Calling all Bolero owners

Just fitted a Bolero in my 2007MY Octy vRS, just interested to know people's views on the brightness of the LCD screen? I have mine set to 'brightest' (and running through the settings I can see it is changing from darkest etc) but even in todays inadequate light its quite hard to see unless you look at it head on, is this right, or have I got a faulty screen? Also does the screen darken at night when headlights are put on?

Cheers, Lee.

Edited by Pagey1255

IIRC mine is set to dark (might be medium) and unless the sun is shining directly on it I don't have a problem seeing the screen, however, if the sun is shining on the the screen it doesn't matter what setting the screen is on, I can't see it...

I know it's difficult to tell with a photo, but that does pretty dim if it's on the brightest setting, sure mine gets brighter than that...

Just been out and checked now its dark, and it seems acceptable at night, one thing I noticed, it seemed to brighten up slightly over a few minutes similar to how xenons charge. Probably just me................... :smirk:

Edited by Pagey1255

Quick update, spoke to the stealers today who think it is a fault with the HU, then about an hour later they phoned me back after discussing it with colleagues one of which has come across the problem before when retro fitting Bolero or Columbus units into older cars!!!!!!!

Looks like I will be reinstalling the Stream................. :'(

Further update -

Bear with me on this because it confused me when it happened, right, went out to the car yesterday evening to check it started (its been sat in this bl00dy snow for 3 days) which it did! The first thing I noticed was that the Bolero display looked much brighter. Anyway I've had a play and have figured out the following:

If you turn on the HU before starting the car and wait for the 'welcome on board message' to come and go (which is dim by the way).

Then turn on the ignition, at this point the HU turns off, once the car has started, press the on/off switch on the HU, when it comes on the display is bright!!!

further more, I have noticed that if I turn on the headlights the screen will then automatically dim, presumably in to 'night mode'...........................

Could this weirdness suggest a technical fault?

Anwsers on a post card! :thumbup:

Further update -

Bear with me on this because it confused me when it happened, right, went out to the car yesterday evening to check it started (its been sat in this bl00dy snow for 3 days) which it did! The first thing I noticed was that the Bolero display looked much brighter. Anyway I've had a play and have figured out the following:

If you turn on the HU before starting the car and wait for the 'welcome on board message' to come and go (which is dim by the way).

Then turn on the ignition, at this point the HU turns off, once the car has started, press the on/off switch on the HU, when it comes on the display is bright!!!

further more, I have noticed that if I turn on the headlights the screen will then automatically dim, presumably in to 'night mode'...........................

Could this weirdness suggest a technical fault?

Anwsers on a post card! :thumbup:

And the weirdness continues!!!!!!!!!!! Started the car this morning using the 'new' method, perfect display, tried it 5 minutes later and several times over the last couple of hours, and the 'new' method doesn't work anymore..........I pulling my hair out on this, some help or advice would be very much apprecisted! :S

And the weirdness continues!!!!!!!!!!! Started the car this morning using the 'new' method, perfect display, tried it 5 minutes later and several times over the last couple of hours, and the 'new' method doesn't work anymore..........I pulling my hair out on this, some help or advice would be very much apprecisted! :S

I've retro fitted as you did and I've noticed mine is dim during bright sunlight. I've tried your method and mine stays OK and is acceptably bright at night. Not sure you've got a faulty HU it's probably just how it is. I had a Superb Estate last week and that was the same.

I've retro fitted as you did and I've noticed mine is dim during bright sunlight. I've tried your method and mine stays OK and is acceptably bright at night. Not sure you've got a faulty HU it's probably just how it is. I had a Superb Estate last week and that was the same.

