LED Daylight Running Lights kit for Octavia

Hi

LED daylight running lights kit?

Advice please.

Yes, I have read the threads which touch on this subject, but have not come to any definite conclusion, so I need a simple answer from those of you in the know about these things

I wish to know if there is a kit out there that can be fitted to an Octavia Estae (mine is a 4x4 1.9 MkII Estate, 2007) which could be fitted by any reasonably competent garage and will be legal and will not cause any other electrical problems.

Many thanks

:wonder:

to be fair, it would be a bit more expensive to replace the whole car for just some lights!

Definitely, that's why I'd avoid the hassle and the "crashed through Halfords window" approach and just flick on my dipped headlights.

Not sure they'll fit?

Best option would be to retrofit the entire FL bumper if possible?

Another problem will be getting them to work properly. The FL LED DRL's double up as sidelights and dim when in sidelight mode or when dipped headlights are on.

Also you'll need to wire them to come on with the ignition and dim when the lights are turned on.

A challenge but an impressive retro fit if possible :thumbup:

SkodaOctaviavRS.jpg

To fit the FL bumper you need.

1 x New Bumper

2 x New Headlight Units

2 x New Front Wings

1 x New Bonnet

Respray on the lot.

Bit of an expensive way to get DRL's when you can have these for £35

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/drl-smd-led-units/drl-high-power-smd-5-led-daytime-running-lamps-emark-p-469.html

Which look like this

P1020177.jpg

Working.

P1020133.jpg

P1020130.jpg

:thumbup: Carl.

When I did some a while ago on my vRS I used CCFLs (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Light) but they proved to be unreliable. I'm fitting some LED units soon though.

The big problem I found was locating an ignition switched feed in the engine bay. I wanted the lights on all the time (not just with the side lights). After hours of poking around in the fuse and relay box with a multimeter and test lamps the canbus logic got the better of me. What appeared to be switched feeds suddenly became permanent when a load was applied and vica-versa..... :doh:

In the end I ran a feed from the dash fusebox through the engine bay to provide the switched feed.

Just wondering if anyone else has found one in the engine bay??

:thumbup: Carl.

When I did some a while ago on my vRS I used CCFLs (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Light) but they proved to be unreliable. I'm fitting some LED units soon though.

The big problem I found was locating an ignition switched feed in the engine bay. I wanted the lights on all the time (not just with the side lights). After hours of poking around in the fuse and relay box with a multimeter and test lamps the canbus logic got the better of me. What appeared to be switched feeds suddenly became permanent when a load was applied and vica-versa..... :doh:

In the end I ran a feed from the dash fusebox through the engine bay to provide the switched feed.

Just wondering if anyone else has found one in the engine bay??

Yes

I remember your post aswell.

I had the same problem as you. In the end i wired them into the Headlight connector block. (i think it was the black wire in posn 3 but if you have a multimeter that will tell you better) The posn i wired it into is a switched live with the ignition. So as soon as you turn the key they come on.

That kit i linked also provides wiring and instructions so you can have it that they come on with the igniton, On with the sidelights and dim with the headlights. I did a tutorial on here on the installation. Have a search in the Octavia 2 Section. It was titled something like Blue Bullet DRL version 2 ( i tried a different set of LED first and they looked carp so changed to these)

If you get stuck mate just pm me and i'll help wherever i can

Oh bugger, I've only gone an bought exactly the same LEDs you rejected, but only paid £20ish quid but still..... :dull:

Lovely write-ups, but I did notice that you haven't given us a clue to where the High Pressure AC connection is in the fuse box..... ;)

I'll press on with the 8 LED versions I've got and see if I'm happy with them (although knowing that the 5s are even better will gnaw away at my brain)

• 8 months later...