4 Wheel Drive or 2 Wheel drive + Winter Tyres?

Expatman

There has been much discussion on this forum and elsewhere on the benefits of Winter tyres in bad weather conditions. The benefits seem to apply to both 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive vehicles but it has been strongly suggested that a 2 wheel drive with winter tyres is better than a 4 wheel drive with "regular" tyres in ice/snow and bad weather conditions. So, is it worth buying a 4 wheel drive Yeti - more expensive to buy, higher fuel consumption, more to "go wrong" , less choice of engines etc. Or for normal UK use is it better to buy a 2 wheel drive PLUS a set of winter wheel/tyres to put on from November to March?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really a like for like comparison but my wife's Fabia II now has winter tyres and feels much more sure footed than on summers. However it's not as good as the Yeti 4x4 on winters. With the Fabia I notice you do still get the odd minor slide or wheel spin pulling away on a slope. Had non of this with the Yeti 4x4.

Depends where you live I suppose but if I had a choice then 4x4 with winters gets my vote.

Regards,

TP

There has been much discussion on this forum and elsewhere on the benefits of Winter tyres in bad weather conditions. The benefits seem to apply to both 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive vehicles but it has been strongly suggested that a 2 wheel drive with winter tyres is better than a 4 wheel drive with "regular" tyres in ice/snow and bad weather conditions. So, is it worth buying a 4 wheel drive Yeti - more expensive to buy, higher fuel consumption, more to "go wrong" , less choice of engines etc. Or for normal UK use is it better to buy a 2 wheel drive PLUS a set of winter wheel/tyres to put on from November to March?

This is quite an interesting artcle from Evo Magazine - they reckon that a rear wheel drive Jaguar XFR is better in the snow on winter tyres than Range Rovers on summer tyres.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/255781/jaguar_xfr.html

If you plan to go 'off road' no doubt 4wd would be better.

IMHO, the most important is winter tyres. If you then need 4WD or not is up to you and your driving needs. he ranking is as follows, assuming snow and slick roads:

1. 4WD and winter tyres.

2. 2WD and winter tyres.

3. 4WD and summer tyres.

4. 2WD and summer tyres.

If you wiould consider all season tyres, the ranking would be bettween 2 and 3.

4WD will give better traction than 2WD with the same tyres, but the same braking whether its 2 or 4 WD, something often overlooked.

I've found my 2WD with winter tyres a revelation, though I did find a very steep hill today covered in sheet ice, where the hill descent function would have been useful. Managed okay, but needed to be very gentle with the controls.

Everywhere so far,I've found pulling away hasn't been too much for the winter tyres and 2WD to cope with. B)

I have just got back from driving on some of the coldest roads I have ever seen.

Still plenty of snow on the and loads of black ice.

Took things steady as I have a good understanding of the law of physics, and had no problems at all :)

I have been driving lots recently in my SnowTrac3 tyre'd Micra on ice and snow and for 99% of the time, can go everywhere on roads - even on crazy ice-rink-like roads. Only a 40% gradient hill stopped the Micra. So, on that evidence, you might think a 2WD Yeti would be just as good, but it won't be because it weighs hundreds of kilograms more than a Micra and physics will dictate your grip will be lost sooner eg, a bend or a hill. So instead of 99% of the time being perftectly mobile in a winter tyre'd 2WD Yeti, I would guess it would be down to 90%, which is fine unless you're thinking of driving around some hill like High Wycombe or intend to drive around snowy bends at 60mph...

4WD delivers more grip and therefore more safety and less chance of being stuck or having an accident.

You sound like you've already made up your mind for the 2WD Yeti with snow tyres - which is fine; everybody buys on needs and compromises.

But I will be ordering a 4WD Yeti hopefully soon - with SnowTrac3 tyres because I will slide less and be more safe. Plus, 4WD gives the option of towing later on in the cars life.

.......... is it worth buying a 4 wheel drive Yeti - more expensive to buy, higher fuel consumption, more to "go wrong" , less choice of engines etc.

"less choice of engines"?

