Sourcing winter tyres

scottish

Hi

Wanting to buy Nokian WRG2 winter tyres for forethcoming yeti but am having difficulty finding anyone in this country able to source them.Has anyone else had this problem or can anyone offer info on where i might be able to get them??.I realise that there are a few sites online which offer them but there would also appear to be as many horror stories surrounding these companies and delivery/payment of the goods etc.Has anyone had dealings with anyone specific (Good or bad).

Thanks in anticipation.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no issues with Mytyres at all, however whoever you choose you are going to struggle now as you have really left it too late to buy winter tyres as they will be in short supply, and when you do find them you will be paying up to twice the amount you could of bought them for, this is partly because they will predominately be going to countries that have to fit them (by law) and the UK's unwillingness to do anything until they 'have to'.

Doesn't really help your situation I know, but TBH you will probably find there is little choice in where to buy them, more a case of who has any left.

I have used both:

www.mytyres.co.uk

and

www.camskill.co.uk

I bought my set of Falken winters for the Yeti from Mytyres about a month ago and delivery took about 4 working days. Absolutely no problems - although a couple of others on here have found the opposite. I then went on to buy a set of Hankook winters for my wife's Roomster from Camskill and they took 2 days - again no problems.

The only reason for switching from Mytyres was because they were more expensive for the Roomster sized tyres. I think that both firms sell the Nokians but supply depends on timing and the size needed.

Sorry Gizmo68, Mytyres do have Nokian 16" and 17" winters in stock right now - I've just checked!

Edited by Trevorminor

Hi,

I bought my G2's from mytyres My link the week leading up to Christmas last, arrived at my door 2 days later from Germany. Very pleased with the servie from my experience, although I'm sure with a forum such as this you will also get the negatives regard this company.

Regards,

TP

I had major problems with Mytyres, Three rims and tyres were delivered in 4 days, the fourth went missing. The Unidirectional tyres were all fitted in the same orientation, not something one would expect from experienced fitters. They are a pain to deal with if anything goes wrong. Just buying tyres from them would at least be safer.

I used www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk to source 4 Dunlop WinterSports and they were fine - everything arrived within a few days, tracked online via DHL.  I've just looked and they appear to have Nokians in stock at the moment.

I used www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk to source 4 Dunlop WinterSports and they were fine - everything arrived within a few days, tracked online via DHL.  I've just looked and they appear to have Nokians in stock at the moment.

I got mine locally from http://www.tyremen.co.uk they also deliver. I got a set of Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme for about £120 a corner. On the note of insurance for a different set of wheels (Audi), I rang Skoda insurance, who spoke to the underwriters and they said no problem, at no extra cost :)

In the UK I went to Kwick-Fit to get winter tyres for our Toyota Yaris but they only do 16 inch wheel size for the Yeti:

Marangoni Meteo HP 215/60H16 @ £76.80 a corner.

I found the whole experience at kwick-Fit to be very good :rofl:

and only went there when Mytyres refused to take my order unless I did a bank transfer payment? :bandit:

I had major problems with Mytyres...The Unidirectional tyres were all fitted in the same orientation

According to post #20 on this thread, the Nokians are not unidirectional so mytyres cannot make this mistake. They are, however, asymmetic, so they could fit them the wrong way round, though IMO it would take a fair bit of stupidity to do so.

Good to hear that mytyres had the Nokians in stock this weekend as I ordered a set on Saturday!

According to post #20 on this thread, the Nokians are not unidirectional so mytyres cannot make this mistake. They are, however, asymmetic, so they could fit them the wrong way round, though IMO it would take a fair bit of stupidity to do so.

Good to hear that mytyres had the Nokians in stock this weekend as I ordered a set on Saturday!

Got my Avon Ice Tourings from my local independant supplier Stewartry Tyres (Castle Douglas SW Scotland)205/55 r16 for £80 each fitted etc which I thought a pretty good price. The Nokians were the same but he told me he may find them difficult to source. Ordered for me and arrived within a few days. He said they have done more winter tyres this season than ever before. SW Scotland climate is pretty tame but very very wet.

They are a local company who do a lot of agricultural, forestry and HGV tyres and are always pretty good on price. What I am trying to say is do not dismiss your local, back street tyre place they are normally pretty good.

