Skidding In The Snow

joelk2010

Hi,

Having not braved the cold weather yet and reading a few posts about sliding around, what should one do if they happen to loose it ? I know you shouldn't hit the breaks but would be best to do ? Lift off completely and hope for the best ? A tap of the accelerator to try and find some grip ?

I imagine there are a few "good / experienced" drivers on here. Would be good to hear your opinions.

Hi,

Having not braved the cold weather yet and reading a few posts about sliding around, what should one do if they happen to loose it ? I know you shouldn't hit the breaks but would be best to do ? Lift off completely and hope for the best ? A tap of the accelerator to try and find some grip ?

I imagine there are a few "good / experienced" drivers on here. Would be good to hear your opinions.

Check your tyre tread & pressures and replace if you must because they are vital in this weather.

Take your time (Drive slowly) around bends in particular

Use higher gears it reduces wheel spin

Keep a longer distance from the car infront

Brake much earlier and dont panick when anti-lock braking system kicks in the brake pedal vibrates, gentle braking on and off prevents sliding

Edited by REDFABVRS

I'm no driving god, but a few tips:

If something you've done started the skid, undo it *GENTLY*. So if you brake and it slides, loose off the brakes. If you turn and it slides, loosen off the lock. If you wheelspin, back off the throttle. If you lose the back end, try to steer the way it is going.

The aim is not to break grip at any point in the first place, so basically, just go very easy on all the controls and think about what happens if you brake, steer, or accellerate.

Starting in 2nd gear gets more grip in the snow, try and not go over 3k revs or you'll just end up spinning the wheels and getting stuck.

If you do get stuck rock the car in reverse and should be able to get yourself out then try again in 2nd gear.

If something you've done started the skid, undo it *GENTLY*. So if you brake and it slides, loose off the brakes. If you turn and it slides, loosen off the lock. If you wheelspin, back off the throttle. If you lose the back end, try to steer the way it is going.

The aim is not to break grip at any point in the first place, so basically, just go very easy on all the controls and think about what happens if you brake, steer, or accellerate.

Thats basically about it as a rough rule of thumb.

If the front of the car tries to go straight on (understeer) take off some of the steering lock and gently lift off the throttle. When you feel it bite again then carry on as you were.

If the back of the car starts sliding (oversteer) then you need to turn into the skid. For example if you are turning right, the back will go out to your left so you want to turn left into it a little and that will help you catch it. Lifting off in this scenario will have a similar effect to brakeing on the front wheels only which will only make things more interesting...

To be honest, if you are wise enough to ask this question, you are wise enough to drive within your limits as you have done the most important thing and admit that you dont know!!! Many a car in the undergrowth with people too proud to admit it!

Once you have gotten through this winter, have a look into going to a skid pan with a couple of like minded mates. Most skid pans will do a decent price for a 1/2 day group thingy and you will learn one hell of a lot. All of which is transferable onto the highway too.

Also, if you have to stop in a hurry, the most important thing that you do is DO IT SMOOTHLY. If you jump on the brakes you will simply sail on very little change in speed. Leave plenty of space and practice using the brakes. I dont know where you are from, but if there is a decent flat smooth wide country road try just going at 5 or 10mph and applying the brakes. Start of being a wee bit harsh and if the wheels lock up, lift off and try again but being a little more gentle. Once you have found the right level it will give you a rough idea of what the car can do. Remember that, just as in any other weather grip is constantly changing but at least you ahve a vague idea of what grip there is.

Edited by imull

Starting in 2nd gear gets more grip in the snow, try and not go over 3k revs or you'll just end up spinning the wheels and getting stuck.

That's not entirely true: the grip you have is the grip you have. If you're gentle on the clutch & throttle it will go just as well in 1st. If you're clumsy in 2nd, all you'll do is spin the wheels faster and heat up the clutch. The technique can be useful to mask technique or a grabby clutch though. Personally, I'd always use 1st and just be careful.

In extremely icy weather slowing down using the brakes will still make the car skid onwards no matter how gentle you are. I find that slowing the car down is better achieved by going down through the gears, even in to 1st if you are still skidding at 10mph. Works well for me. Accelerating, as described earlier, by changing up to a higher gear sooner than you would normally gets my vote as well. Not sure about staring in 2nd. this depends on the car and gearbox but I would start off in 1st. with a Fabia VRS and Vivaro van 2nd. gear works well.

Today I managed to drive my Vivaro van around without using the brakes, just by anticipating the road ahead and leaving a large gap to the car in front, only used the brakes when parked.

Please drive safely all.

As mentioned above in case of understeer wind the lock off and back on, effectively cadence steering. Also look where you want to go, not where you are going, if you look straight ahead you will go straight ahead, sounds stupid but it was proven to work on a skid course that was a Brisky event a few years ago.

I like your analogy, very well put.

If the back of the car breaks right, steer right to correct it

If the back of the car breaks left........

ABS is designed to let you steer while breaking, not necessarily stop quicker.

Brake before clutch, in any gear other than 1st, (maybe 2nd). Helps to control the stop.

Allow up to 10 times normal stopping distance ( which will give you more time to react gently to traffic ahead).