I'm puzzled by this comment at there are a number of Yeti variants that are only available as 4x4 e.g. 1.8TSI, TDI CR140 & TDI CR170

To answer your question about 4x4 vs 2WD and Winter Tyres I would suggest you;-

1st - decide from your usual driving pattern and style, factoring in fuel consumption etc. whether you want 4x4 or 2WD and then

2nd - decide the merit, practicality, need or otherwise of using Winter tyres when required or stick to OE Summer tyres or, perhaps, go the All Season route.

Dispite being a 4x4 fan, for the kind of conditions we get in the South of England it would be hard to justify the extra price of a 4x4 Yeti over a 2wd having experienced our 1.2 DSG on All Season tyres (Goodyear Vector 4 Season with the snowflake marking) in my opinion.

Baring in mind the 4x4 versions have either a big petrol engine or the diesel, they are noticably more expensive than the 1.2 petrol plus you pay extra for the 4x4 capability too.

Our Yeti will do about 4,000 miles a year maximum and the All Season tyres cost us about 200 pounds after we sold off the summer ones it came with.

I wanted the 4x4 version, but am now glad we got the 2WD as it does just fine with the right tyres, for what we need.

For info, we didn't get a 4x4 version because Skoda didn't sell a 4x4 DSG at the time. In hindsight that saved us a lot of money... about 4000 pounds.

"less choice of engines"?

I'm puzzled by this comment at there are a number of Yeti variants that are only available as 4x4 e.g. 1.8TSI, TDI CR140 & TDI CR170

To answer your question about 4x4 vs 2WD and Winter Tyres I would suggest you;-

1st - decide from your usual driving pattern and style, factoring in fuel consumption etc. whether you want 4x4 or 2WD and then

2nd - decide the merit, practicality, need or otherwise of using Winter tyres when required or stick to OE Summer tyres or, perhaps, go the All Season route.

I am thinking of the 1.4 TSI rather than a diesel with DPF because of the known problems with DPF's and short journeys. My driving often involves many short journeys with infrequent high rev runs needed to keep DPF's in good order. The 1.8TSI 4x4 is attractive but I can't really justify the higher price, higher fuel consumption, higher tax & insurance etc.

I am not an off-roader but the attraction of the Yeti is the higher driving position and sight line for both the driver and passenger, it is also easier to get into than some of the lower slung hatchbacks, also I like the look of it! I suspect that many buyers look at the Yeti as an alternative to a hatchback rather than a 4x4 off-roader.

I am thinking of the 1.4 TSI rather than a diesel with DPF because of the known problems with DPF's and short journeys. My driving often involves many short journeys with infrequent high rev runs needed to keep DPF's in good order. The 1.8TSI 4x4 is attractive but I can't really justify the higher price, higher fuel consumption, higher tax & insurance etc.

I am not an off-roader but the attraction of the Yeti is the higher driving position and sight line for both the driver and passenger, it is also easier to get into than some of the lower slung hatchbacks, also I like the look of it! I suspect that many buyers look at the Yeti as an alternative to a hatchback rather than a 4x4 off-roader.

I live in South London, do lots of short journeys around London. I am NOT worried about any DPF problems. I think they are blown totally out of all proportion. I have not heard of one problem yet with a CR140 engine.

I love the higher driving position and the electric seat is just perfect for me. So easy to get in and out of.

I like the extra safety & traction from the 4x4, who works in our wet weather very well and makes the car even more sure footed. I wanted an auto with 4 wheel drive and there was only one option at the time in the entire Skoda range. So I bought it.

I am extremely happy with my decision. I've just come back from a little jaunt up to Scotland and back. Some of the roads would have been almost impassable apart for vehicles with 4x4. I drove on as many as possible. emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Mike

Have a look at this article, which is a timely reminder that there is no substitute for common sense even if you have a 4x4 with winter tyres. Its important to know the limitations of the vehicle.

Mind you they were also blindly following a sat nav.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1227/1224286317280.html

Edited by Photoemt

Dispite being a 4x4 fan, for the kind of conditions we get in the South of England it would be hard to justify the extra price of a 4x4 Yeti over a 2wd having experienced our 1.2 DSG on All Season tyres (Goodyear Vector 4 Season with the snowflake marking) in my opinion.

