A question about DSG

krko

Lets get a few things........................................ I am being dazzled by their lights.............................dazzle.................................... could dazzle................. In my opinion this is also dazzling.........................not too bad during the day but very dazzling at night.........................one 21w bulb as dazzling

One set of £4.99 sunglasses on their way B) :p :rofl:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

h5djr

I am in complete agreement with you regarding the dazzle presented by three brake light and are the latest LED's even worse?

polocoupe,

On the other hand , you sound like a right prat, when will you be buying that BMW? it should suit your attitude Sir!

I suffer from poor night vision, linked to being short sighted as I understand.

I do use an optician on a regular basis and my eyes & eyesight are perfectly good to drive with.

I also drive slower at night, especially in the rain, and take extra care regarding pedestrians/possibility of pedestrians.

I do NOT unfortunately need lazy f--------- sitting with their foot on the brake whilst stationary, its just plumb ignorant.

I shall perhaps invest in a million candlepower rechargable torch to see if I can get the dazzling message across more successfully.

I did actually comment in another post that this footbrake thing was one aspect of DSG driving I found fault with.

I habitually slip the car into neutral, when stopped for more than a couple of seconds for this reason,

just like i do with the automatic Steyr Puch.

Scheesh

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

A grenade launcher set so as to lob a flashbang in front of them, that just might get their attention. ;)

Edited by dieseldogg

if you're "blinded" by the car in front's brake lights, you probably have something wrong with your eyes.

sounds like it might be dangerous for anyone in that unlikely situation to drive themselves.

Redlemon,

Your eyesight is perhaps worse than mine If you could not read wot I wrote, or do you rather have problems with comprehension?

My eyes pass all & any necessary tests.

However I still excerise extra caution when driving after dark.

This may be why I have not been involved in an "at fault" accident in over 500,000 miles.

Cheers

M

Redlemon,

Your eyesight is perhaps worse than mine If you could not read wot I wrote, or do you rather have problems with comprehension?

My eyes pass all & any necessary tests.

However I still excerise extra caution when driving after dark.

This may be why I have not been involved in an "at fault" accident in over 500,000 miles.

Cheers

M

Errr, if you "look", Redlemon posted his piece at the same time as you, & probably not in response to your post.........eyesight, tut, tut, tut....

Flip me: people do get ratty on here sometimes..... :D

At traffic lights etc in my previous car (manual) I would keep brake lights on until the two cars behind have also stopped - this a security measure in case the one behind thinks that if there are no brake lights on that I am movng; if he stops and applies handbrake, the second car may also think he is moving, so my lights remaining on should be visible and indicate that the queue is stationary. I also put it in neutral and apply the handbrake - if you do get hit from behind and you are in gear with the footbrake applied, you will tend to instinctively let your feet up, so lurching into the car in front of you. When I pull off, just engage first gear, release handbrake and away I go.

Now I have a DSG, I cannot quite do this as I have to use the footbrake to change from N to D, so I need to show brake lights for a second or two just before I move off.

Showing brake lights until you can be sure the cars behind you are also stopping is standard Advanced Driving practice, or it certainly was when I passed my IAM test.

At traffic lights etc in my previous car (manual) I would keep brake lights on until the two cars behind have also stopped - this a security measure in case the one behind thinks that if there are no brake lights on that I am movng; if he stops and applies handbrake, the second car may also think he is moving, so my lights remaining on should be visible and indicate that the queue is stationary. I also put it in neutral and apply the handbrake - if you do get hit from behind and you are in gear with the footbrake applied, you will tend to instinctively let your feet up, so lurching into the car in front of you. When I pull off, just engage first gear, release handbrake and away I go.

Now I have a DSG, I cannot quite do this as I have to use the footbrake to change from N to D, so I need to show brake lights for a second or two just before I move off.

