iPhone Mounting

TimR

Looking at where to mount my iPhone in my Yeti. Has anyone got a neat solution?

I use it for Sat nav sometimes so it needs to be mounted fairly high up to pick up satelites but I also want a neat power cable run to the front 12v socket. Anyone care to share what they have done?

Thanks in advance.

I use it for Sat nav sometimes so it needs to be mounted fairly high up to pick up satelites but I also want a neat power cable run to the front 12v socket. Anyone care to share what they have done?

Thanks in advance.

At the moment I am using a normal suction device for my GPS. However with an iPhone you have the A-GPS as well, so I don't think you need to place it right up to the windscrees. My phone actually slots perfectly inside where the Maxi-Dot trip computer area, obviously your's might not.

I think there are posts about permanent power source that could go through the driver side A-Pillar which might be handy.

I came across this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRODIT-PROCLIP-654393-for-SKODA-YETI---Pro-Clip------_W0QQitemZ150548411905QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=205308350701&rvr_id=205308350701&cguid=d6ffeec912d0a47a246716f7fff49451 which seems to be a good idea, but I have not used it before and it seems quite expensive for what it is.

http://lyxus.net/hncy

Brodit do several options for the Yeti - this is for my Garmin ...

Took live feed from fuse box (fuse with fused cable link to extra cig lighter socket which slides though hole @ back of fuse board to void underneath dash top, cable to Brodit mount fed via gap between dash and A pillar - very neat :thumbup:

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest the Brodit A pillar mount. Then you can hard wire into the fuse box underneath as per Great Yeti's post in the technical section.

Mike

Thanks in advance.

Hi Tim.

Check out this = link It may give you a few ideas. I originally posted it in the Briskoda Technical Guides section where you will find it and many other Yeti related information guides = Technical Guides including the one above.

Hope this helps.........

THE GREAT YETI

smiley-transport011.gif

EDIT: Sorry - Just seen the reply from Rockhopper.

emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Edited by Great Yeti

Thanks in advance.

I used the Brodit mount for the centre position, but also used a Powerlink adaptor to get power from the fusebox, which is ideal for that:

Powerlink piggyback fuse holder here

Brodit holders here

Looks like this (I might either dab a small drop of clear silicon behind the cable to hold it, or pluck up the courage to pull the silver trim away and tuck it behind there instead. It runs across the steering wheel, above and behind)

30 minute job if it's not cold and raining :giggle:

p850513019-5.jpg

p650685977-5.jpg

p700238727-5.jpg

p627069907-5.jpg

p647097406-5.jpg

Edited by davehutch

I've got mine in a Brodit mount attached to the air vent.

The power cable drops vertically into a 4-way adaptor mounted on the trim next to my left knee.

The adaptor has a plug with a push button on/off switch which plugs into the 12v socket. I've used this setup on previous cars to power satnav, phone and other items. SWMBO can also power her phone too.

Will take some pics if anyone interested?

I've got mine in a Brodit mount attached to the air vent.

The power cable drops vertically into a 4-way adaptor mounted on the trim next to my left knee.

The adaptor has a plug with a push button on/off switch which plugs into the 12v socket. I've used this setup on previous cars to power satnav, phone and other items. SWMBO can also power her phone too.

Will take some pics if anyone interested?

Yes please! :thumbup:

The Broddit Proclip range is the best option. There are three mounting locations for the Yeti, the A pillar, over the air vent and, the one I chose, between the radio and the passenger pocket. This, in my opinion, is the best location as it does not affect the air flow from the vent nor is it isolated on the A pillar ('though this is the best location for permanent wiring.)

If I need to charge my phone, I can connect the in car charger to the power outlet by the gear lever and to the phone and the cable gets in noone's way.

http://lyxus.net/hncy

Brodit do several options for the Yeti - this is for my Garmin ...

Took live feed from fuse box (fuse with fused cable link to extra cig lighter socket which slides though hole @ back of fuse board to void underneath dash top, cable to Brodit mount fed via gap between dash and A pillar - very neat :thumbup:

Changing the subject, I like the 'footprint' sill proctectors in your photos - are they standard Skoda ones ?

Dave - thanks for the link to the Powerlink gizmo. What an elegant solution - when my Road Angel was fitted, the most difficult bit was getting a feed off the back of the fuse box - entailed removing a lot of dash to pass the fuse holder out to the left - in short, not the easiest job.

edit: spelling - oh myemoticon-0124-worried.gif

Edited by roguebrit

Here's my solution to the problem

5404454470_192551e2f5.jpg

5403853233_a6c2b9104c_z.jpg

I've modified to Brodit mount so that I don't have to remove the iPhone from its leather sleeve.

5404455804_9c80420151_z.jpg

This is the Novus Alpha mounted ajacent to the offsdie 'A' Pillar. Its sat on a self-adhesive magnetic pad (Supplied). The power cable runs inside the rubber door seal, then under the drivers seat to the 4-Way adaptor.

5403852813_37c54895b5_z.jpg

The Red coloured button is the on/off switch powering the adaptor.

I find this setup alot more versatile than trying to use one 12v socket and have used it on my A2, a couple of lease cars and now the Yeti.

I wouldn't say this causes too much of a restriction to the air flow, in fact if anything it probably keeps the phone cool.

Hope this gives you some idea's for a solution.

I wouldn't say this causes too much of a restriction to the air flow, in fact if anything it probably keeps the phone cool.

Hope this gives you some idea's for a solution.

Oh yes, I remember, soon after I started using my 1st iPhone 4 it overheated and the screen went dark. As I was using Tom Tom at the time and didn't know where I was going, it was more than a little pain. Took ages to cool downemoticon-0149-no.gif

It has only happened the once.

This was before I collected Elsie.

I use the Columbus now. iphone is a backup.

Mike