RNS510 / Columbus Questions

I have tried to search for the answers and have actually found some on another VW site (the search function on brisky could do with improving). So I thought i'd post the same questions on here for future reference.

1. How do you find out which map version you have installed?

2. How do you find out which firmware version you have?

3. How do you activate the "secret" menu?

For reference you access it by holding down the setup button. After a while the radio menu comes up, continue to hold the button and if activated the "secret" menu should appear.

4. What is the procedure/confirmation for installing new maps?

5. What is the procedure/confirmation for installing new firmware?

Here is what I have found so far: (I will update the first post with the answers as and when they are suggested)

1. I think this can be achieved by using the secret menu. T.B.C

2. I think this can be achieved by using the secret menu. T.B.C

3. I dont know and my "secret menu" doesnt come up.

4. I put in the disk with v7 maps and the unit asked if I wanted to save the disc to HDD or use from the disk. I opted for save to HDD and went for a drive. I was told this would take around 45-60 mins. I waited for well over an hour but no further message appeared to confirm installation had been successful. How do you know the maps have loaded?

5. I downloaded a copy of firmware 2760.rar. Downloaded winrar and opened the folder. When you download a firmware you will be presented with an image file. You have to create a disc from that image. If you just copy the files to DVD then the MFD3 won't read them. Easiest way to do this is right click the image file (will be a .iso or .nrg file usually) then select open with and choose your burning program. This will open it in the correct method for burning. Burn it to disc as slow as possible and you should then be fine. Insert the disc in the unit and the message "reading disc" will be displayed. See update below for more info.

I was told the best way to install the firmware was as follows:

Unlock the car

Dont start the car

Turn the unit on

Insert the disc

If anyone can confirm the procedures and the messages that should be desiplayed I think it will be a useful reference for everyone trying to update their units.

Update: When you load the cd/dvd in the unit following the procedure above a message will appear on the screen saying reading data and then a further message about accessing SWL data will appear. After a short moment the menu to complete the upgrade will appear. Further information and instructions will be displayed. Basically if the disc is going to load you will know about it. If nothing happens the unit will not update. The whole thing is nerve racking for a 1st timer as the unit keeps switching off (with loud "pop" noises) and on and seems to take forever including at some stages looking like it has froze/crashed. Just be patient and it will complete the update. At the end a message will be displayed to say it has been successful and it will reboot. Mine never came back on and I left it for a while. Then I turned it on and everything seemed to fire up no problem. I would say the firmware update took around 45 mins.

All suggestions are welcome and I will update the post accordingly. It must be acknowledged that all the comments are based on other peoples experience and best practice. Risk is involved in performing the updates yourself and if any any doubt you should contact your dealer to perform any updates.

Thanks in advance.

LINKS:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/161413-volkswagen-rns-510-beta-firmware-version-2760-2762-2764-2766-2768/

http://www.my-gti.com/category/in-car-entertainment/rns-510-in-car-entertainment

http://www.my-gti.com/2291/volkswagen-rns-510-firmware-upgrade-to-version-2760-2762-2764-2766-2768

http://www.my-gti.com/497/volkswagen-rns-510-firmware-upgrade-to-version-1100

Still havent got any more answers to add.

Apart from you should get more messages/prompts on the screen when you try to load the firmware.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a working copy of the latest firmware(2760)?

Edited by octimark

• 2 weeks later...

Try here http://www.my-gti.co...-2764-2766-2768 this is where I used to get my updates from.

The firmware should be burnt to a cd not a dvd.Burn using Imgburn at the lowest speed you can.

The secret menu has to be coded by vcds to be able to acess it.

Using VCDS/VAGCOM open the 37 – Navigation and adaption channel 50, enter 1 into the value field and save. Power on unit and hold the setup button for around 15 seconds when the Skoda logo appears on the screen.

If i recall if you try to eject the map DVD before it is loaded it tells you that it hasnt finished.

Edited by flamazine

Thanks for the reply.

I've managed to code the columbus to access the secrect menu :thumbup:

The problem I'm having with the firmware is i've already downloaded the latest version (2760) and tried saving the files to both DVD and CD but for some reason they wont load on to the columbus unit. Which means i'm not buring the disc correctly but I dont know what i'm doing wrong :S

Thanks for the link.

Tried it again last night and it still wont load. It's defo something to do with the way i'm buring the disc (I think) :doh:

I will try a different brand. It could be the problem but I think it might be the software/the way i'm buring the files to disc :wonder:

Google Imgburn works for everything i do and its free

I've had nothing but trouble buring the files to disc. Everything i've tried so far hasnt worked but I'm going to keep going till I figure out why :D

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys,

this post is great and has got lots of useful links, iam afraid i'll have to talk a bit stone age now, ive just got my hands on a modest priced columbus unit, my octavia is 2006 face lift model. the software version on the unit is 1004 which after reading ur post seems to be developed by faroes.

now being honest my quetion is simple, is my work really cut out on the whole update scene, do i really need one, and at what point would i need to fiddle with the can bus,,

off course like everyone else i would like the unit to be all modern and tip top BUT how far can i push it with my car and unit in mind.

thanks everyone

naj

Hi najone,

Hopefully the info in the posts gets updated so it can be useful to anyone doing a serach.

I would say the first thing to do is VCDS scan your car and find out which CAN gateway you are running. This will then allow you to upgrade to the latest firmware version possible depending on any battery drain issues. Expect to pay around £150 + to upgrade your can gateway if you want piece of mind about battery drain issues. Otherwise work backwards from what the latest firmware you can install without causing battery drain is.

As for the maps. You can run any version on any firmware. E.G. you could run V7 maps on your current firmware. If you want to use all the features on the latest map version you obviously need to upgrade your firmware.

So in summary you will still have a great OEM piece of kit that you can use without any hassle or worry as it is.

As you said if you want the best of the best and be as up to date as possible you have to at least expect to ugrade the CAN gateway and get hold of the latest firmware and maps. If you dont need to upgrade the CAN then thats an added bonus.

Hope that helps a little B)

To try and answer some questions

To access hidden menu you need to use a modified firmware or use VCDS

To find out map version it's in the hidden menu as is the firmware version

When you download a firmware you will be presented with an image file. You have to create a disc from that image. If you just copy the files to DVD then the MFD3 won't read them. Easiest way to do this is right click the image file (will be a .iso or .nrg file usually) then select open with and choose your burning program. This will open it in the correct method for burning. Burn it to disc as slow as possible and you should then be fine.

Put it in the nav using the instructions you have above just remember do not put the keys in the ignition. Follow the on screen prompts. If you get stuck look at the tutorial I did on Mk5gti that flamazine linked above.

If you have a car that is Pre-Mar 07 then you will have to upgrade the can-gateway if you go above firmware 110X.

For maps you need to be going on a long drive as they take about 50mins or so to load. Just put the DVD in the drive follow the onscreen prompts and save to HDD when asked. After this wait about 5 mins and press eject. You will be given a progress bar and 3 options. Press "notify" and the disc will tell you when it's finished. Be aware with V7 maps some people have had to leave the disc in for a couple of days to get it to load. The reason for this is if the voltage drops below a certain level it stops saving to HDD until it goes up again and then it resumes where it left off.

HTH

Carl :thumbup:

I've had nothing but trouble buring the files to disc. Everything i've tried so far hasnt worked but I'm going to keep going till I figure out why :D

I found DVDs didn't like me at all. Try FUJIFILM or MEMOREX CDs'.