Same in mine :smirk:

Same in mine :smirk:

Thanks guys, out of interest what age's are your cars? Mine is a 2007MY, but I had to upgrade the gateway. :thumbup:

Thanks guys, out of interest what age's are your cars? Mine is a 2007MY, but I had to upgrade the gateway. :thumbup:

Mine is an MY08 and has the newer CanGateway

Changed the Parking controller and ran 2 can wires to the gateway to get parking display though

That is a bit strange. Only thing that springs to mind is the communication between a newer CAN gateway, the Bolero and the rest of the vehicle's electrical systems? As if the communication to the Bolero through the upgraded gateway isn't being interpreted properly and resulting in the wrong level of brightness being set. I've no backing to that logic, just thinking aloud really.

I put one in my MY06 vRS TFSi when I had it and needed to do nothing with the gateway. Will see if I've got an old VCDS log from that and check the gateway revision. I never noticed any issue with the screen brightness at all. Initial reactions to your symptoms I'd say a faulty backlight on the unit, but then your discoveries with alternative starting and fiddling about perhaps make me think otherwise...

Steve

Cheers, on a 58 you wouldn't need to, vRSCarl has a 57 reg and his had the revision 'K' gateway which is ok! So are you saying after the upgrade you found the display dim?

No simply that after I retro fitted as you did I noticed mine is dim during bright sunlight but no problem really and that the Superb Estate I had last week was the same - dim in bright sunlight but ok otherwise.

That is a bit strange. Only thing that springs to mind is the communication between a newer CAN gateway, the Bolero and the rest of the vehicle's electrical systems? As if the communication to the Bolero through the upgraded gateway isn't being interpreted properly and resulting in the wrong level of brightness being set. I've no backing to that logic, just thinking aloud really.

I put one in my MY06 vRS TFSi when I had it and needed to do nothing with the gateway. Will see if I've got an old VCDS log from that and check the gateway revision. I never noticed any issue with the screen brightness at all. Initial reactions to your symptoms I'd say a faulty backlight on the unit, but then your discoveries with alternative starting and fiddling about perhaps make me think otherwise...

Steve

Thanks for that Steve,

I've tested the unit in another car and its fine, so it must be an issue with my gateway/electrics, anyway I'm fed up with the hassle and the fact that function wise it does know more than my Stream, no climatronic display etc, so it's on ebay now!

Edited by Pagey1255

• 2 weeks later...

Will let you know how it gets on in mine :D

Which version of the gateway are you running again?

Don't say that, I'm really worried now............ :doh:

My original gateway was a revision 'H' but I changed to an 'AD' after I swatted up on the battery drain issues!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a bit of an update to the general thread...

I fitted the Bolero today - plugged in and working fine. Can't say I've noticed the same dimness issue that Pagey mentioned, but I'll know in time. I like the display to be quite toned down anyway, so it's not distracting on the move. But I was able to set things up and browse about with no issues. Also, as my car's not going anywhere at the moment I've not yet been able to test it 'on the move'.

On the gateway issues, I noticed my existing one is a Rev E (mistakenly thought it was D, mainly as I was looking at the wrong section of the VCDS log! :dull:). I've got a K sat here on standby. But in the interests of Briskoda science I've left it plugged in with the original Rev E for now. So I'll report back tomorrow! Seemed worth ago, especially as at the moment the car's not going to move anywhere - battery drain or no battery drain :p

Cheers,

Steve

Just as a bit of general info

I know this thread is old(ish) but this is how my bolero looks set at medium light

MY2011 vrs octy

31AFB598BEC3489CA06975BEAC3A6C00-0000326183-0001968208-00800L-1598FB4D38364E04B5563F83937C76A5.jpg

Not old - useful info :thumbup:

Hopefully this can be used by people as a resource in the future, to save re-inventing the wheel. IF they can find the thread again of course ;)

Only issue I can see of people posting up photos of their units on different levels of brightness, is the time of day and camera/camera settings used. We unfortunately won't get a uniform picture of things.

Cheers,

Steve

Only issue I can see of people posting up photos of their units on different levels of brightness, is the time of day and camera/camera settings used. We unfortunately won't get a uniform picture of things.

Cheers,

Steve

Nikon D60

Middle of day

No Flash emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Edited by vectra1