Baring in mind the 4x4 versions have either a big petrol engine or the diesel, they are noticably more expensive than the 1.2 petrol plus you pay extra for the 4x4 capability too.

Our Yeti will do about 4,000 miles a year maximum and the All Season tyres cost us about 200 pounds after we sold off the summer ones it came with.

I wanted the 4x4 version, but am now glad we got the 2WD as it does just fine with the right tyres, for what we need.

For info, we didn't get a 4x4 version because Skoda didn't sell a 4x4 DSG at the time. In hindsight that saved us a lot of money... about 4000 pounds.

Sounds like you made the correct choices for your needs. Its about the choice I'd make if I replaced my wife's 1.6 Auto Roomster with a Yeti; it similarly gets loads of trips to the shops and only does 4,000 miles pa.

For me; I've gone for the 4x4 as I drive in a sporty manner and want the 4WD/quattro benefit in normal driving. I got tired of getting wheelspin in my Octavia vRS TDI due to the huge amount of torque that I had. I will likely have this in my Yeti as I will be getting Kevin mapped to about 170/175bhp, 4WD will be much better to handle this. :giggle:

Go for it; seems like you've decided already. :thumbup:

All I'd recommend adding is a set of All Season tyres to keep you safer in the winter.

said it before ive had no issues this winter so far with fwd and summer tyres( goodyear excellance)..and nwe have had bad snow/ice here...2ft deep+ :thumbup: ...i would like to see diff with winter tyres, but have not needed them so far B) ...never could fault my skoda's in the snow

said it before ive had no issues this winter so far with fwd and summer tyres( goodyear excellance)..and nwe have had bad snow/ice here...2ft deep+ :thumbup: ...i would like to see diff with winter tyres, but have not needed them so far B) ...never could fault my skoda's in the snow

We're no experts, but I think you are fortunate to have the Goodyear standard tyres, we had Dunlops and found them not very good on our snowy hill. I compared a picture of the treads of both tyres, and the Goodyears look as though they have more useable tread, the Dunlops have more plain longitudinal(if that's the word!) grooves around half the width of the tyre. Tony

Edited by jessica

We're no experts, but I think you are fortunate to have the Goodyear standard tyres, we had Dunlops and found them not very good on our snowy hill. I compared a picture of the treads of both tyres, and the Goodyears look as though they have more useable tread, the Dunlops have more plain longitudinal(if that's the word!) grooves around half the width of the tyre. Tony

Hi Tony,

Lee has the advantage of 215/60 R16 95H tyres as standard ;) Much less effected by the cold and icy conditions than a 225/50 R17 94W. Had the same Goodyear (but in the bigger size) on my previous SE and like you were finging with the Dunlops, it was poor.

When cold (particularly freezing and below) the reinenforced high performance tyres loose almost all there flexability and subsquently grip; had the same issue with the wife's Fabia II factory fitted with 205/45 R16 83W. Switched to 195/55 R15 85H winters and the car has been transformed :)

Regards,

TP

I have only ever driven Elsie on 215/60 R16 winter tyres. She has been awesome. There was no way I would have even contemplated driving on summers up to Scotland recently and driving on the roads that I did. The winters were brilliant.

The only time I had any issue with them was when a wheel hit a large lump of ice and mad the car move to one side or other of it.

On the motorway on the way up I was in the outside lane at about 40mph and hit some deep snow, probably 8-10 inches, the car wanted to dive off into it, but I held it straight, but it did lose speed-down to about 15mph due to that. With winters you are not invincible!

As a few people have said, it's not the moving off that's the problem, it's the stopping. I was constantly amazed how quickly the car would stop on ice. I would then get out of the car and would fall over because I couldn't stay upright - that is how good winters areemoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Mike

Hi Tony,

Lee has the advantage of 215/60 R16 95H tyres as standard ;) Much less effected by the cold and icy conditions than a 225/50 R17 94W. Had the same Goodyear (but in the bigger size) on my previous SE and like you were finging with the Dunlops, it was poor.

