DRL LEDs

philpix

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will need to be Canbus compliant or you will get a warning stating a bulb failure. I was unable to find any that where a decent wattage so I would have needed to mess about with resistors. I tested this first by popping a bulb out.

For this reason I have just fitted a pair of MTEC P21W Super Bright bulbs (same wattage as standard) along with matching colour Fogs & High beam bulbs, they all are very similar the way the HID's look now.

I am very happy with the look, IMHO they have completly modernised the look and they kind of suit my bright silver paint real well too.

Edited by Tankdave

For this reason I have just fitted a pair of MTEC P21W Super Bright bulbs (same wattage as standard) along with matching colour Fogs & High beam bulbs, they all are very similar the way the HID's look now.

I am very happy with the look, IMHO they have completly modernised the look and they kind of suit my bright silver paint real well too.

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

Yes I know, I should have taken one after changing just the one side, but I done them at work. If I get some time I'll have a go at a pic.

PS. I have not changed the sidelights yet as they wont budge. (I have another thread on this)

Did you go for the chromed or blue bulbs?

I did a google search and found a couple of photo's fitted to a couple of TT's, the blue ones gave off too much of a blue halo for my liking, so I have ordered a set of the chrome ones.

I too was looking to fit LED DRL's but these are an easier solution to getting a pure white DRL, without the hassle that the LED's would of given me (regarding the bulb errors)

My thanks to Tankdave for his advice.

I ordered from HIDs Direct. Great service.

Phil

Have you a link for the bulbs you have used?

(This seems to be going round in circles :giggle: )

My thanks to Tankdave for his advice.

I ordered from HIDs Direct. Great service.

Phil

Phil,

I assume it is these you are referring to?

MTEC 382 P21w S25 (1156) Super White Xenon bulbs

If so is the blue of the bulb glass visible through the lamp housing when the bulb is off?

Best regards

David

Edited by cookdn

If so is the blue of the bulb glass visible through the lamp housing when the bulb is off?

I imagine you will be able to as they are quite blue.

A few photo's i found on google before I bought mine:

OE bulb left and the (blue) MTEC 382 P21w S25 (1156) Super White Xenon bulbs in the right - you can see a blue tint to the light, this was something I did not want:

drl-after-03.jpg

OE bulb:

P1050004copy.jpg

Chromed bulb MTEC XENON SUPER WHITE (Chrome Style) NATURAL GLASS 382 P21w 12v Bulbs (this is what I bought) much whiter and the benefit of having no blue colour to the bulb when the DRL's are off.

P1050067copy.jpg

They are the blue glass ones I have fitted and I prefer the blue tint, so it's horses for courses.

The DRL's are only off at night, and set well back into the lamp fitting, so you can't really see bulb, it's not in the headlamp cluster like that TT.

They are the blue glass ones I have fitted and I prefer the blue tint, so it's horses for courses.

Fully agree :thumbup:.

For me I was looking for a pure white (LED whiteness) bulb, some like the blue tint others don't.

I imagine you will be able to as they are quite blue.

Chromed bulb MTEC XENON SUPER WHITE (Chrome Style) NATURAL GLASS 382 P21w 12v Bulbs (this is what I bought) much whiter and the benefit of having no blue colour to the bulb when the DRL's are off.

That looks to be a better option than the blue bulbs that my Google search uncovered, thanks for that. :)

I haven't got my car yet (still sat at Rainworth Skoda) but from memory the standard Superb DRLs were quite yellow. As I have had company cars for 10+ years they are normally left as standard, however this is a small change I'll probably make. I guess that getting access to the bulb in the fog light housing is straight forward?

Best regards

David

Phil,

I assume it is these you are referring to?

MTEC 382 P21w S25 (1156) Super White Xenon bulbs

Best regards

David

Yes David they are for the DRLs

I also went for MTEC 12V 55W Super White Xenon H8 35w for the fog lights about 9 quid the pair.

Phil.

Fog lamp removal is a doddle. it's all in the manual so don't worry

Yes David they are for the DRLs

I also went for MTEC 12V 55W Super White Xenon H8 35w for the fog lights about 9 quid the pair.

Phil.

Thanks guys. I'm going to order a pair of the natural chrome style (http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-mini-auto-bulbs/382-p21w-xenon-bulbs/mtec-xenon-super-white-chrome-style-natural-glass-382-p21w-12v-p-377.html) tommorow.

Lets see what I get first, the bulbs or the car. :) (I suspect the former).

Best regards

David