not running but flash when it is

post-65194-12920862912439_thumb.jpg

Right one is HID.

Darren

Any chance of compressing the pic's slightly, they are HUGE!!! Also, are you saying that after fitting the HIDs they work with the engine off, but when you turn the engine on they flash? Or are you refering to the bulb warning light flashes? I would be grateful if you post the results when you get the coding changed. :thumbup:

Edited by Pagey1255

Any chance of compressing the pic's slightly, they are HUGE!!! Also, are you saying that after fitting the HIDs they work with the engine off, but when you turn the engine on they flash? Or are you refering to the bulb warning light flashes? I would be grateful if you post the results when you get the coding changed. :thumbup:

The Lights flash for a bit then turn off, I hope this is not a power drain problem. the dash light is just permanently on but only when the cars engine is running and the lights are switched on.

post-65194-12921028477803_thumb.jpg

post-65194-12921028563519_thumb.jpg

Try these

Edited by DLW

• 4 weeks later...

I will be ordering a 35w, 5000k set tomorrow as per Hauptmann's recommendation. :thumbup:

Well,

Did you go ahead and order/fit them?

I am trying to locate someone to recode for me.

Would my dealer do it or would he try to tell me it would void my warranty??

Well,

Did you go ahead and order/fit them?

I am trying to locate someone to recode for me.

Would my dealer do it or would he try to tell me it would void my warranty??

I haven't yet, due to a service, timing belt and water pump 2 new front tyres + the brakes dying on the work horse, not to mention the extravagance of a 50" tv (that I didn't need but hey ho, boys and there toys). But I will be in the next few days, you could look here to find a member near to you with VCDS to recode for you. :thumbup:

I guess the dealer would recode but they will charge, and I'm not sure about the warranty, sorry.

Don't want to throw a spanner into the works but these kits will be 'illegal' from 2012 (if they aren't already) as MOT requirements will be changed and HID's will be checked that they have auto levelling and a headlight washer system. Not sure if you know this but thought I would give you the heads up!

Don't want to throw a spanner into the works but these kits will be 'illegal' from 2012 (if they aren't already) as MOT requirements will be changed and HID's will be checked that they have auto levelling and a headlight washer system. Not sure if you know this but thought I would give you the heads up!

There is a lot of speculation, but nothing definite so far. There are various proposals, but it is unclear if/how they will be implemented.

For example, Construction and Use regs make no reference to the type of light source used. The requirement for washers and levelling applies for any light source exceeding 2500 Lumen (which could potentially be exceeded by a 55W halogen bulb). Lot of unaswered question I reckon.

I will be ok there as here in Ireland, Cars of 4 yr. old and older get tested.. Mine will be well gone by then emoticon-0103-cool.gif