Test: Yeti 1,4 90kw vs Tiguan 1,4 110Kw

Interesting test I found on the French forum between the 1,4 turbo petrol Yeti and the supercharged and turbo charged Tiguan. The Tiguan is the more powerful 1,4 but even so at the end of the day the Yeti wins! emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Overall rating - average: 8,31 Tiguan 8,42 Yeti

Read the translated review here.

Interesting to note that under the options for the Yeti it was fitted with heated windscreen washer jets... Hmmm. Yet another useful option SUK is not allowing the UK Yeti owner. Easy to retro-fit?

Another interesting fact I did not know is that both use the exact same rearview mirrors!

teskyevwti20_4d10604aacd35.jpg

Edited by 900000

Thanks - this was a really interesting and detailed comparison, and reading the 'pidgin English' translation is, as bilun777 says, an entertainment in itself:

'While the Tiguan to brake very onset of biting (lightly step on the pedal and it hangs in strips), the Yeti have beautifully smooth onset and can be well dosed'

I have always been impressed how well I can dose the braking!

Having test driven the Tiguan before coming to the Yeti, I too was surprised that the top-of-the-line Yeti didn't even have the option of the heated jets - truly a very useful thing in these arctic conditions, in my experience. There's a few other things like this that one can really only put down to 'politics' within VAG. At least, so I imagine, since none of them can be difficult or costly to implement, being standard in the group cars.

Edited by roguebrit

It is interesting to see how the two cars differ in the details when you start looking at the pics. The Tiguan for example does not even have soft bits on the middle rear seat's back for when it is an armrest! And the whole dash just looks so utilitarian compared to the Yeti. Not to mention those eight hideous air vents staring at you all the time.

And look how different the engine compartments are for basically the same engine (battery cover, washer fluid tank, etc):

teskyevwti71_4d10604d2c6a7.jpg

And look at this detail:

teskyevwti87_4d10604f6a306.jpg

Look how beautifully the Yeti's bonnet line runs up into the A-pillar. And by contrast the Tiguan has mess of panel at the base of the A-pillar and a rondom vertical cut line for the bonnet. (but the same mirrors albeit with different "stalks"where they attach to the car! hehehe)

Yes - I thought all the comparison pics were superb.

On a slightly different note, in Smiths yesterday I saw that 4x4 Magazine ran its 2011 4x4 Winners feature - with detailed reviews and opinions on most of the 4x4s out there- in the various categories. I was slightly surprised to see absolutely no mention of the Yeti, even in the 'family' category, Fiat yes, and many others - but no Yeti mentioned even in passing, as though they hadn't noticed it was available at all. In view of plaudits received elsewhere, it just struck me as slightly odd.

Edit; spelling, oh myemoticon-0111-blush.gif

Edited by roguebrit

An interesting comparision - thanks for the link!

My first impressions of exteriors were that the Tiguan looked more up market, but then I think the metallic paint had a part to play in that impression. But the body is not as nice as that of the slightly querky Yeti and looks somewhat big and heavy even though it's not actually that much bigger or heavier..

But Tiguan interior is awful ! Those double ventilation holes in the dash are hideous as is the center oval silver section. The Yeti looks so much better...thank goodness.

I love the Yeti in white, but I think it needs some extra bits of colour to give him a bit of character.... painted Yeti fur ?! That would be cool! :)

An interesting comparision - thanks for the link!

My first impressions of exteriors were that the Tiguan looked more up market, but then I think the metallic paint had a part to play in that impression. But the body is not as nice as that of the slightly querky Yeti and looks somewhat big and heavy even though it's not actually that much bigger or heavier..

But Tiguan interior is awful ! Those double ventilation holes in the dash are hideous as is the center oval silver section. The Yeti looks so much better...thank goodness.

I love the Yeti in white, but I think it needs some extra bits of colour to give him a bit of character.... painted Yeti fur ?! That would be cool! :)

I have black wheels on my Capuccino/ White Yeti! With the Skoda Green logos on the Wheels, and plenty of road grime for colour! :-)

Mike

Here in taiwan the VW importers had a big sale on the 2.0t trend and fun tiguan, so right now every 5 seconds i see a tiguan, at least once a week i will park next to one somewhere as well!.

Anyway i have compared them many times, this is what i find:

Tiguan cons:

no DSG gearbox

Horrible interior

Ugly to look at

Expensive

seats arent as comfatable

Tiguan pros:

Better engine choices

Higher spec choices

There is no comparison really, buy a Yeti or step up and buy a Touareg, dont bother with this expensive wannabe.

Interesting comparison, thanks for finding it!

I still prefer my Yeti, though i have to say that after 6 months of ownership, I would have preferred the higher positioning of the Tiguan's minor controls... ie radio (and presumably sat-nav) and heater /air con controls to those very low down items in the Yeti - having all controls higher up in any car just has to be safer.

The Yeti's tiny air con push-buttons are particularly poor and dont really go with the notion of an off-road vehicle.

Mind you, I doubt I would have been happy with the Tiguan's multiple heater outlet "eyes" looking at me all the time!

Interesting test I found on the French forum between the 1,4 turbo petrol Yeti and the supercharged and turbo charged Tiguan. The Tiguan is the more powerful 1,4 but even so at the end of the day the Yeti wins! emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Overall rating - average: 8,31 Tiguan 8,42 Yeti

Read the translated review here.

Interesting to note that under the options for the Yeti it was fitted with heated windscreen washer jets... Hmmm. Yet another useful option SUK is not allowing the UK Yeti owner. Easy to retro-fit?

Another interesting fact I did not know is that both use the exact same rearview mirrors!

teskyevwti20_4d10604aacd35.jpg

Interresting... since the Tiguan is available with electrically foldable mirrors. Just need to find a wrecked Tiguan at the scrapyard....

The Yeti's tiny air con push-buttons are particularly poor and dont really go with the notion of an off-road vehicle.

I think you'll find the air con push buttons are exactly the same. A lot of VAG cars including the Golf and Passat bow use the exact same control panel - albeit fitted at different heights.

teskyevwti03_4d10604946c57.jpg