Winters on steelies - to trim or not to trim?

Just the job. Have blended in really well once everything is tinted "road grit grey"!!

Yes, I know the tyre looks flat in the pictures, it isn't, pressures are bang on (2.2 Bar).

Niall

Niall now that looks much, much better. Interesting though that they look blueish and not totally black! They do match your Scout's colout though and gives some contrast at least. emoticon-0148-yes.gifemoticon-0148-yes.gif

Yep, having had them on for a weekend I'm definatley pleased with the look, "steelies fitted for a reason" not because of four punctures!.....

The grey tinge is disappearing as it all gets liberal coatings of road residue.

Think they might technically be caps from a Caddy rather than a Transporter, but I'm sure they're all the same.

Having seen the weather reports for the second half of the week looks the Briskoda winter tyre collective will get to see what a difference they can make. No doubt you're pleased as punch at the Yeti arriving in the nick of time!!

Niall

Yep, having had them on for a weekend I'm definatley pleased with the look, "steelies fitted for a reason" not because of four punctures!.....

The grey tinge is disappearing as it all gets liberal coatings of road residue.

Think they might technically be caps from a Caddy rather than a Transporter, but I'm sure they're all the same.

Having seen the weather reports for the second half of the week looks the Briskoda winter tyre collective will get to see what a difference they can make. No doubt you're pleased as punch at the Yeti arriving in the nick of time!!

Niall

Aye... sorry I should have been clearer. The ones you and I have that has VOLKSWAGEN written out are from a VW Caddy. The ones that look just the same but with a VW badge in the centre are from a T5. You also get some very shiny gloss black Caddy ones as well (see the attached picture) that show the five bolts.

I can't wait for the car. Snow even predicted for London on Thursday. But alas. Dealer still trying to find me some winter tyres which might be tricky in London! Grrr. So might pick up the car but will not have the winter wheels yet. I will know come Wednesday.

post-55900-12904315396147_thumb.jpg

Eughhhh.......

Ahhhh, much better!!

w3.jpg

Just the job. Have blended in really well once everything is tinted "road grit grey"!!

Yes, I know the tyre looks flat in the pictures, it isn't, pressures are bang on (2.2 Bar).

Niall

Sorry but that looks dangerous to me. Are you doing it when stone cold and if so then I'd suggest putting in a couple of PSI extra to see if it improves things.

I only say this, because they look like the sidewall is folding rather than just flat.

FWIW I run winters with XL sidewalls.

do the steel wheels need different bolts to those used for the alloys?

Nope. That is the beauty of using OE Skoda steel wheels. They use the same 4 normal bolts and one security bolt (if you have them).

Nope. That is the beauty of using OE Skoda steel wheels. They use the same 4 normal bolts and one security bolt (if you have them).

Good news - thanks 900000. That certainly wasn't the case with the Fords I've had previously B)

I only say this, because they look like the sidewall is folding rather than just flat.

I think my 'excellent' (ahem....) phone camera makes it look worse than it actually is, in the same way that the steel wheel doesn't actually have a white 'smile' on it.

Niall

Is that a definate? I always thought you would have to use standard 'steel' wheel nuts on a steel wheel as the alloy type are softer?! :S

Ref tyre pressures for winter tyres, when I bought my tyres in Germany the garage (Hammerling) placed the correct TP as +0.2 bar on top of normal TPs.

Thats what I have done for years on mine with no dramas. Hope this helps.

Can I just confirm that a T5 VW Transporter wheel will fit a mk2 Octavia?

Pagey: wheel or centre cap? The centre cap fits due to both having 5x112 studs. The wheels? Why that is a whole different kettle of fish with offsets and widths and what not to check. AND would your insurance be happy in an accident finding VW van wheels on your car? That is why I kept things simple and ordered Skoda winter wheels from my dealer with the car.

AND would your insurance be happy in an accident finding VW van wheels on your car? That is why I kept things simple and ordered Skoda winter wheels from my dealer with the car.

I don't think its as difficult as that. Do the wheels have a PCD of 112, an ET of 50 and are made by VAG? If so they will be the same.

My steelies came off a Mk2 Leon, are generically VAG Group branded and share the same part no. as if they were Skoda,VW or Audi. Was able to match the part no. against the description in the eBay listing for the VW centre caps for example, to be sure they would fit.

