Module headlights......rubbish

raisbeck

I have a Fabia II Greenline. It has the module headlights which are the ones that use a single H7 bulb and has a solenoid to put a plate in the beam for dip.

This magnificent piece of technology.....is rubbish. The light output is very poor. The beam gives very little distance and is in my opinion step back. My old Mk 1 Fabia had the normal reflector headlights which were pretty ok.

I have posted about these lights before. I tried Osram nightbreakers as a bulb upgrade and there was an improvement. I think I was suffering from placebo effect as after some time I have to declare even these as having a limited effect.

I finally opted for Phillips extreme bulbs. They were recommended on 'Which'. These really are a significant improvement. No Placebo affect with these. Definitely sharper beam and project much further. I would now declare these headlights 'adequate'. I paid £18 on ebay for a pair.

Anyone else find these module headlights a bit rubbish ? I do lots of miles with a lot on unlit country A roads. The other issue with these lights is the dip. It really is like a hard cutoff line. With standard reflector type you at least get some light spill in dip to see down the road a bit, with these you get nothing beyond about 50 feet.

Other than that the cars fabulous :)

i read somewhere (possibly a car magazine or car website) that aftermarket bulbs are more likely to last less long than oem bulbs?

Thats true for a lot of them. The 'Phillips Extreme' apparently last the same length of time as a standard bulb. They used to be a lot more expensive but there is an 'Extreme II" now at £35 so the standard 'Extreme' are very affordable. You tend to get what you pay for I reckon.

do u jknow what extra do u get with the extreme II

Dont quote me but the standard Extreme are marketed as 80% brighter than standard. The extreme II are 100% brighter. So 20 percent brighter for an extra 15 pounds...

Worth it ? No idea but I am happy with these. I will get another pair for spares.

do u have the username of the ebay seller please or a link. i'm interested.

Just type 'Philips extreme H7' as a search in ebay. It will list the standard extreme bulbs and the extreme II

Edited by raisbeck

Hello,

I have a Fabia Mk 2, 2 with the bullseye headlamps, I've also heard them called projector headlights. I don't know what modular lights are. The headlamps are much better than my old Alfa 146 that also had bullseye lights. I have just upgraded to Lidl' s 50% brighter bulbs. The bulbs are marked up Wotan and are definitely brighter and with a whiter light. I'll keep the old bulbs in the glove box. I did have Osram brighter bulbs in the Alfa and they had a very bright but short life. The Lidl's bulbs included fuses, and other spare bulbs and were very cheap something like £5-99. Happy Christmas everyone.

John Fisher

Hello,

I have a Fabia Mk 2, 2 with the bullseye headlamps, I've also heard them called projector headlights. I don't know what modular lights are. The headlamps are much better than my old Alfa 146 that also had bullseye lights. I have just upgraded to Lidl' s 50% brighter bulbs. The bulbs are marked up Wotan and are definitely brighter and with a whiter light. I'll keep the old bulbs in the glove box. I did have Osram brighter bulbs in the Alfa and they had a very bright but short life. The Lidl's bulbs included fuses, and other spare bulbs and were very cheap something like £5-99. Happy Christmas everyone.

John Fisher

Yes, Skoda call them modular but they are basically projector type with the 'fish eye' type lense.

Mine are ok now with these upgraded bulbs. Stupid idea to use these projector type lamps. Reflector type worked really well so why change ? The only advantage I see is that going from dip to full doesn't involve turning a bulb on and off, this may prolong bulb life.............

so when u want to give a flash (highbeam for a second) the projector/moduler) lights would turn on an instantly move

Projector lights have a single bulb which remains lit all the time you have headlights on. Dip beam is made by use of a plate controlled by a solenoid that drops in front of the bulb to cut off a portion of the light.

It exactly the same as if you raised and lowered a piece of paper in front of a torch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp

Just scroll down to the projector description.

The only other advantage to these is they are easy to convert to HID lights. HID uses the same sort of projector arrangement. Problem is HID is technically only legal on cars if they are self levelling and have a wash system fitted. Many people do convert them over as its simple to do requiring only a bulb adapter, ballast units and a relay. I did consider doing it myself but even though its unlikely you will get pulled up by the police and it may even go through an MOT......its still technically illegal which might lead to insurance issues.

• 8 months later...