FL Vrs stock ride height? (tsi, estate)

rob_e

Ok, so I was so keen when I got my car to get my new suspension bits on there, i totally forgot to measure the standard ride height. Not a major issue but i'd like to know where I am know in comparison with the stock height.

Can someone with a FL Vrs estate (petrol) do me a favour and measure the ride height front and rear and let me know? Easiest is just to measure from the centre of the wheel to the top of the wheel arch.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

I'd happily measure my car for you but I doubt a pre-FL TDI VRS is much use?

John

brouchure shows the ground clearance for a facelift estate as 128mm - that any use?

Thanks. Any idea where this is measured?

no sorry - it's one of the things that's just noted on the side of the diagram, rather than showing where it's measured.

I guess it's the lowest point, but whether that's on the front of the car or underneath, i can't say.

If it helps for someone with a hatch to measure, the hatch's clearance is noted as 127mm, so I guess you could take the hatch measurements and take off a millimetre

rob_e. Just been out with my tape measure and offer the following:

Front = 376mm, Rear = 371mm

Just to confirm this is a FL Octy 2 VRs Estate (TSI) (Boot empty aside from 205/55R16 steel spare and tool kit).

I can understand why you wanted the measurement from the centre of the wheels as it removes tyre make and tread depth out of the equation but you might want to consider the measurements +/- 2mm in case I didn't get the tape right in the centre. And by the way I measured both left and right sides and no variation (what you expect of course).

So how much have you dropped it by then?

rob_e. Just been out with my tape measure and offer the following:

Front = 376mm, Rear = 371mm

Just to confirm this is a FL Octy 2 VRs Estate (TSI) (Boot empty aside from 205/55R16 steel spare and tool kit).

I can understand why you wanted the measurement from the centre of the wheels as it removes tyre make and tread depth out of the equation but you might want to consider the measurements +/- 2mm in case I didn't get the tape right in the centre. And by the way I measured both left and right sides and no variation (what you expect of course).

So how much have you dropped it by then?

Thanks Andy - that's great.

Mine currently measures 340mm from the centre of the wheel to the arch, so by my maths i must be 36mm lower than stock compared to your front measurement. Thanks for checking that for me :)

cheers

Rob

• 5 months later...

Just measured my pre-fl hatch on AP coilovers wound right down, but with adjusters and helper springs still in. As it sits on the slope of the drive right now, I get 33.25cm all around. That would only make it 43mm lower than stock according the front figure above and not even that, going by the rear. That seems on the conservative side to me. Need to measure it on the flat really without the handbrake causing the back to rise up a bit. :rofl:

On my 07 vRS TDI I have 300mm from center wheel to the arch front and back :giggle:

Impressive for a static drop that. What coilovers - H&R ultralow?

EDIT - just read your post with list of mods - FK Highsport coilover with helpers removed.

Damn - now I REALLY want to remove my helpers / adjusters. I hate this country and my stupid road with five speed pillows between my house and the main road.

God damn it, I've got to get air haven't I?

Yes I have FK. Ultralow dont have TÃœV for the vRS (when i bought, maybe it have now?) :)

I tryed about 295mm, but than the driveshaft rubbed ALL the time. Must make more room to drive that low. But 300mm is realy low enough :rofl:

Here som pics at 295mm, INSANE litle clearanse under the car! Low dirty bitch:

DSC_0322.jpg

DSC_0320.jpg

DSC_0324.jpg

DSC_0329.jpg

But i had to go 5mm higher :giggle: Air is cheating ;)

hehe, I dont have any problems like that ;) All my friends have told me the same after a ride, that they are really surprised over the comfort and that it be such a good ride in that hight. :) FK are very comfy :)

The clearanse under is something else. The Octys are REALLY low under, even they dont look så very low. But you get the hang of it after a while ;) I have driven max lowered cars for 5 years so i have the training ;)

Edited by Stamsaas

Samsaas - that is RADICAL!

:rofl:

Even at 300mm you're still 70mm lower than stock - awesome!

Nick - see, I told you that wasn't a 65mm drop :p

At -45mm mine caught the occasional speed bump plus you need to consider the additional drop you get with passengers and a full boot (my weitecs drop a further 20mm with a full load). At -35 mine is just perfect for me - looks great and no issues with clearance, even with a full load.