ESP / ABS Issue

Justa

Evening

Apologies about bringing up an issue that understandably upsets people but...

I am thinking about buying a 2nd hand Octavia Vrs - for around 8k and from a dealer. It will probably be an 06 plate with 30-50k on the clock

I had never heard of the issue with the Teves Mk 60 until I read about it here - obviously I am concerned and just wondered if you can find out whether it has been replaced ?

thanks

After having a Mk60 fail on my 55 plate Volvo this year and being quoted £1500 to repair I wouldn't buy any used car fitted with that component without a warranty to cover it. Even if its been done the I believe replacements are just as likely to fail after another 3-5 years

There is a place that reconditions them and claim to make better than new replacement:

http://www.ecutesting.com/abs_pumps_modules.html

but its still going to be at least a £500 bill.

Edited by juan27

ask, the car should have a record of any warranty work. If not plently more out there if you are in doubt about it. Remember if something is really that cheap its normally for a reason,

ask, the car should have a record of any warranty work. If not plently more out there if you are in doubt about it. Remember if something is really that cheap its normally for a reason,

£8K isn't that cheap for an 06?

£8K isn't that cheap for an 06?

I think this is a minefield. Do you buy a 4 year old car which hasn't had it done but has no current problem? Only if the price supports buying a warranty until it fails? Do you buy a car which had it replaced with a new part 18 months ago knowing that it could fail within 2 years?

I think I would make sure my budget included £500 to put away for the day when it fails.

thanks for the replies

i must say this is really making me think long and hard about buying an Octavia.....

with the reputation that Skoda have I can't believe they aren't addressing the problem.

I have a Honda Accord at the moment - They have a problem with the exhaust manifold so Honda extended the warranty too 7 years/100,000 miles. The clutch is also weak so under Honda Happiness the price for a new one at a Honda dealer is £585 - expensive but still greatly subsidised..

Edited by Justa

If your worried, try to go for one that doesnt have ESP, I think it was an option not standard on the VRS. The Octy is still a great car, fantastic value for money and without ESP you have the peace of mind it wont have the MK60 problem as its a different ABS module.

I could be wrong about the option/standard though, if anyone could verify?

Edited by Rhoobarb

Don't the earlier cars have 'ASR' rather than 'ESP'? Mine does not have 'ESP' on the push button so I thought it would be OK from previous posts.

On older cars it was an option but I cant remember if it was standard kit for the VRS, Im pretty sure its standard now, but not sure about older ones.

Edited by Rhoobarb

Does anyone have actual figures for what percentage of Mk60 pumps fail in (say) the first six years?

My impression is that this component will fail, ie its a question of when rather than if, but is this correct?

On older cars it was an option but I cant remember if it was standard kit for the VRS, Im pretty sure its standard now, but not sure about older ones.

Pretty sure it's standard on all Mk2 vRSs, from reading other threads. Mine has it, and mine doesn't have many options.

It's certainly not to be ignored, but sites like this will always inevitably overstate the issue due to the fact that people who haven't suffered the failure will simply not post about it.

That said, I'm pretty sure I'll be extending my warranty when the 1yr is up.

Does anyone have actual figures for what percentage of Mk60 pumps fail in (say) the first six years?

My impression is that this component will fail, ie its a question of when rather than if, but is this correct?

I dont think there are any failure percentages yet, the cars that have this problem are only recently failing (seems to be around the 3-5 year mark), I would say you would have to wait a couple more years to see if any survive to get any figures. From the amount of people suffering this problem I would say its prudent to be prepared for the worst and be pleasantly surprised than hope for the best and be disappointed. I took a warranty cover out after reading the issue on here, 1 week later it went. I consider myself very lucky the information was on here.

All the garages I phoned round though said they were seeing a lot of this problem, in VW's mainly. Funnily enough the only ones who didnt know anything about it were the Skoda dealer themselves, funny that.

My other issue with this is has the fault been fixed yet? There is so much stonewalling and hush hush, noone seems to know. So mine went in for the recon rather than replacement. (2 year warranty - recon, 1 year warranty - new)

Other than that, brilliant cars :rofl:

Edited by Rhoobarb

When did the Mk 2 Octavia VRs, with ESP, arrive and is anyone on here with one of the early ones where the unit hasn't failed??

On a 55 plate I think. I have an 06 and I'm not going to attempt to answer that question for fear of tempting fate...

I dont think there are any failure percentages yet, the cars that have this problem are only recently failing (seems to be around the 3-5 year mark), I would say you would have to wait a couple more years to see if any survive to get any figures. From the amount of people suffering this problem I would say its prudent to be prepared for the worst and be pleasantly surprised than hope for the best and be disappointed. I took a warranty cover out after reading the issue on here, 1 week later it went. I consider myself very lucky the information was on here.

All the garages I phoned round though said they were seeing a lot of this problem, in VW's mainly. Funnily enough the only ones who didnt know anything about it were the Skoda dealer themselves, funny that.

My other issue with this is has the fault been fixed yet? There is so much stonewalling and hush hush, noone seems to know. So mine went in for the recon rather than replacement. (2 year warranty - recon, 1 year warranty - new)

Other than that, brilliant cars :rofl:

Interesting that your warranty allowed you to opt for the (3rd party?) recon rather than a direct replacement. Obviously it's advantageous for them from a pay-out point of view, but wasn't sure how a non-standard fix would sit with them.

Interesting that your warranty allowed you to opt for the (3rd party?) recon rather than a direct replacement. Obviously it's advantageous for them from a pay-out point of view, but wasn't sure how a non-standard fix would sit with them.

I think my garage had a lot to do with that, they understood my concerns about a new one just being a ticking bomb. The warranty seemed quite happy for the recon, not only the 2 year warranty, but also the costs. Perhaps they are seeing a lot of this and will bend to save the wallet. The only issue they wouldnt pay for was carriage of the unit and some of the labour costs. (Bit cheap considering Im sving them money) So Im looking at £50 excess, plus carriage and part of 2 hour labour costs. Still works out a hell of a lot cheaper.

Dont jinx me yet though, they still have to pay out yet. :p