Caparo Rightfuel

I've got a 2009 FL 1.9PD TDi, and I've been looking on the web at reviews of various diesel misfuelling prevention devices. These usually take the form of a sort of trick fuel cap that screws in place of the standard one. The Caparo Rightfuel looks like a good bet, as it is vented, and claims to make it impossible to insert the petrol filler nozzle even a short way into the filler neck. It is also listed as suitable for the Octavia 2 (not all of them are).

Has anyone had experience fitting and using this particular gizzmo, or experience of any of the other misfuelling prevention devices? On the face of it, it seems like a good case of prevention being better than cure, or are they more trouble than they are worth? If they are so useful, why don't they come as standard on the Octy? I think Ford fit something similar on their diesel vans.

Yes I've got a Caparo on my Octy.

It does not work.

The problem is that the Octy II appears to have guide splines in the filler tube in the vehicle. You need to be able to push the pump nozzle pass these guide splines until it is fully in.

The Caparo raises the height of the neck of the filler tube so preventing a pump nozzle from going fully into the tank filler tube. The result is that you cannot reliably fill the tank past about 1/4 full - it seems to depend upon the sensitivity of the cut out on the particular filler pump being used. In my case it works on the BP station pumps (sometimes)but never at the local Tesco station.

The probelsm appears to be that the pressure from the tank blows air back if you do not have the filler nozzle fully inserted into the car, and the result is that the safety cut out prevents the filler working. I have had emails with Caparo about this and they have refunded my money. I tried everything to get it to work, but the tank only fills reliably if the Caparo is absent.

I might add that I have had extensive email conversations with some rival vendors seeking an alternative, and they either don't recommend their product for an Octy2 or else have acknowledged degrees of difficulty. The manufacturers of a rival device that has Thatcham approval is in fact working on a specific version for the octy 2, but they could not give me an availability date.

From my experiences I would strongly advise avoiding the Caparo.

I've got the http://www.stopdieselmisfuelling.co.uk/ Surefuel cap fitted like Dekka and Niknak but so far I have had the same problem as Minimoke and his Caparo fuel cap in that I couldn't get the tank to fill above about 3 quarters full until trying the 3rd petrol station in my area. Again I think the issue is not being able to insert the fuel nozzle fully into the filler neck.