Wheel Covers (hub caps) for 16 inch Steel Wheels

Fred_Bristol

Hi

Any makes and styles recommended?

Will any cover intended for a 16 inch rim fit or is there more to it than that?

(Have winter tyres on Skoda 7J 16 inch steel wheels but no covers as yet.)

Fred

Edited by Fred_Bristol

Hi

Any makes and styles recommended?

Will any cover intended for a 16 inch rim fit or is there more to it than that?

(Have winter tyres on Skoda 7J 16 inch steel wheels but no covers as yet.)

Fred

Check out ebay, I got a set of 16" trims here for my winters for about £20, and no tears if a pot hole claims one. I didn't bother with the badges as I'm not into logo soup.

Having today fitted my steel wheels and winter tyres, I think the bare steel wheels look as if they are there for a reason and most people will be correct that they are there for the winter. My wheels happen to be silver rather than black but I would have been happy to leave either colour exposed. Quite often trims look the plastic things that they are!

Having today fitted my steel wheels and winter tyres, I think the bare steel wheels look as if they are there for a reason and most people will be correct that they are there for the winter. My wheels happen to be silver rather than black but I would have been happy to leave either colour exposed. Quite often trims look the plastic things that they are!

Completely agree with that - exposed steelies the way to go. Aftermarket wheel-trims look awful, and the ones fitted to the 'E' look fairly rubbish too!

I think these small ones just tidies things up, cost nearly nothing (from eBay) and protects the bolts and hub from crud. You still see the steel wheels and it does not look as if you had four punctures and are driving around on spare wheels! But wheel trims?! Never in a million years will I fit full wheel trims. They look terrible.

post-55900-12912071807915_thumb.jpg

Looks great Johann...shame I can't find any wheels for the A2 at the moment but at least the 185's are a decent profile for driving in the snow and never let me down last winter (touch wood) - the 205's on Marie's are supposed to be rubbish though.

p.s. don't know if you've seen but your A2 has appeared on P/H... :o

Looks great Johann...shame I can't find any wheels for the A2 at the moment but at least the 185's are a decent profile for driving in the snow and never let me down last winter (touch wood) - the 205's on Marie's are supposed to be rubbish though.

p.s. don't know if you've seen but your A2 has appeared on P/H... emoticon-0104-surprised.gif

P/H?

Edit. Ah found it. Someone sent me a PM on A2OC. The loving home I sold it to is trying to flog it on eBay now. OH well. He had the contacts to cheaply fix it up which I don't and I did not have the time or patience. So good luck to him.

Edited by 900000

Got a set on fleebay for the Yaris 16" for £15 inc delivery, I think the only thing to watch for is the number of wheel nuts...

Mine seem to be the right size etc, the VAG cars seem to be similar.

Mike

Hi

Thanks for your inputs fellas. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I think the VW T5 covers are the ones to go for, they achieve the protection I'm after without reducing the wheel ventilation.

I'm having problems finding some on-line though.

Not very ebay literate I'm afraid.

If I get them, what size of Skoda badge sticker looks best?

Fred

If I get them, what size of Skoda badge sticker looks best?

Fred you don't need the badges truth be told. The ones on my car has the word Volkswagen written out in a circle. There is no VW logo on them. So you need to be very close up and be reading in a circle before you realise it is not a Skoda badge. Their part number is: 2K0 601 149 C. They are a bit harder to find on eBay though but do come up as that is where I found mine. The most common ones on eBay will have a VW logo in the centre and you might need the Skoda badges. My (unfitted) badges are 70mm. Someone posted somewhere how to fix them since the hub cap is domed and the logo has a flat sticky base. So could be tricky and the reason for me not having done it yet!

Here is a close up of the VOLKSWAGEN written in a circle (a bit dirty after some use!):

imgp3941.jpg

As I stated somewhere I went a bit overboard with centre cap buying so got these now too! Their part number is 2K0 601 169. They DO have a VW badge but I think they are the ones I'm going to experiment with to stick the Skoda badges on:

imgp3944b.jpg

And on the car:

imgp3957x.jpg

imgp3951.jpg

Can you make the photos bigger please?! emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Hehehe Sorry. I normally link to the Facebook ones (which are smaller when you click on them). But for these I used Imageshack so that they are big since people might want to see a bit more detail! Well I would have wanted to see every nook and crany of these caps before I'd commit. So I hope the large pics are of use to someone! emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

So be warned! They are HUGE when you click on them! hehehe

Fred you don't need the badges truth be told. The ones on my car has the word Volkswagen written out in a circle. There is no VW logo on them. So you need to be very close up and be reading in a circle before you realise it is not a Skoda badge. Their part number is: 2K0 601 149 C. They are a bit harder to find on eBay though but do come up as that is where I found mine. The most common ones on eBay will have a VW logo in the centre and you might need the Skoda badges. My (unfitted) badges are 70mm. Someone posted somewhere how to fix them since the hub cap is domed and the logo has a flat sticky base. So could be tricky and the reason for me not having done it yet!

Hi Johann

At present I'm chasing some with the large VW logo. I may not get them of course.

One of my friends with machining facilities has suggested fixing an additional ring to support a badge, but until he sees the caps and the dome shape it won't be possible to assess the feasability of this approach because the ring will have to be light weight and firmly attached.

I'm not sure I'm too worried about VW badging anyway. If the current bid doesn't succeed I will look for ones with the part number you have given.

Thanks for your help.

Surprise, surprise, outbid in the last few seconds - automatic bidding I suspect.

Edited by Fred_Bristol

Hi Johann

At present I'm chasing some with the large VW logo. I may not get them of course.

One of my friends with machining facilities has suggested fixing an additional ring to support a badge, but until he sees the caps and the dome shape it won't be possible to assess the feasability of this approach because the ring will have to be light weight and firmly attached.

I'm not sure I'm too worried about VW badging anyway. If the current bid doesn't succeed I will look for ones with the part number you have given.

Thanks for your help.

I never bid on eBay. I only buy the "Buy it now" stuff. If the price is right of course. You find it, buy it, pay for it and days later have it. None of this bidding malarky.

And as to the VW badge: since it is just embossed in the plastic it is near invisible anyway. So I won't worry too much about it. The circle VOLKSWAGEN ones are the best but you won't go wrong with the VW be-logoed ones. See my last pics. They have a VW logo and well, your eyes are drawn to the beauty of the car above! Not the wheel caps! hehehe

My centre caps are like your ones with the small volkswagen written on them, but have a large VW like the other ones you have.

They now have Skoda badges covering them up.

Mike

I can't wait to see them! Did the glue you suggested stick them well and truly? Did you have to bend the badge to take the shape of the cone?