One stuck Yeti

Sanqhar

Even if I don't like to say it, I'd say it's a 4x4 :thumbdown: You can see the left rear wheel spinning right at the end of the clip :giggle:

Rear wheels were dead all the time until the end. That spinning of the left wheel you saw is probably caused by car moving.

this looks more fun cant wait to get my 4x4 (bet swmbo will not let me get it that dirty though)

As long as you have it power washed (after taking some photos first), how will she ever know? emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Mike

As long as you have it power washed (after taking some photos first), how will she ever know? emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Mike

will have to take it to the local hand wash and get the £15 wash and clean inside (get my moneys worth for a change :rofl: )

Rear wheels were dead all the time until the end. That spinning of the left wheel you saw is probably caused by car moving.

What about the hole left in the dirt where the left rear wheel had been spinning? :wonder:

if you watch the other video no 1 of 2. you can see the rear wheel spin only slightly (1min 13 sec into the vid) have they turned the traction control off some how for that rear wheel not to spin more

What about the hole left in the dirt where the left rear wheel had been spinning? :wonder:

I don't know :( , but if that was 4x4 than something was seriously wrong with it. If I understand it correctly rear wheels should start spinning as soon as front wheels lose the grip. And in this case rear wheels were dead like dead horse and front wheels were spinning like crazy :).

Had something similar in the old Pat Monster last winter; driving up hill in a heavy snow fall narrow lane but forced to pull over onto the verge area due to vehicles coming the other way, oh yes running on winters and in off-road mode.

Anyway unknown to me at first the front nearside sank into some soft earth under the snow, probably up to the wishbone (from the amount of mud wrapped round it on later inspection) :S When I tried to move off the front off-side 'spun up' on the snow covered tarmac road but nothing else much happened besides that; did not detect movement from the other 3 wheels :wonder:

However I put it into reverse and it backed straight out (direction of gravity :giggle: ) continued my journey with no further issue other than trying to get past a number of 'beeched' 2wd motors on summer slicks :D

Odd one that but I do think under certain conditions the rear wheels don't react how one would hope.

TP

With the Freelander I, you had to rev the engine past 3.5K (I think) in order to kick in the electronics when you got cross-axled - might be something similar?

Thats confuses the life out of me as Ive been in worse situations than that (both deel snow and soft sand) and I dont think my Yeti even realised it was offroad! :giggle:

How strange. It the fact the rear axel isnt doing much at all that is so alien to me. :wonder:

I wonder if you turn on offroad function what's happening with ESP\TCS. Is it still functioning like in normal road conditions? When ever I was stuck with my 2wd Auris turning off ESP was way to go.

I don't know :( , but if that was 4x4 than something was seriously wrong with it. If I understand it correctly rear wheels should start spinning as soon as front wheels lose the grip. And in this case rear wheels were dead like dead horse and front wheels were spinning like crazy :).

I didn't think the Yeti had any diff locks. The F-R balance is affected by the Haldex acting as a LSD, as I understand it. So In this scenario there was probably the right-side front and left-side rear wheels spinning away at the start of the video...

This is why a FWD with traction control is better than a 4WD with no diff locks under many circumstances. And that is why 2WD is often sufficient in the snow-belt in N America (the SUVs are mostly beneficial for their clearance where folks live off unmade roads etc).

Would be good though if the Yeti (2WD or 4WD) had (maybe switchable) Traction Control for both axles. Might help in scenarios like this?

I wonder if you turn on offroad function what's happening with ESP\TCS. Is it still functioning like in normal road conditions? When ever I was stuck with my 2wd Auris turning off ESP was way to go.

Ive always hit the offroad button on before venturing off road - Id rather do anything to avoid getting stuck than having to come up with a solution once stuck :giggle: But that looks so disabled compared to what Ive experienced I just dont understand it. :dull:

I didn't think the Yeti had any diff locks. The F-R balance is affected by the Haldex acting as a LSD, as I understand it. So In this scenario there was probably the right-side front and left-side rear wheels spinning away at the start of the video...

This is why a FWD with traction control is better than a 4WD with no diff locks under many circumstances. And that is why 2WD is often sufficient in the snow-belt in N America (the SUVs are mostly beneficial for their clearance where folks live off unmade roads etc).

Would be good though if the Yeti (2WD or 4WD) had (maybe switchable) Traction Control for both axles. Might help in scenarios like this?

Yes there is no diff lock on the Yeti but I didn't know Haldex can send power to any wheel independently and not just to the rear axis.

There is ESP\TCS button that you can use to switch Traction Control off. But if you already have offroad button and you turn it on, that should be a signal for Haldex not to act as if you are on highway :)

Yes there is no diff lock on the Yeti but I didn't know Haldex can send power to any wheel independently and not just to the rear axis.

There is ESP\TCS button that you can use to switch Traction Control off. But if you already have offroad button and you turn it on, that should be a signal for Haldex not to act as if you are on highway :)

I believe the latest generation 4 setup can send upto 90% of the available torque to any single wheel.

I'd agree that it is a 4x4 you can see the left rear wheel picking up sand like the front wheels at the end of the clip. I'd say they had it stuck cross axled with the right fron and left rear spinning. The haldex only puts power to the back wheels when the front start spinning. AFAIK it is not a cross axle diff lock and that function is controlled by the traction control braking the spinning wheels to direct power towards the non spinning wheels. Did you take a good look at the front right tyre when they did a close up? That was a summer tyre definately not an M+S tyre and either it was full of sand or it was bald as I couldn't see much in the way if tread. An off road car is only as good as the tyres fitted at the end of the day.

Ian.

Right.

Yes that is a 4x4 as the back wheels are slipping, BUT he is doing so much incorrectly...........

There are sand ladders down at the start of the video but the front ones are in the wrong place, not under the wheels, and he is not being guided onto them.

The front end is on the sump guard and as it moves forward it is actually lifting the front, so reducing the traction available. A quick shovel of the mound out of the way would have stopped that problem.

Every time the wheels start to spin he takes the power OFF, therefore stopping any transfer of drive to the rear axle through the Haldex system. You have to keep the power ON to get everything to work, just as someone said earlier with the Freelander system. This goes against nearly everything that used to be told with a 4x4 vehicle, but it is the only way the modern electronic systems work.

No the Yeti does not have cross-axle mechanical diff locks, but what it does have is an ABS/E?????? system that individually brakes a spinning wheel, so does the same thing.

Turning the "off road" button on whenever you leave a good solid surface is a good idea, not just because it turns the HDC on, but because it alters other parameters in the ECU that makes driving for the uninitiated safer.

I was at the AGM of 4x4 Response Wales on the weekend and have arranged that this year I will be taking my LANTRA/BORDA based City & Guilds Cert in Off Road driving IN THE YETI!! I can then becoming an Instructor with them.

A run up would have sorted that out. Momentun is rather important with offroad driving, you need to have enough speed to carry you over obstacles but not so fast that you damage your 4x4 or the landscape.

Crawling is not always best but neither is adopting the method of 'if in doubt, flat out' unless you're driving in the desert. In a rusty old Landcruiser.

I was at the AGM of 4x4 Response Wales on the weekend and have arranged that this year I will be taking my LANTRA/BORDA based City & Guilds Cert in Off Road driving IN THE YETI!! I can then becoming an Instructor with them.

I didn't realise there was a City & Guilds in Off Road driving...

Where can you study/take that?

Mike