Winters on steelies - to trim or not to trim?

Winter tyres just gone on today, bring on the snow :) .

Last year they were on my normal rims, now I've got some steelies for the winter. So the question is, leave them bare or cover them with wheel trims? I don't like the look of the cheap trims on ebay, and genuine Skoda trims seem rather expensive. So I'm leaning towards the bare option - but am a little concerned about all the crud I'll get on the nuts (especially the locking nut - should I get a set of non-locking nuts instead?) as I drive 40 miles across the Peak District every day to and from work.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

How about a bit of waxoyl on the bolt heads?

I'd leave them bare. That's what I'd have done, if I'd used steelies. As it was I got some OE alloys. I've fitted mine today too.

No trims.

As above, I'd probably just apply some protection to the heads. Depends what you've got - I'd use some Jetseal 109 on them probably. And I'd seal the whole of the steel wheel probably, if it was me - any grime will easily rinse off then :thumbup:

Steve

I'm like mgrolf; winters and steelies just on. My worry isn't the locking nuts but the open axle nut at the wheel centre. That will pick up plenty of winter crud so I'd like views on if I need to protect it. If so is that with? is there is a centre cap that protecs the axle nut? or must I go down the taccy wheel trim route. many thanks.

I think trims make the car look awfully base spec... And even more so if they are not OE Skoda ones. I will be fitting VW Caddy van centre caps to mine. The ones I link to there have the words Volkswagen written out so you can hardly see they don't say Skoda. But I have ordered these Skoda caps from eBay as well to stick to them if I feel the total black versions look too sinister. But the look I'm after is like these:

vwtiguansilverwheels.jpg

winterwheelssilver.jpg

But alas Skoda refuses to get me the silver VW wheels so I will be supplied with black Skoda ones. So it might end up looking more like this:

blackblack1.jpg

blackblack2.jpg

That looks FAR neater than just keeping them bare. And these centre caps are no more than £20 for a set of 4 on eBay.

But one day I will paint the wheels silver for sure as I prefer the look of the ones at the top. But until then my Yeti will look something like this.

I tried non-OEM trims. They looked awful!

The problem is that as they're generic and need to fit on as many wheel types as possible, they bulge out from the rim to ensure they don't foul on any bolt configurations, this helps them look rubbish.....

wt.jpg

I've sent them back to the seller for a refund.

OEM trims are, IMHO, the only way to go if that's what you want.

Like Johann I'm going to try VW van half caps to protect the bolts and hubs. I got these from eBAy for £8 inc postage:

vwcaps.jpg

They should be with me today or tomorrow. Will endeavour to post pictures once fitted for congratulations/condemnation!!

Niall

They should be with me today or tomorrow. Will endeavour to post pictures once fitted for congratulations/condemnation!!

Fantastic Niall! You will be able to do it before me since I don't have my car yet. Only getting it in a week or so.

Indeed. Having spent enough on new wheels and tyres, I just went for something cheap that would protect the wheel hubs and nuts and as you say, get rid of the nicked wheels/4 punctures/van driver look! After all, they're only on for a few months each year and missus can kerb them all she likes, not all that bothered for the workhorse really... It's not like they're alloys anyway, so can't get excited! If it was a vRS of course I might get some genuine Skoda ones, they do look nice...

Edited by MarkSk0da

I'm very curious to see if the T5 caps will fit over the security bolt... If not they just need a very small modification I'm sure.

Arrived today. Fit fine over the security bolt with no modification. Easily fitted and looking much better for it in my opinion (not bad for £8!). A bit too dark to show you so will take a snap tomorrow.

I won't be bothering with trying to put Skoda stickers on them though - stealth black looks fine to me.

Niall

Arrived today. Fit fine over the security bolt with no modification. Easily fitted and looking much better for it in my opinion (not bad for £8!). A bit too dark to show you so will take a snap tomorrow.

I won't be bothering with trying to put Skoda stickers on them though - stealth black looks fine to me.

Niall

Ace, ace! That made my day! Well apart from my dealer calling to say my car can be picked up on Tuesday after a SEVEN MONTH wait!

Niall

Niall

I confess I've never used ebay!

Can you tell me how you found these "half caps"? and were they a one-off or are there any others like them for sale?

They look ideal for the 15" steel wheels I've just bought.

Thanks

Dill

Niall

I confess I've never used ebay!

Can you tell me how you found these "half caps"? and were they a one-off or are there any others like them for sale?

They look ideal for the 15" steel wheels I've just bought.

Thanks

Dill

Just search on eBay for "VW T5 Centre Caps".

Eughhhh.......

w1.jpg

Hmmm?........

w2.jpg

Ahhhh, much better!!

w3.jpg

Just the job. Have blended in really well once everything is tinted "road grit grey"!!

Yes, I know the tyre looks flat in the pictures, it isn't, pressures are bang on (2.2 Bar).

Niall

Edited by Niall

Regarding pressures I found the following when I was doing my winter tyre research... Would be interesting to find out what Skoda recommend, but I can certainly see the sense in increasing the pressures slightly to compensate for the lower temps. Additionally, I noticed that the tyres are noticeable 'squidgy' if you prod the sidewall with a finger, unlike their summer counterparts - evidence of the different compound rubber at work!

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=168&currentpage=120

General rule from googling seems to be +1psi/10 degrees - which for the UK is only about +1 - 2 psi then... (as the above thread appears to be for extreme temps)

Edited by MarkSk0da