Air Leak From Pipe At Front Of The Engine.

AndyKH

Hi Everyone. A while ago a warning light came on on my dash. After having a chap look at my car he found I had an air leak from a rubber pipe at the front of the engine. Is this a common problem and can anyone tell me which part it is? ( i know its a bit vague anbd a long shot, but I thought it'd be worth a try.)

Wow, that sounds like the culprit. When you say the car ran badly, what were the symptoms?

The car was very jerky at gear changes and when first started up it would rev higher than normal, also the fault codes were 17705 and 17544 I think.

Brilliant Tommy, it seems after a bit of research that this is a very common problem. Just need to make sure it is this pipe before I order the awesome silicone replacements.

• 2 weeks later...

The car was very jerky at gear changes and when first started up it would rev higher than normal, also the fault codes were 17705 and 17544 I think.

how high was the revs on start up?

my car has a boost problem and when i start up in revs to 15000 and dies down to just under 10000 after a few seconds

how high was the revs on start up?

my car has a boost problem and when i start up in revs to 15000 and dies down to just under 10000 after a few seconds

Mine was similar to that, went up to about 15000 then once the secondary air pump stopped (1 minute after start up) it fell to about 10000 so it sounds like you could have the same split pipe as me.

HTH :thumbup:

Edited by TommyJ_VrS

Mine was similar to that, went up to about 15000 then once the secondary air pump stopped (1 minute after start up) it fell to about 10000 so it sounds like you could have the same split pipe as me.

HTH :thumbup:

yes it does sound like ive got the same problem.

i will have a look later on this eveing

thanks in advance

Hi guys, I replaced the pipe, it was completely ripped in two! The car now runs much much better and is better on fuel. I'd forgotten how well the car ran as i'd had the problem for about 1 year!!!!!

Just a little heads up, I didn't want the pipe to split again so ordered the silicone replacement from Awesome for £75. I know it's alot but thought if it saves buying another it'd be worth it in the long run. Anyway, I was browsing ebay and came accross this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160538761644&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Exactly the same thing, but as you can see, much much cheaper! I quickly sent the Awesome one back and ordered this one, I did have them both side by side though and the quality was no worse. How Awesome can charge so much is beyond me, complete rip off.

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken them off but it's further underneath then the plastic covers,didn't know if I could view it from under the car or by feel?it's a tightly packed engine bay

i looked at my pipe today and its the same as yours,i can feel a split underneath the plastic strap holding the 2 pipes together,

i removed the 2 allen bolts off the intake manifold to feel about.

i will order the same pipe as you have linked to off ebay tomorrow.