Edited by loskie

I was not making a point about the Nokians, just Mytyres service, or the lack of it my case. I got Conti wintercontacts as they have better objective comparative reviews than the Nokians and the price at the time was lower.

Cheers,

JP

Edited by jeep

Hi

It may (or may not) be a local problem but 205/55/R16 winter tyres for the Yeti by Dunlop and Continental are already out of stock at the wholesale level with no more expected until January according to Britannia tyres, a pretty big and successful tyre fitting business with a branch in Bristol. Goodyear and Michelin can still be ordered for quick delivery. (Non of these were available "off the shelf" even though their stock is large.)

So if you want winter tyres now the magic word "snow" has been mentioned, don't hang about!

Supplementary comment:

The Britannia tyres price including valve, nitrogen fill, balancing and fitting wasn't much more than buying on line by the way, and quite a bit cheaper than just turning up at the local branch of KwikFit, though the latter's on-line ordering does offer competive prices.

Britannia Tyres are in Bristol, Coventry, Derby, Hinkley and Nuneaton and I assume major competitors will be similarly priced. (I have no connection with them other than as a satisfied customer over many years for my own and family cars.)

Fred

Just had 5 Vreidstein Quatrac 3 205/60/15 All Season put on my DSG Octy Estate. Think my local tyre men got them from my tyres not sure if they do them in sizes for Yeti. Delivered in less than a week from Germany. Look chunky and drove fine down to London and back yesterday on dry motorwaybe interesting to see how they go on over the winter and hopefully a good compromise on two sets @ £80 each fitted. M&S rated and good for my annual business trip to Southern Germany in January. Should outlast the car till chanege time (done 85000) test driving a DSG diesel YETI on Saturday and might have on around June time!

Edited by Maffa

My how things change in a week or so!

I'm hoping to take delivery of my Yeti around Christmas, scheduled for wk 49 build, so though I ought to start looking around for some winter tyres. All I want to do a straight swop on the OE fit of 225/50 17.

I was aiming to get Vredestein's Wintrac Extreme but I spent Thursday and Friday searching the internet and ringing various suppliers and got told 'Winter Tyres, sorry Guv; it'll be January at the earliest before we get any more of any winter tyres'. Rare as Rocking Horse poo!!

I did see that mytyres.co.uk had the Wintrac Extremes listed but no 'in stock' or 'out of stock' tag on the listing; so I rang them. I had some trepidation as I had seem mixed response about them on here. Got the Indian call centre who said, yes we have that tyre/size; hmm I suggested I'd heard there weren't any anywhere; oh we have them in stock in Germany; OK I'll think about it. Overall, I was not sure so even though they were my preferred tyre I decided to keep looking.

Going around the houses on google I came across pneus-online.co.uk. Started searching for stock and found they had Hankook IceBear W300 (like the name). Tried to ring them but got the answerphone with a Dutch accent; checked the website further, seems the closed mid afternoon UK time (lunch on the continent, very chic?); looked at the website further, French Company, Dutch connections so thought, can't spend all day on this, so took the plunge and started to order. All went through sweetly and within a few minutes order and payment was confirmed by e-mail.

4 x Hankook IceBear W300 in 225/70 17 @ £126.00 each. PS> Just had a look to check the price (which didn't show) and all they now have listed are either Maxxis or Rockstone; seem like I got in in the nick of time!

Edited by bahnstormer vrs

I did see that mytyres.co.uk had the Wintrac Extremes listed but no 'in stock' or 'out of stock' tag on the listing; so I rang them. I had some trepidation as I had seem mixed response about them on here. Got the Indian call centre who said, yes we have that tyre/size; hmm I suggested I'd heard there weren't any anywhere; oh we have them in stock in Germany; OK I'll think about it. Overall, I was not sure so even though they were my preferred tyre I decided to keep looking.

Mytyres contact number and warehouse are in Hanover. I ordered Nokian eNTYREs for the Yeti last Sunday and they are currently in the DPD warehouse in Oldbury, so should arrive at the fitters in Newbury in a day or two. They are listing quite a few winter and all-season tyres in Yeti sizes. Given they are not currently listing the Dunlop SP Sport 01 for my XF (there is a worldwide shortage of them and I was lucky to get one from Event Tyres following a puncture) I would tend to believe their website is a good indication of what they can supply.

