all octy 1 owners please read this !

Guest westallc

Guest westallc

Guys just a heads up please make sure at some point you get a you oil pickup chaged in the sump as it gets blocked and causes massive problems

only today i looked at a guys car from on here as a favour

he had no boost and he had said he had to replace the oil pickup as it blocked and the oil light came on but the car was driven with oil pressure light on

on inspection it was found that the turbo was siezed solid so new turbo needed whicj=h is not cheap

so for an £8 part and £14 on sealent it will save you a fortune

i will do a full picture write up when i change my bro inlaws next week

this imo should be change once year

DONT DELAY ON DOING THIS

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest westallc

Wang some part numbers up dude!

Only cause I'm a lazy **** and can't be bothered to look myself emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

I'll probably do it while clutch is being done emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Ps still on for fri? emoticon-0144-nod.gif

emoticon-0103-cool.gifemoticon-0103-cool.gif

breakfast again sir

p.s you know what we forgot last time ( eggs) lol

So what blocked it exactly ???

I was talking about this yesterday with a tech and the biggest problem is sludge on the longditudinal mounted passats but traverse mounted 1.8t's don't seem to suffer with this issue at all. (not saying this as gospel mind)

He had a pick up in his hand as we spoke which was only blocked because someone had changed it and used too much sealant which had squirted back over into the sump and blocked it. He also said he does loads because of this issue.

Working on the theory of if it ain't broke don't fix it then it seems that disturbing it all down there could just be making life hard for yourself :S

I had mine checked and swapped last year at around 100k and it was fine down there in fact my mate said it was "spotless" and "pointless" but I was the boss lol

B) B)

breakfast again sir

p.s you know what we forgot last time ( eggs) lol

Suits you sir B)

Eggs were in bloody cupboard lol!

One word LOFT!! :thumbup:

Did you get that blowing sorted or are you using that as excuse to bring scooby over lol

I can see the point to do this if you are not sure the car has had regular oil changes with a good oil but to replace it regardless, not so sure.....

Cheers for the awareness though Clive.....

Guest westallc

it seems that a few thngs can cause the oil pickup to get blocked

1. wrong oil used on service

2. bad service history

3. condensation build up causing sludge when car is left to sit or only short journeys are done

i have taken 4 sumps of on cars from 60 k to 100+ k and all have had partial blocking

not sure on the exact cause but its deffo a big issue

there have been 4+ cars on here alone in the last month with oil pressure issues due to this

but you are right you must be careful when doing the sealent as you can block it again :(

p.s si not had a chance mate been fitting bertees new fm and bumper mod etc etc and looked at this other guy car so cavalier has not been touched :doh: ( loft done)

Guest westallc

when you do the oil change you are removing all the oil so an extra £20 and 30mns labour imo is without a doubt a must even if you do change your oil every 6 months

the design of the pickup means that any build up stays in the lips of it and will not self clean as such

Hi guys,

this was mine, cheers Clive for all the help today.

As for the pick up, just pure sludge, nothing else.

Can I just say too, that there was no bang or noise apart from the turbo whining as it tried to accelerate, this was according to my mrs, as she was driving it home from work at the time :'(

I do think that everycloud has a silver lining and, on the bright side, I can only say that at least the engine sounds alright and as the turbo seized at the moment it seems that no other broken parts of the turbo have been ingested.

Once again cheers for the help

Ian

when you do the oil change you are removing all the oil so an extra £20 and 30mns labour imo is without a doubt a must even if you do change your oil every 6 months

the design of the pickup means that any build up stays in the lips of it and will not self clean as such

guide and P/N's :thumbup: buddy.....

When I explained this problem to one of the motor vehicle lecturers in the college where I work he suggested that this type of problem is quite common with turbos on engines that use expensive type oils when the engine oil isn't changed regularly, and by regularly he suggested once every 6 months.

After looking at my pickup pipe, it's easy to see why this problem is common on these engines as it is tiny with a massive lip which just holds all the crap.

A quick google for sludge and turbo will bring loads of hits on all makes of car.

Here'a a good link that even says there was a 2005 consumer report that listed Audi and VW still get the problem no matter how much the oil is changed....

oil link

it also states this common problem that I had and that you should never, ever drive when the light comes on.

So, the only answer is change your oil regularly

Edited by tendoshingan

Hi guys,

this was mine, cheers Clive for all the help today.

As for the pick up, just pure sludge, nothing else.

Can I just say too, that there was no bang or noise apart from the turbo whining as it tried to accelerate, this was according to my mrs, as she was driving it home from work at the time :'(

I do think that everycloud has a silver lining and, on the bright side, I can only say that at least the engine sounds alright and as the turbo seized at the moment it seems that no other broken parts of the turbo have been ingested.

Once again cheers for the help

Ian

Can you give us more information on the service history of the car and mileage done? Thanks,

Can you give us more information on the service history of the car and mileage done? Thanks,

I purchased the car in Apr 09, and it came with full service history. According to the log book only 1 driver, and the car was in immaculate condition.

The car is an 03, it's last garage service was a year ago, and believe it or not, I was planning another at the end of the month with a cam belt change too, bloody typical.

I did the brakes myself and fixed minor problems but in general, my knowledge on injection and carbed cars is good, but turbo's is non-existant so wasn't sure on this. It sailed through the last 2 MOTs.

As for the mileage it is 67K.

The only other problem its had is that the a couple of coils went and also the springs need doing, in fact will be doing the rears tomorrow.

But the car isn't used that too often as it likes to drink too much fuel (don't they always), and I think that by not driving it often, and getting a good run out, it may have added to the problem, also with having a little un' and being with her most of the time (part-time stay at home dad) I don't get that much time to drive the car as it should be.

Prior to purchase I did check on any major problems but I can't really remember finding anything on this problem otherwise I can't help but think it would have set alarm bells ringing as soon as it occurred.

Hope no-one else has the same problem.

The original servicing was yearly but some were inbetween so to speak, for example when clutch was changed, or brakes needed doing.

On previous cars I've had thought a year would be fine.

Fully synth I've always used but I do think that this is an issue more to do with using turbo cars in urban driving and not getting a good run more than anything else.

In future, when it's fixed I will be thinking of bi-yearly oil change, and perhaps to make sure do a yearly inspection of the oil pick up pipe, and change if necessary.

I know that apart from the odd runout, and taking my daughter to toddler group and swimming classes, it won't get much mileage done so would prefer to to err on the side of caution in future as i don't want to fork out on another turbo!!!!

Love the car shame about the headache it's caused