Screenwash

ejstubbs

At the moment staying in Scotland and the first night we were here was -15. I used the VAG screenwash not knowing until a day later it was so cold. Front and rear worked no problem. the next night it was -12. Don't know what last night was or tonight will be, but I was out earlier at dusk and it was -11.5. Fingers started to not want to work after about 1 minute, but the screen washer worked fine!

Mike

-18 here yesterday morning never above minus 8 during the day Lidl screenwash Mixed at 50/50 and no problems. But have been unable to buy any more as out of stock.

After all the positive reports on the VAG screen wash and the fact that the Holts I was using had frozen I bought 3ltrs of VAG today so will see how it goes.

I see that the VAG is clear so if using any other screen wash which is not clear could lead to debate with the dealer if you had a warranty issue with the system I think?

Nice lemon smell :smirk:

i filled mine pre bad weather with tesco's own...didnt dilute just added neat!...frozen everday since late november( unfreezes after a 50mile drive :wonder: ) and smells like cat pee!!....need to buy some of this VAG stuff it seems :thumbup:

After all the positive reports on the VAG screen wash and the fact that the Holts I was using had frozen I bought 3ltrs of VAG today so will see how it goes.

I see that the VAG is clear so if using any other screen wash which is not clear could lead to debate with the dealer if you had a warranty issue with the system I think?

Nice lemon smell :smirk:

Skoda screen wash is not clear here (Bulgaria), it's blue... The stuff that goes to -40deg if not mixed with water.

Skoda screen wash is not clear here (Bulgaria), it's blue... The stuff that goes to -40deg if not mixed with water.

[/quote

The VAG screenwash I bought is blue also, but goes down to -70 without dilution. Not that i'd be driving anywhere at that temperature!

I used to use Skoda Screen wash and reckoned it was pretty good, but then I discovered Porsche OE approved Screenwash. A neat bottle with a squeezy measure of 25ml that makes 2.5L of screenwash; cleans the screen really well (and smells fairly fresh also) ......

..... except that it has absolutely no anti frost/freeze properties at all ! :doh::doh:

Fortunately it has not been too cold @ home so far, down to -5 degC but it means I have been unable to use the screenwash until the engine warmth has thawed everything out. :o

Who was it that said Porsche is better than Skoda?

Maybe it was the summer additive? :) Skoda also has such one, it's better for removing insect residues than the winter one (but of course no anti freeze properties).

Just a word of warning.........

DON'T fill your screen wash reservoir up prior to a service. The mechanic will empty it to flush the sytem through, and you still get charged for a refill!

Just a word of warning.........

DON'T fill your screen wash reservoir up prior to a service. The mechanic will empty it to flush the sytem through, and you still get charged for a refill!

They never empty it and flush the system through. They just do nothing and charge you to top it up. If I remember I ask them not to touch it and when they put it on the bill(as the always try to) I get them to remove it

They never empty it and flush the system through. They just do nothing and charge you to top it up. If I remember I ask them not to touch it and when they put it on the bill(as the always try to) I get them to remove it

I do the same. It drives me nuts that I get charged for screenwash when they do nothing. Every dealer does it, over the year it probably pays for their Christmas party at Claridges.

Found out a couple of days ago that my dealership don't use VAG screen-wash additive on servicing. Not bad, but a smart move. My man found out who makes it for VAG, orders it direct at a fraction of the price. They stock VAG at nearly 4 quid a shot, but my local VW agent, Ridgeway Garage have it at £3.38.

Found out a couple of days ago that my dealership don't use VAG screen-wash additive on servicing. Not bad, but a smart move. My man found out who makes it for VAG, orders it direct at a fraction of the price. They stock VAG at nearly 4 quid a shot, but my local VW agent, Ridgeway Garage have it at £3.38.

Pukka VAG is £2.70 through Jabbasport at the moment (1 litre). Comes out a bit more if you need to add P&P rather than collect.

This is what happens when you clean the windscreen when it is -13degC out thereemoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Thank goodness for a heated windscreen.

Mike

And I'll be blowed if I can see the wires in the screen :giggle: I'll need to wait till next year to try mine out (unless the winter lasts through to March, might be lucky!)

Edited by GazzaC

I only pay around that price from my local dealer. :thumbup:

If only I could say the same :'( Hence I purchased a job lot! Should last two cars well through next winter with a bit of luck.

I bought 4 litres of VAG stuff at a little over £3 per litre and it wasn't enough for my 1250 miles round trip to Scotland, so had to resort to unipart pre mix to -7degC only from a motorway service station.

Mike

For those of us in soft water areas, where the VAG wash additive is not so important, Aldi have their own washer adiitive back in stock from Thursday 30th December at £2.99 for 5 litres, but (and there's bound to be a but!) it's ready to use, &I dont know what tempertaure it's good down to!

Edited by speedsport