Note that DPD status only seems to be updated when inbound to a depot - I was getting worried when there was nothing for a couple of days since arriving at the consolidation depot in Germany, then they suddenly appeared in Oldbury last night.

Mark

Edited by mbrock

Hi

My winter wheels have arrived at the Skoda dealer (only 17 of Skoda 16 inch 7J ET45 steels in the country when I ordered 4 last week apparently) and my cold weather tyres (Michelin Alpin A4 205/55 16R 91T) are at the tyre dealer to be united on Friday. Both appear to be in short supply.

All I need now is a Yeti to put them on.

Continental, Dunlop, Goodyear, and Bridgestone were all "January delivery mate", so just as well I liked the idea of the Michelins being biased towards cold wet, slush and ice rather than deep snow, because normally we don't get deep snow, but we do get a lot of the others in the Bristol area.

(I had to travel nearly 3 miles to senior school in the winter of 1963 so I have come across persistent snow. My sympathy to the northern clans )

Fred (cold but not snowed in - yet)

Hi

My winter wheels have arrived at the Skoda dealer (only 17 of Skoda 16 inch 7J ET45 steels in the country when I ordered 4 last week apparently) and my cold weather tyres (Michelin Alpin A4 205/55 16R 91T) are at the tyre dealer to be united on Friday. Both appear to be in short supply.

All I need now is a Yeti to put them on.

Continental, Dunlop, Goodyear, and Bridgestone were all "January delivery mate", so just as well I liked the idea of the Michelins being biased towards cold wet, slush and ice rather than deep snow, because normally we don't get deep snow, but we do get a lot of the others in the Bristol area.

(I had to travel nearly 3 miles to senior school in the winter of 1963 so I have come across persistent snow. My sympathy to the northern clans )

Fred (cold but not snowed in - yet)

Fred, I know the cost has been mentioned in previous threads but would you confirm please how much the steelies were? I was thinking of going this route for next year (SM not arriving until Feb/March) but was considering a cheap set of alloys as I thought by the time I added in the Rif wheel covers for the steelies that it was pretty close to alloys cost wise. But, it seems that some may be getting the steelies cheaper than I expected which may alter my thinking.

Going around the houses on google I came across pneus-online.co.uk. Started searching for stock and found they had Hankook IceBear W300 (like the name). Tried to ring them but got the answerphone with a Dutch accent; checked the website further, seems the closed mid afternoon UK time (lunch on the continent, very chic?); looked at the website further, French Company, Dutch connections so thought, can't spend all day on this, so took the plunge and started to order. All went through sweetly and within a few minutes order and payment was confirmed by e-mail.

4 x Hankook IceBear W300 in 225/70 17 @ £126.00 each. PS> Just had a look to check the price (which didn't show) and all they now have listed are either Maxxis or Rockstone; seem like I got in in the nick of time!

I spoke too soon!

Got an e-mail from pneus-onlin.co.uk this morning "sorry; your tyres are out of stock! Please select an alternative or we will give you a refund". Argh! :swear:

Had a look at their availability only had cheap Nankangs and top price Continentals; not for me.

..... went around the sites again and found that mytyres.co.uk still had Vredestein Wintrac Extremes available for £3 more expensive than when I'd checked on Thurs/Friday (but some other winter tyres were actually cheaper). Dived in and ordered.

Phoned them this afternoon and confirmed "yes, Sir, we have your order" and "yes, Sir, we have 20 of those tyres in stock". I was told to expect an email when my order has been processed and the tyres dispatched. Here's hoping; fingers crossed.

Vredestein Wintrac Extremes available for £3 more expensive than when I'd checked on Thurs/Friday (but some other winter tyres were actually cheaper). Dived in and ordered.

You won't be disappointed - I've been driving round in mine for 24hours trying hard to get some slippage, and we have tons of snow in East Yorks, but they seem to stick tightly to the road. On an empty slush/ice road, I was very impressed with how quickly the Yeti and Vredesteins stopped in a smooth and controlled manner!!

:)

How to make a Yeti driver smile more - got to work with no issues only to hear of 100 other staff tell their tales of sorrow!!!!