Remember there is a reason the Coppers call them 'collisions' these days instead of accidents. An accident implies there is no-one at fault.

Planning ahead is the key. Of course, no-ones perfect though! :)

Remember there is a reason the Coppers call them 'collisions' these days instead of accidents. An accident implies there is no-one at fault.

More to the point an accident implies that no one can be prosecuted and fined.

Please note when a copper is involved in a collision and it is their fault on 'police stop piggy bank' etc it is still referred to as an RTA :rofl:

Hi,

The only way you'll gain any experience is through practice. Talk is no substitute for doing. Just don't be too silly.

one other thing i do i test the grip available

when doing about 10mph after starting off (making sure it is safe to do so) brake gently and increase the brake pressure until you get to normal brake force or the ABS cuts in to get a feel for the grip available, it can be suprising how little grip there is :(

or with no other traffic on the road in 2nd / 3rd accelerate and see if you suffer any wheel spin

just concertrates the mind on how slippery a surface is before you need to stop for real

Gentle on the throttle, gentle on the brakes.

Give yourself a big gap to the car in front.

Slow the car down way way before a junction and then edge up.

Don't get over confident and let your speed build up too much, because when you have to stop you'll find it's not so easy.

When going up steep slippery slope or hill let the car in front get a long way in front or to the top, if you have to stop on the hill you might have a problem getting started or start to slide back down.

is there a safe mode the fabia goes into because when i was stuck going nowere all the lights on the dash came on and the handbrake was flashing

anyone know why?

Sounds like your battery is on its way out

Click the ASR (or EPS) button,

Enter corner at manageable speed,

Yank that lever on the lhs up momentarily,

Steer into the turn,

Acc, steering out of the turn (assuming you've kissed/passed the apex) i.e. straighten car up.

Try not to wrap it round a tree, bang any curbs or clip any cars in the process :thumbup::giggle:

But in all seriousness,

leave plenty of space in front and around you,

If you feel the rear is letting go on braking ease up on the brake pedal slightly,

If you feel the front it going pull the handbrake slightly,

Engine braking helps but careful of the sensitivity of the acc.

All motion must b very very smooth.

Jlneon . . .

I knew that was the proper way to drive in the snow. . C'mon who hasn't tried it. I am lucky enough to like of a large very quite road, and didn't manage to do some kind of 'snaking' down my road to the amusement of my younger sister. Drift king.

But to whoever said try in 2nd 3rd accelarate, you need to br very careful doing this and I really wouldn't reccomend this, it is a recipie to go sailing into a curb/wall. When you start spinning in snow it's very difficult to stop

I'm guessing you all know this.... but you really don't have to use the accelerator to set off in 1st on the Fabia. If your smooth (and you should be so anyway) the anti stall ECU thingy will get you trundelling.

The same trick will work in 2nd but that calls for super smoothness and it'll start moving quicker once the clutch is fully engaged so be sure it's clear in front,

I learnt about snow driving the hard way.. I locked all 4 wheels on a round about and by that point ABS detects no wheel movement, thinks your stationary, and won't kick in. Turning you into a sledge, basically.. So panic breaking is a big NO!

Edited by Rob.

But to whoever said try in 2nd 3rd accelarate, you need to br very careful doing this and I really wouldn't reccomend this, it is a recipie to go sailing into a curb/wall. When you start spinning in snow it's very difficult to stop

it was me, and the context was to test the grip available, not to accelerate hard or keep the wheels spinning

1: Go find a snow covered, empty car park - preferably without kerbs & other things that could kill a tyre/wheel/bodywork.

2: Go nuts. You will learn sooooo much from actually experiencing skids in a (semi) controlled environment.

3: Try not to crash into anything.

Did this in my first winter of driving, in a massive car park by our local police station, in my mini. Coppers came out and asked what the hell I was doing:

"learning how to not crash" was the honest answer. By the time I was done, there was almost no snow left in there!

But best advice I can give is: Don't drive in this weather, and if you do, take it easy.

A lot of people get frustrated and boot it in the snow; as mentioned, all this does is spin the tyres up, lose what little grip you have and possibly dig yourself into a hole.

Learn to use the clutch as smoothly as possible; if you have a diesel or hi torq petrol engine, practice pulling away WITH using the throttle.

When everyone was stuck last winter, I was moving easily by just easing the clutch up at idle (800 rpm) and letting the car go.

On the flat I managed 15mph in 5th without touching the throttle once.

Narrow tyres are better than wide ones; this is why we didnt get stuck so often in the 70's!!! :dull:

If you are trying to stop and you have no grip at all, let the tyres lock up; you will build a small hill of snow under the front of the tyres which will slow you down. Release if you need to attempt to steer.

If you are lucky and have a car with switch-able ABS, turning it off is best when driving in snow.

A lot of 4x4 drivers get smug because they have better traction in the snow and ice; what they forget is, under braking they have just as little grip as the rest of us!!!!

Which cars have this "switch-able ABS". It would be a nice feature, but I didn't know cars could have this.

The other tip I'll give is if you come to a steep hill to go down, this is what you do.

Slow down using engine braking.

select 1st or 2nd gear

Feet off the pedals, and just steer.

If you are going too fast then (too many revs) then lightly dab the brakes.