The offset (ET) and Stud Diameter (PCD) are stamped on the outer face of the wheels around the hub centre, so should be easy enough to check either yourself or by the seller if buying online.

As long as they are VAG group OEM equipment I don't think it matters if they originally came from a VW rather than a Skoda (it is the same part). The benefit of mass part sharing across a large automotive group to retain economies of scale!

Niall

I don't think its as difficult as that. Do the wheels have a PCD of 112, an ET of 50 and are made by VAG? If so they will be the same.

My steelies came off a Mk2 Leon, are generically VAG Group branded and share the same part no. as if they were Skoda,VW or Audi. Was able to match the part no. against the description in the eBay listing for the VW centre caps for example, to be sure they would fit.

The offset (ET) and Stud Diameter (PCD) are stamped on the outer face of the wheels around the hub centre, so should be easy enough to check either yourself or by the seller if buying online.

As long as they are VAG group OEM equipment I don't think it matters if they originally came from a VW rather than a Skoda (it is the same part). The benefit of mass part sharing across a large automotive group to retain economies of scale!

Niall

I've had confirmation that the T5 won't fit as they are 5x120, however the same seller can do me a set of T4 wheels which are 5x112 for 30 sheets. As they are van wheels, they will come with van tyres, which will be ditched in favour of car snow tyres so I can't see the problem, apart from the fact they are 15", so not 100% they will fit over the front brakes :S

Alternatively I have found a set of 16" 'spare' wheels oringinally from a Superb which are Part number 3B0601027F/G size 7JX16H2 ET37.

Regarding the insurance I will be disclosing the change, I would be surprised if they increase the premium baring in mind adding steelies with snow tyres will be make the car a lot safer and certainly less desirable to the thieving little urchins out there. :giggle:

Edited by Pagey1255

Looking good!

Don't think they need the Skoda badges stuck on though.

Niall

Thanks. I like the look too. As to the badges I went a bit mad on eBay and have another set of hubcaps too (and 2 sets of black and silver Felicia sets that I later discovered has four nuts and not five and thus useless! doh Though they have the Skoda badges moulded in of course). So I now have some of the ones in the attached as well - with the five visible "nuts" from a Caddy. I think to them I might fit the Skoda badges as an "experiment"! And then my Yeti can have a left look and a right look, or just a first half of winter and a second half of winter look.

post-55900-12911948730455_thumb.jpg

As I stated above I went a bit overboard with centre cap buying so got these now too! Their part number is 2K0 601 169. They DO have a VW badge but I think they are the ones I'm going to experiment with to stick the Skoda badges on:

imgp3944b.jpg

And on the car:

imgp3957x.jpg

imgp3951.jpg

Edited by 900000

Right-got my steelies at last. Now, a question that has been wrecking my head for a couple of weeks-black or silver? I can spray them quite easily (tyres not on yet!) & I have VW T5 centre caps to go on. Car is Anthracite-what does everyone think? I was fairly keen on black, but now I'm not so sure..... :wall::giggle:

Right-got my steelies at last. Now, a question that has been wrecking my head for a couple of weeks-black or silver? I can spray them quite easily (tyres not on yet!) & I have VW T5 centre caps to go on. Car is Anthracite-what does everyone think? I was fairly keen on black, but now I'm not so sure..... emoticon-0179-headbang.gifemoticon-0136-giggle.gif

I got my black ones with the car with tyres on so did not have the chance to paint them silver. On anything but a white car black wheels looks weird in my book. I'm ok with how my car looks now but would prefer silver - so before next winter I will have them done in silver. You can see above what my car looks like and see the attached of what it could look like with silver wheels and VW trim caps (on other cars of course but you'll get the picture!).

post-55900-12918921212313_thumb.jpg

post-55900-12918921442343_thumb.jpg

post-55900-12918922287306_thumb.jpg

Edited by 900000

I'm quite liking black with the T5 caps. Probably helps having the Scout cladding though.

bh1.jpg

As your cars is a dark colour I think black would be the way to go. Maybe going for silver if your vRS was Candy White or another "light" colour.

Niall

Edited by Niall

I decided

Very nice. Looks way better than base spec full hubcaps would have looked!

How did you stick the badges? I'm still to do that.