Slightly buckled alloy - repair possible?

Hit a massive pothole this week made a right bang and the traction control kicked in.

Local tyre place had a look at the wheel off the car and put it on the balancing machine, apparently it is 'slightly' buckled - when the wheel was spinning on the balance machine you could see a point it go in/out on the inside rim.

Tyre fitter guy seemed to suggest if I couldnt notice any steering wheel vibration it was no big deal, but I'm not sure if it will annoy me just knowing its there, specially as I've only had the car a few weeks.

How much roughly is a new skoda zenith 18" alloy? failing that has anyone repaired an alloy damaged in this way?

Cheers

Hit a massive pothole this week made a right bang and the traction control kicked in.

Local tyre place had a look at the wheel off the car and put it on the balancing machine, apparently it is 'slightly' buckled - when the wheel was spinning on the balance machine you could see a point it go in/out on the inside rim.

Tyre fitter guy seemed to suggest if I couldnt notice any steering wheel vibration it was no big deal, but I'm not sure if it will annoy me just knowing its there, specially as I've only had the car a few weeks.

How much roughly is a new skoda zenith 18" alloy? failing that has anyone repaired an alloy damaged in this way?

Cheers

Hi

Call "wheel doctor" at s****horpe 07957 871412. He repaired my 18 " zenith, good job too. A new one is £175.00 +vat. Hope that is useful to you. i know how you feel about it.

Cheers

Nowhere near you, but A1 Wheels in Wolverhampton straightened 2 wheels for me once.

Hi

Call "wheel doctor" at s****horpe 07957 871412. He repaired my 18 " zenith, good job too. A new one is £175.00 +vat. Hope that is useful to you. i know how you feel about it.

had to chuckle at the scunny edit! Thanks for that tisca I thought it may be more if I'm honest.

Nowhere near you, but A1 Wheels in Wolverhampton straightened 2 wheels for me once.

cheers, yes probably a bit far

Get a photo of the pothole ( if you know where it is exactly) and submit a claim to the local council, you'll get paid out for the repair or replacement with a new wheel and tyre no problems :thumbup:

I tried that with my last car.

They wouldn't pay because it hadn't been reported. I did say that their men had marked the pavement for repairs just a day or two before - their reply was that it was a different team!!

Not on our Skoda but on our caravan ally wheel, tyre blowout and Tyron bands fitted so tyre kept on but jeez the wheel shape. They wanted £365 for new wheel but was advised to take it down to our local car engineers who do car restorations..It was slightly oval and buckled plus grazes on rim. Cost £75 and couple of spray cans later looked new.

Get a photo of the pothole ( if you know where it is exactly) and submit a claim to the local council, you'll get paid out for the repair or replacement with a new wheel and tyre no problems :thumbup:

LOL - it is nigh on impossible to claim off the council. I have had my claim turned down for a new tyre after submitting 11 pages of evidence on the basis that the defect wasn't there when they did a drive by inspection 8 months earlier. The fact i wasn't reporting a defect but in fact dangerous street furniture which had been obscured by the autumn leaves is beside the point! They will be getting a strongly worded reply and may even take it down the small claims route now as they have annoyed me so much with the fact that they haven't investigated it at all.

They will try to fob you off, if you put in the claim with supporting photos of the pothole, damage to the wheel and estimates for the tyre and wheel they are legally obliged to pay out if the damage is caused by the pothole, they cannot prove it wasn't, I have claimed successfully on 3 occasions for exactly this sort of damage, the last time they were in the middle of repairs and did not mark the work area, my wife was driving, I was on business in ireland and by the time I got back they had completed repairs, they passed it onto the company responsible, somew :thumbup: here in yorkshire and I got a cheque in the post, took a few months of chasing it but they are obliged to keep the roads in an acceptable state so as to prevent damage to vehicles......persistance will pay off believe me

just damaged a tyre on a severe pot hole today after replacing all four last week but the buggers have filled the hole prior to me getting back with a camera. Gave the highways lot a call but they haven't called back yet. Probably won't pay out but I least I can try.

They will try to fob you off, if you put in the claim with supporting photos of the pothole, damage to the wheel and estimates for the tyre and wheel they are legally obliged to pay out if the damage is caused by the pothole, they cannot prove it wasn't, I have claimed successfully on 3 occasions for exactly this sort of damage, the last time they were in the middle of repairs and did not mark the work area, my wife was driving, I was on business in ireland and by the time I got back they had completed repairs, they passed it onto the company responsible, somew :thumbup: here in yorkshire and I got a cheque in the post, took a few months of chasing it but they are obliged to keep the roads in an acceptable state so as to prevent damage to vehicles......persistance will pay off believe me

I am the King of persistence believe me! only problem is they passed it on to Zurich who have fobbed me off and i have no email address only a postal address so i can see it getting very long winded. I also have them on the fact they included someone elses letter in with mine so i am sure they wouldn't want the news to get out that they are in breach of the Data Protection Act ;)

just damaged a tyre on a severe pot hole today after replacing all four last week but the buggers have filled the hole prior to me getting back with a camera. Gave the highways lot a call but they haven't called back yet. Probably won't pay out but I least I can try.

same here, I went back this morning with a camera, theyve filled the place in where it happened, good in many respects but how do I evidence now, I did lodge a notification with council highways the day it happened. To the eye the wheel looks ok so pretty much I'm screwed.

A new 18" alloy must have gone up, dealer quoted £191 plus vat=£230 quid.

same here, I went back this morning with a camera, theyve filled the place in where it happened, good in many respects but how do I evidence now, I did lodge a notification with council highways the day it happened. To the eye the wheel looks ok so pretty much I'm screwed.

A new 18" alloy must have gone up, dealer quoted £191 plus vat=£230 quid.

Wheel doctor £60 approx. repaired & fully chemically stripped then powder coated & painted. Also includes tyre refitting & balancing.Worth a phone

call or look on their website, www.wheeldoctor.co.uk Tel: 07957 871412.

Edited by tisca