Showing brake lights until you can be sure the cars behind you are also stopping is standard Advanced Driving practice, or it certainly was when I passed my IAM test.

according to my wife whom is driving instructor if you where to practice tarmac and tyres

you would not be close enough to the car in front to be dazled got 90,000 mls on 6 speed dsg

always sit at lights in d main reason is the delay when selecting d to the car actually moving off.

got an auto as fed up yanking gear lever up and down all day so just leave it in d for ten to twelve

hours each day

When I was taught to drive I was told it was bad manners to sit with your foot on the brake and thus your brake lights on because you blinded the person behind you. Nowadays no body seems to be bothered about manners, driving or otherwise and many people are just far too lazy to use the handbrake. If I come up behind a car sitting there with it's brake lights on, I tend to stay back a bit and put my Xenon headlights on main beam. It usually make the brake lights go off!!!

Doesn't that make you even worse, as you are doing it on purpose?

if you're "blinded" by the car in front's brake lights, you probably have something wrong with your eyes.

sounds like it might be dangerous for anyone in that unlikely situation to drive themselves.

Different people have different sensitivities, especially to red light. For instance, the slight flicker form LED taillights irritates me, but SWMBO can't see it.

Anyway, back on-topic, I use N on my DSG at times when I'd put a manual car into neutral- so if the stop is more than a minute or so, probably.

Edited by cjb

Even if you stick it in N and put the handbrake on, you still have to put the footbrake on to change from N to D - it won't go in if you're only using the handbrake. As I found out two nights ago having just got my DSG 3 days ago!

This is one of the features I hate on my car. It's only good manners not to dazzle the driver behind. However when the lights change, foot on the brake, off with the stiff handbrake, into gear, big pause and then off with a jerk! Roundabouts are even worse, just have to remain in drive mode.

I'm sorry, I want to like my Skoda, but when I go into town I prefer to take my wifes old Corsa auto.

Well it seems like most of the Skoda drivers on here are current modern drivers who show no consideration for anyone other than themselves.

Makes me glad I currently drive currently Audi and not a Skoda.

Apparently Audi drivers are the new c*cks. :giggle:

Not my words, btw.

Edited by pixor

This is one of the features I hate on my car. It's only good manners not to dazzle the driver behind. However when the lights change, foot on the brake, off with the stiff handbrake, into gear, big pause and then off with a jerk! Roundabouts are even worse, just have to remain in drive mode.

I'm sorry, I want to like my Skoda, but when I go into town I prefer to take my wifes old Corsa auto.

With the 6-speed DSG on my A3 I don't find a problem doing exactly as you describe. It is what I do whenever I stop for more that a few seconds. When the lights change, I release the (not stiff) handbrake, foot briefly on the foot

brake, engage D and pull away very smoothly. No delay or jerking. Although they are both the same engine and gearbox set-up, perhaps Audi have the DSG control software better sorted than Skoda

I was considering buying a Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI-140 CR DSG Elegence Estate but having looked at one at a dealers yesterday, I've decided I will stick to the Audi A3.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If apologies are due to redlemon ?

Not a problem, I have a hat I can eat :D

no, i wasn't replying to you. the "blinded" in quotes was referring to an earlier post, but i wasn't intending to be specific to that poster really.

unfortunate timing of our posts made it look otherwise. no apologies necessary.

talking of quotes, didn't someone say earlier that they were always taught to use neutral and handbrake when stopped? i can't help wondering if they were taught in an automatic? surely the increased incidence of brake lights being on at junctions is a reflection of the popularity of auto transmissions?

talking of quotes, didn't someone say earlier that they were always taught to use neutral and handbrake when stopped? i can't help wondering if they were taught in an automatic? surely the increased incidence of brake lights being on at junctions is a reflection of the popularity of auto transmissions?

I believe the advice has changed over the years (and probably between driving instructors). I was taught to apply the handbrake and keep the car in first at traffic lights when I learnt about 10 years ago. My wife when she passed last year was taught to hold it in on the foot break unless it was obvious that it was going to be a long wait.

