Colour Coded Vrs Grill

Hi,

Taken my Black magic VRS to the bodyshop to have a few scratches tidied up today and thought i'd ask the chap if he could colour code my chrome Grill....He told me that he can't do this because it has been chromed...is this the case?

I have seen plenty of VRS's on here with colour coded ones so surely it cannot be that hard?

I didn't want to argue the toss with the bloke as i have seen the quality of the work and some of the cars he has worked on and know he is excellent at what he does!

Can anyone recommend a bodyshop that can do this? i could even post it off as i have a spare! or explain the process of doing it?

Cheers!

Or... Vinyl wrap it.

I have the DI Noc carbon stuff on mine and not a single

mark on it after a year and a half being fitted to the car.

Don't get me wrong, paint looks good but it's a permanent modification

whereas the carbon wrap stuff can be removed if it gets damaged or if you just change your mind.

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

It's not to everybodys taste but I like it and as yet, unlike paint, undamaged by stone chips.

Surprisingly durable stuff. :thumbup:

Edited by grr666

Has anyone used plain black vinyl to wrap their grill? If so how does it look? I'm skint at the moment but really would like a colour coded grill. I've seen 5-7 year grade black gloss vinyl on ebay big enough to do the grill for around a fiver which sounds good to me...

With regards to the front badge, once taken off how are you guys refitting it - does it need to be glued back in place?

Thanks

Marc

Following on from my previous post I decided to wrap mine in gloss black vinyl yesterday. I'll be honest its not the easiest of processes, all credit to these guys that wrap full cars!! Maybe easier in carbon as that looks a little thicker and less likely to crease. Anyhow, it cost me £4.75 delivered off eBay for enough to just about have 2 attempts (luckily!), and you'll need a craft knife or stanley knife, and a hair drier. Its not perfect but for what it cost to do i'm not that bothered if it comes off in a few weeks - it was a learning curve! Pictures are a bit poor i'm afraid due to the weather and time of day - will try and get a better one when it's dry.

Photo0016.jpg

Marc

Looks great mate. :thumbup:

I was thinking of going with that idea next actually.

But I'll wait until the Di Noc gets damaged or tired looking.

Keep us informed on how well it resists stone chips.

Following on from my previous post I decided to wrap mine in gloss black vinyl yesterday. I'll be honest its not the easiest of processes, all credit to these guys that wrap full cars!! Maybe easier in carbon as that looks a little thicker and less likely to crease. Anyhow, it cost me £4.75 delivered off eBay for enough to just about have 2 attempts (luckily!), and you'll need a craft knife or stanley knife, and a hair drier. Its not perfect but for what it cost to do i'm not that bothered if it comes off in a few weeks - it was a learning curve! Pictures are a bit poor i'm afraid due to the weather and time of day - will try and get a better one when it's dry.

Photo0016.jpg

Marc

Nice job. Would you have a link to the stuff you bought?

J

Looks awesome, decided to give it a go myself.

Having said that, I've just ordered 2 metres of the stuff cos I'm a clumsy bugger so should have enough for 4 attempts with maybe even a bit left over.

Any guides on how to apply it? How do you make it fit round all the contours of the grille?! Does it shrink-to-fit with heat?

Have a search on YouTube for vinyl wrapping to get a general idea that's what I did. Take your time and just work your way round bit by bit. If it goes on wrong just pull it up and try again. Using the hairdryer makes it nice and soft and stretchy so good for corners... Don't hold the heat on too long tho, goes soft in seconds! I got to one point near the end where I had no chance of having no creases without cutting and overlapping but it's barely noticeable just like a hairline scratch. Someone with more experience will probably have much better hints and tips as obviously this was my first time and I'd not done anything like it before.

Good luck.

Marc

Marc, any chance of a couple of close up pics

They're not very good i'm afraid due to my poor cam but here you go. Oh and I haven't a clue how the grill got snapped near the VRS badge - it was like that when I bought it so not my doing!! :)

Photo0018.jpg

Photo0017.jpg

Photo0019.jpg

Hope this helps.

Marc

Just found THIS

Seems great value for money to me. Also available in Blue, Yellow and Red. :thumbup:

Hope it's some use to somebody :smirk:

That's exactly the one I bought.

Hopefully with 2m of the stuff, there will be enough if I **** it up the first attempt.

Hi Matt, I worked my way round from top to bottom, but unfortunately when I got the the last bid which was the centre of the bottom half there was just too much vinyl left gathered together so I had no option other than to nearly cut and overlap... It's barely noticeable though, just like a hair line scratch. You may have a better way around it though and manage with no breaks.

Marc