Stone in brakes

I have a Skoda Octavia Scout 1.9 tdi, '57 plate. It has done only 28 K miles. I bought it second hand from a dealer in Glasgow. The problem is it picks up stones between the rear disc brakes and the plate behind that. This sounds like a screaming metal on metal noise. It has been in at the garage twice this month to have these removed.Has any body else experienced this problem?

The garage removed the stone on both occassions, but this is supposed to be a bit more rugged a vehicle that can cope with more than a few stones on the road. Is there a problem with the rear brakes? Wheels? area that the garage are not investigating properly?

Thank you for any response on this.

Same thing happened to me. Fortunately the stone removed itself but the noise was awful - I thought there was something seriously wrong..

Edited by Ciderspace

Not on a Scout, but I've had it from time to time with other cars (variety of makes and models). It's just bad luck really that you're meeting the right (wrong?) size of stone at the right (wrong?) angle for them to get into the disc to dust shield gap regularly.

You can get them out yourself by taking the wheel off and flexing the dust shield, but every time it happens, even if the stone comes out by itself Ciderspace, there's a chance of it scoring the disc, which means new discs and pads at that end.

Yup sounds like Satan's nails down a blackboard.

All the grit left on the roads after winter isn't helping.

I've had it twice, sorted once by flicking it out with a screwdriver and the other time by giving the car some welly in reverse on a quiet road.

Thanks for the updates. I have tried the fast reverse technique before. That does clear it for a bit. Will find a quiet road on way home tonight and try this.

Never had this on any other vehicle

Had this a couple of times on my previous vRS. It was prone to picking up the small gravel that the Caravan Club use on the hard standing pitches on many of their sites.

A bit of pulling forward, then reversing does the trick. Have to admit it was very alarming the first time it happened.

Not had it with the new vRS.

Have had it once on my vRS - sounded absolutely horrendous - high pitched metallic squealing! I thought it was going to be a wheel and brake discs off job, but fortunately a mechanic friend of mine managed to get the stone out by reaching through the gaps on the alloy wheel and pressing gently on the metal shield on the inner side of the brakes. It's worth a try as only takes a few seconds and the stone just dropped into his hand!

On a previous (non skoda) car I had this problem and had to have the wheel and brake pads off to free up the stone. The do generally clear by themselves, but if one gets wedged (as mine did) it can score and damage the brake discs. Don't drive for too long with stones stuck, and if it does happen make sure you keep an eye on the discs and look for scoring.

Had this on my Octavia last June whilst on hols near Brighton (I live in Jersey) got it fixed by a major tyre company who fixed it for free!

I was very impress by the tyre co.

Never had this on any other cars that I have had, the stone was in the front offside.