With the 6-speed DSG on my A3 I don't find a problem doing exactly as you describe. It is what I do whenever I stop for more that a few seconds. When the lights change, I release the (not stiff) handbrake, foot briefly on the foot

brake, engage D and pull away very smoothly. No delay or jerking. Although they are both the same engine and gearbox set-up, perhaps Audi have the DSG control software better sorted than Skoda

I was considering buying a Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI-140 CR DSG Elegence Estate but having looked at one at a dealers yesterday, I've decided I will stick to the Audi A3.

I think you'll find this will be the case an all modern autos including current model DSG Audis as the health and safety brigade get their own way, my dads 2009 merc with a traditional auto works in the same way...

Edited by Raglits

Well it seems like most of the Skoda drivers on here are current modern drivers who show no consideration for anyone other than themselves.

Can I respectfully ask what the heck are you doing on this forum then??? :giggle: Go and drive your "currently Audi"-full of raisins is it?? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

surely you must be able to find an AUDI forum.

then you could bore them with your drivel and leave us alone.

The six speed DSG has clutches running in oil and are kept cool, so a bit of drag while stationary should not have too much of an adverse effect. The 7 speed DSG however has dry clutch plates so I would think more care would be needed. I must say also that my 7 speed DSG does not seem to drag when you engage D so things could be set up differently.

on the other hand if I had a audi I would neeed to under go a humour bypass.

for the record not that I need to explain myself but I do take mine out of D and often use the handbrake, I do not however do that until someone has actually come to a full stop behide me.

Edited by polocoupe

The six speed DSG has clutches running in oil and are kept cool, so a bit of drag while stationary should not have too much of an adverse effect. The 7 speed DSG however has dry clutch plates so I would think more care would be needed. I must say also that my 7 speed DSG does not seem to drag when you engage D so things could be set up differently.

As I said further up - the drag experienced on the wet plate DSG's is not due to the clutches being partially engaged - its due to hydraulic drag between the closely spaced clutch plates.

The dry plate DSG's obviously don't experience this effect and so you don't feel any 'creep'.

On both systems the application of the brake pedal causes the clutches to fully disengage. This is necessary not only to reduce clutch wear, but also reduce emissions.

The reason VAG (actually BorgWarner - who designed and developed these transmission) recommend you leave the transmission in D is that there is possibility that many drivers could increase RPM iwhen setting off, prior to the mechatronic unit fully moving the transmission into 'D' - this can cause a shock load to the transmission.

You only need to move to N when stuck in traffic for a lengthy period on a very hot day. Moving to N will reduce heating of the fluid and keep the transmission cooler.

Edited by Hauptmann

Like a lot of other things in life it becomes instintive, or should become instinstive

if one "teaches" oneself the correct procedure, step by step, it very quickly becomes ingrained/second nature

and performed smoothly & slickly & quickly without even thinking about the procedure

I am slowly getting the hang of the idosyncracies of smooth ( & in my opinion correct ) DSG operation

it must be said that I find the so called centre armrest in the Elegance a bit of an embuggerance, regarding the handbrake.

However I am teaching mysel /have taught myself to nudge it back with my elbow when coming to a standstill

It is however absolutly excellent as a rest for operating the DSG

In out and shake it all about.

PS

My father taught me

(i) Never keep ones foot on a clutch, nor slip a clutch, in or out or foot on the floor,

& if one has not the mental facalities or coordination to find the clutch when needed, instantly, one should NOT be driving

(ii) Never rest ones hand on a gearlever, it will wear the selectors ( not applic to DSG I presume)

These operating procedures appear to be alien to most drivers,

this judging by references about "needing to slip the clutch" incl reading this statement in motoring & caravan magazines.

Scheesh

PPS did I mention 227,500 on a clutch ( & still going) incl for towing.

Cheers

M

PPPS

I advised a mechanic today , when he sought my advice regarding the removal of a Fiesta tail light cluster, he should remove the interior trim as there might be sommat internal restraining the cluster, ( he was wishing to change a bulb)

NAH its only these two screws (external) that hold it. ( as advised by the local Ford Franchise garage)

Some time later he in disgust finally removed the internal trim and found a big plastic nut.

Like, what did I ( an amature) tell him?

tee hee

Right

Where the hell did I leave my Halo?

Edited by dieseldogg