When cold (particularly freezing and below) the reinenforced high performance tyres loose almost all there flexability and subsquently grip; had the same issue with the wife's Fabia II factory fitted with 205/45 R16 83W. Switched to 195/55 R15 85H winters and the car has been transformed :)

Regards,

TP

Thanks Tim, I'd forgotten about the different sizes on the 'S'. Both totally amazed by the difference with the Kleber Krisalp HP2's, feels so surefooted on the snow and slush , never loses a bit of grip on our hillside slope, worth every penny in our opinion. Tony

One extra thing to think about. 4wd gives you that extra little bit of safety all year round as there are 4 wheels driving you if necessary. So if you over cook a corner or find a rain covered road a 4wd Yeti gives you that extra bit of safety and comfort. A 4wd Yeti is not just for winter!

One extra thing to think about. 4wd gives you that extra little bit of safety all year round as there are 4 wheels driving you if necessary. So if you over cook a corner or find a rain covered road a 4wd Yeti gives you that extra bit of safety and comfort. A 4wd Yeti is not just for winter!

How much does the 4x4 actually help though?

Baring in mind it's mainly (or completely?) an on demand system which drives the front wheels in normal conditions. So you have to lose grip in some way before the 4x4 kicks in to help.

I have to admit my knowledge of 4x4 is full-time systems. Hence the question.

If you overcook it on a corner and the rear steps out, how much does it have to slide before the real wheel drive kicks in?

Baring in mind it's mainly (or completely?) an on demand system which drives the front wheels in normal conditions. So you have to lose grip in some way before the 4x4 kicks in to help.

If you overcook it on a corner and the rear steps out, how much does it have to slide before the real wheel drive kicks in?

dont really agree what was said earlier as 4wd wont do anything to help you mid corner to go round any faster or actually make the turn really. still only have the same 4 wheels on the road.

4x4 is all about traction, specially in this weather, pulling away and keeping moving is brilliant but they still take as long to stop as a 2wd. that said i wouldnt be without it :thumbup: its a must when im buying a car

The 4x4/4WD/Quattro helps a lot and reacts way quicker than you or I could! I'm talking milliseconds.

I used to have an Octavia vRS TDI and trying to do a quick getaway in the wet was almost impossible as it would easily result in wheelspin from the FWD. In my current Audi A5 quattro with the same CR170 engine a quick getaway in the wet is a piece of cake; the quattro (same system as on Yeti) works imperceptibly and I'm 'off the line' like a Cheetah.

Transferring this to traction in a corner, again the quattro works imperceptibly and gives superb traction throughout (normal laws of physics apply naturally), but you have the tractive power being put through 4 wheels, not 2, so the amount of power that can be applied before grip is lost is greater. Result? Quicker cornering.

The 4x4/4WD/Quattro helps a lot and reacts way quicker than you or I could! I'm talking milliseconds.

I used to have an Octavia vRS TDI and trying to do a quick getaway in the wet was almost impossible as it would easily result in wheelspin from the FWD. In my current Audi A5 quattro with the same CR170 engine a quick getaway in the wet is a piece of cake; the quattro (same system as on Yeti) works imperceptibly and I'm 'off the line' like a Cheetah.

Transferring this to traction in a corner, again the quattro works imperceptibly and gives superb traction throughout (normal laws of physics apply naturally), but you have the tractive power being put through 4 wheels, not 2, so the amount of power that can be applied before grip is lost is greater. Result? Quicker cornering.

With regards to Quattro, yes I get it. My understanding of Quattro is a full time 4 wheel drive set up with a torque split between the front and rear of the vehicle at all times for maximum drivability and control. The same as my Range Rover has.

My understanding of the Yeti system is Front Wheel Drive until you get wheelspin, (as you say, pulling away) where is sends power to the rear. Which is not the same thing while cornering as power is going to the front until you spin. You have to lose grip before the 4x4 kicks in.

Are you saying they are the same?

If so, that would clear it up a bit As I said, I thought they were different.

Sorry for needing it spelled out... but I don't see them as the same.

only if you arent cornering on the limit :)