CFB

68 members have voted

1. 1. do you have it and do you use a jet wash

• YES, regularly JETWASHED
    • NO, regularly JETWASHED
    • YES, NEVER jetwashed
    • NO, NEVER jetwashed

just curious.

my 7 1/2 month old harry has it quite badly and i do use a jetwash every time i wash him.

either at home or when i take him to the local hand car wash.

i'm not sure it has a bearing on the problem but i suspect it might.

I jet wash too - and have the discoloration on the rear badge, at present. I take care to use fairly moderate pressure, and not to dwell on features like that - if this is causing the problem with the badge - it shouldn't be! IMO, of course. And using a low power jet wash is a normal part of car cleaning, and if the Skoda badge can't cope with it - they better change the badge, I think.

Took the Yeti to show the dealer and they will replace the rear badge, the front is fine for now. Never jet washed. Probably a bad batch of badges from around May 2010. Only thing faulty so far.

well from the replies so far it would seem that jetwashing isn't the cause so i'm off to the dealer on friday to ask for a new badge.

thanx for your help chaps

Anyone by any chance taken a photo of their badge with the whiteness?

Just curious...

not yet, but if the light is good on friday i will.

unless someone beats me to it?

I noticed it on SWMBO's Yeti when cleaning it (by hand, I add) Sunday. Not acceptable on a car that is less than 6 months old.

Will be demanding a replacement badge ASAP.

Hi James just taken a picture of my tail gate badge with a little white worm in it. not to worried about it on this one as it will be going when my new one finally gets built

post-52230-0-44895500-1298737535_thumb.jpg

post-52230-0-06246500-1298737562_thumb.jpg

I hadn't noticed the badge worm until I saw it on the forum. My tailgate badge is so bad the clear varnish is about to come off if I touch it. A friend has a Beetle and it has done the same on the VW badge. Does anyone know if SUK has acknowledged this as a problem? How easy are the badges to change?

How odd. Never seen that before. Have checked a few of our late used cars and they don't seem have any issues. I will keep an eye out. Has anyone already spoken to a warranty department about them?

This is a common problem on various makes of cars, but not usually on such new vehicles. It is caused by water getting between the clear plastic face of the badge and the silvering of the emblem behind. Once it starts, capillary action takes over and there's nothing that can be done other than replacing the badge - or putting up with it.

I'm not sure if Skoda badges are still made this way, but the silvering used to be vacuum plated onto a flat metallic film, overprinted with whatever colour was required for the emblem, and then the transparent plastic face either stuck on or moulded on. If the perimeter doesn't stick well, then water will get in. I rather suspect that a similar process is still used, but everything is now vacuum plated directly onto the back of the transparent plastic badge itself.

And, sorrry everyone who uses a pressure wash, cars are not designed to be pressure washed on a regular basis, particularly when new. The intense water pressure will dull the paint finish in time, particularly with today's water based finishes. It will also pretty quickly remove any polish or paint protection that you have applied (eg Autoglym life shine).

Above all, the water jet must never be pointed directly at your tyres at close range, all tyre manufacturers advise strongly not to do so.

An occasional pressure wash of your pride & joy is probably OK, but regular use is not recommended!

Edited by speedsport

This is a common problem on various makes of cars, but not usually on such new vehicles. It is caused by water getting between the clear plastic face of the badge and the silvering of the emblem behind. Once it starts, capillary action takes over and there's nothing that can be done other than replacing the badge - or putting up with it.

I'm not sure if Skoda badges are still made this way, but the silvering used to be vacuum plated onto a flat metallic film, overprinted with whatever colour was required for the emblem, and then the transparent plastic face either stuck on or moulded on. If the perimeter doesn't stick well, then water will get in. I rather suspect that a similar process is still used, but everything is now vacuum plated directly onto the back of the transparent plastic badge itself.

And, sorrry everyone who uses a pressure wash, cars are not designed to be pressure washed on a regular basis, particularly when new. The intense water pressure will dull the paint finish in time, particularly with today's water based finishes. It will also pretty quickly remove any polish or paint protection that you have applied (eg Autoglym life shine).

Above all, the water jet must never be pointed directly at your tyres at close range, all tyre manufacturers advise strongly not to do so.

An occasional pressure wash of your pride & joy is probably OK, but regular use is not recommended!

Also important NEVER to pressure-wash parking aid sensors and best to avoid lock areas too.

• 3 weeks later...

Ours is fine after 6 months.

Never jet washed, but then it's only been washed (by hand, by me) three times anyway as it's only done 1,400 miles.

I take it back.

1700 miles, 6.5 months old... white worm has started. :o

Only washed the car by hand four times!

Washed mine again today (April 2010 car, 13,000 miles) and noticed the rear badge is a right state! Worse than posted one so far. I'll probably put it in for another oil change after it's completed a couple more thousand miles so I'll mention it to the dealer then. :-)

Never pressure washed my 5 month old Yeti, only washed by hand, and I have the same problem. poped into underwoods colchester, they took photo. But as I pointed out, half the cars on there fourcourt had the same problem. but they seemed not to have noticed. Hopefully they will sort it out with no fuss.

I've got it front and rear. Only been washed four times in 8 months using a pressure washer from a distance. To be honest you have to look close to see it so I'm really not bothered about it.

Stewart

• 2 months later...

All Skodas suffer with this, I have had all my center caps and rear badge replaced under warranty, I snow foam and pressure wash after, but at a distance and not directly on. Many people have had this who only use a garden hose. Neighbour has just had both badges and center caps replaced on Friday, although When he got back I noticed they had dented his boot near badge! He is going back on Monday for them to sort that :thumbup:

had mine replaced, under warranty, on saturday. just enough time to drink the coffee they made me while i waited.

thanx palmers :thumbup: