Test Drive Yeti Greenline

Old Jack Russell

I have been lucky in having the use of a new (60 plate) Yeti Greenline Elegance 1.6tdi over the past 3 days, sadly it's going back to Skoda UK tomorrow. Having tried a 1.2 petrol SE (manual) last week I am definately sold on the more flexible Greenline. Don't get me wrong the 1.2 is a very good lively car but the diesel is far more forgiving and that long fifth gear is just perfect for motorway cruising. I managed to get about 54 mpg from a run up the M40 between 70 & 80 and a bit of town driving either end which I didn't think was too bad for a new car that was not yet loosened up. The 16 inch Moon's set the car off a treat.

My order has gone in to LexAutolease today without any hesitation

I have been lucky in having the use of a new (60 plate) Yeti Greenline Elegance 1.6tdi over the past 3 days, sadly it's going back to Skoda UK tomorrow. Having tried a 1.2 petrol SE (manual) last week I am definately sold on the more flexible Greenline. Don't get me wrong the 1.2 is a very good lively car but the diesel is far more forgiving and that long fifth gear is just perfect for motorway cruising. I managed to get about 54 mpg from a run up the M40 between 70 & 80 and a bit of town driving either end which I didn't think was too bad for a new car that was not yet loosened up. The 16 inch Moon's set the car off a treat.

My order has gone in to LexAutolease today without any hesitation

Thanks for the post, just wondering about noise level, is it quieter than the 1.2? I had a 1.6 TDI Golf for a few days and it was quieter than my 1.2, just wondering if it was the tires or the actual engine?

Thanks for the post, just wondering about noise level, is it quieter than the 1.2? I had a 1.6 TDI Golf for a few days and it was quieter than my 1.2, just wondering if it was the tires or the actual engine?

I didn't notice any difference in noise level between the 1.2TSI and the 1.6Tdi, if anything I found the 1.6Tdi to be more more refined. The road surface had the biggest effect on noise. Having driven both cars over the same roads I found both were susceptible to road/tyre noise over the same surface, concrete being the worst but then all cars would suffer. Both cars were not as quiet as my current Volvo V50 2.0TDI.

I noticed cornering was not quite as sharp in the 1.6Tdi but then I would expect that to be the case on the narrower and taller 16" tyres, unless you are going to thrash the car around corners I don't see that as an issue. I see the benefits of the 16" tyres/wheels easily outway the disadvantages. I was also pleseantly surprised that there was no noticeable effect from the strong cross winds on the motorway yesterday, the Yeti remained very stable, could this be due to the lower ride height?

The only critism of the Yeti I could make (or more precisely, 'her in doors' could make) is that we find neither the cloth or leather seats with lumber support are as comfortable as the V50, but then again Volvo are renowned for their seating.

So it's the Yeti Greenline 1.6TDI Elegance in Muscovardo, gobi leather, tyre pressure monitor and silver rails. How long I got to wait is anyones guess!

Useful stuff - thanks old Jack. I was sold on the Greenline, as I have a SUPERb Greenline and love it - the economy benefits, plus driving a "green" car means it is a winning package. Couple this to the fact that Greenline IIs are available in other trim levels than S and a half (like mine was) is brilliant.

I should add, it's always difficult to tel lif you've done the right thing, as test driving a Elegance CR 170 4x4 (as I havE) may not give the best feel for the Greenline. But then I ordered a 1.4 TSI Superb S, having test driven a Superb Elegance 140 DSG and an Octavia 1.4TSI for engine comparison and then ended up with a Greenline when the order ballsed up on delivery dates!

I'm afraid that unless you get another Volvo or a Saab then no seats will match up to your current car. You will have to accept that and move on. I came from an S40 and I do miss those seats. The rest of the car makes up for it though.

Very valid point about the wind and lack of effect. It was very blowy up here yesterday and it genuinely has minimal effect despite the shape of the car. Very surprising and also pleasing.

The only critism of the Yeti I could make (or more precisely, 'her in doors' could make) is that we find neither the cloth or leather seats with lumber support are as comfortable as the V50, but then again Volvo are renowned for their seating.

It won't help for "her indoors" seat as you can't get the option for the passenger seat, but the electric driver's seat offers a LOT more seating positions. The base can be altered in height independently front and back and the lumbar support can be controlled in and out as well as up and down. So try an electric seat before deciding.

It won't help for "her indoors" seat as you can't get the option for the passenger seat, but the electric driver's seat offers a LOT more seating positions. The base can be altered in height independently front and back and the lumbar support can be controlled in and out as well as up and down. So try an electric seat before deciding.

Is that only available as an extra on the Elegance?

Is that only available as an extra on the Elegance?

Ah yes I should have stated that as well: only available as an option on the Elegance (for whatever bizzare reason!)

If you're going to spec your SE with leather and then look to get electric seats, you may as well go Elegance and get leather chucked in. I think leather is a £1400 option on SE, the difference in price is about £2000. You get the leather seats, better stereo, xenons etc.

I was looking SE and was trying to find reasons not to hop up a spec, but then my wife and I test drove the Eelgance deomnstrator and she "really liekd the leather seats"...spec hop done!

If you're going to spec your SE with leather and then look to get electric seats, you may as well go Elegance and get leather chucked in. I think leather is a £1400 option on SE, the difference in price is about £2000. You get the leather seats, better stereo, xenons etc.

I was looking SE and was trying to find reasons not to hop up a spec, but then my wife and I test drove the Eelgance deomnstrator and she "really liekd the leather seats"...spec hop done!

Ha.. my wife is the same.. I like the leather seats.. I want them.. Don't really care about the engine..

I noticed cornering was not quite as sharp in the 1.6Tdi
I would imagine the weight of the engine would effect this as well, about 85kg (13 stone 5.4 pounds in old money) difference over the front wheels.

I would imagine the weight of the engine would effect this as well, about 85kg (13 stone 5.4 pounds in old money) difference over the front wheels.

I expect that is due to the low resistance tyres which are a bit thinner than usual.

I'm thinking of getting a Greenline too.

How did you find the start/stop feature - and can you confirm that the UK spec of the Greenline Yeti has the button to switch it on and off like the continental spec?

• 2 weeks later...

I'M LOVING HER!!! She is not perfect, but that does not matter because love is unconditional :)

I have done 500Km with my Yeti Greenline during the first week and here is what I think:

1. Start-stop is awesome! My dealer test drove the car and said that everything was working fine, but he could not get the Start/Stop to kick in. He said maybe the engine has not reached required temperature... After I left the dealership in my new car, at the first traffic light the engine stopped. "Oh sh$%%!! Its broken!!" I thought, and then it dawned on me: It’s a feature, not a bug :)) One week passed and I still find Start/Stop hugely amusing :) I still anticipate the moments when I would stop at a traffic light, switch to neutral, release the clutch pedal and the engine will go quiet :) Then as soon as you press the clutch, the engine will start instantly. No delay, no inconvenience, really smooth. It does not shut off always. There is some fuzzy logic behind it. I think if you do too much start and stop driving, it will keep the engine running in order not to drain the battery with frequent starts. And there is a button that you can use to turn this feature off any time. Also if you are stopping just for a brief moment, do not release the clutch pedal and the engine will keep running. 5-stars for this feature!

2. Computer shows fuel consumption around 5.6L/100Km (50%city/50%highway). My previous cars were Honda Civic 1.7L, Nissan Pathfinder 3.2L, Golf Cabrio 2.0L, and Peugeot 406 coupe 2.0L, all benzine, so I am enjoying savings already and I hope they will get better as time goes on.

3. It is really fun to drive around town: you are a bit higher than other drivers, there is plenty of torque, and the car sticks to the road really well. If you compare it to Pathfinder, Yeti is much smoother and feels much more like a car, rather than a truck, but it does not absorb bumps as well as Peugeot 406, probably because the distance between the front and rear wheels is shorter.

4. The 1.6L TDI is perfectly adequate for city driving. I switched back and forth between Yeti and 2.0L Peugeot several times and did not feel any lack of acceleration in Yeti. I am not a crazy driver and do not floor the accelerator, but sometimes I like to zip between lanes trying to get ahead. This 1.6L diesel has enough torque to have some fun on the road. The computer helps to keep ones feelings under control showing that momentary consumption jumps to 20-30 liters per 100km :))) When the car is loaded with 4 adults and some luggage it becomes less snappy and you do have to plan before overtaking, however it is not a problem since 99% of the time I drive alone and in a city.

5. Somebody in the forum said that this 1.6TDI is as quiet and refined as 1.2TSI. I remember the person saying he did not find diesel any louder. That is NOT true. It is a diesel engine and it sounds like a diesel. If you are coming from a benzine powered car, you will feel and hear the difference. It is not bad and I believe it is much more refined than old technology diesel engines. It is my first diesel and it was very easy to get used to the sound. Having that said, I am very happy I did not spend extra money on upgrading stereo from the basic one. Skoda is an economy car, so its sound isolation is not perfect. When you add a diesel engine, the noise is strong enough to reduce the benefits of high-end audio equipment.

6. Greenline model has smaller tires and this is immediately visible. The wheels look as if they are one size too small. This was confirmed separately by 3 of my friends already. As soon as they saw the car, they commented that the wheels looked unproportionally small, compared to the vehicle and the arches. I did not tell them anything about it in advance :). Smaller size was picked on purpose in order to improve fuel economy, but it also affects apperance… I already got used to it and do not notice the problem any more, but as soon as the factory tires are finished I will get slightly bigger ones.

7. Gears feel a bit funny: computer tells me NOT to shift to 2nd until I reach around 18km/h, while I am used to shift into 2nd as soon as the car starts moving. At around 47-50km/h computer tells to shift to the 4th. However when in 4th, there is a bit of vibration and it feels like the car struggles . If you stay in the 3rd gear till you reach 55-60km/h, it feels much more pleasant. This is a bit annoying, because city speed limit is 50km/h, which is right on the border between the 3rd and 4th gears.

8. Not allowing the option of spare wheel in Greenline is crazy. I already ordered all the necessary spare wheel parts from the dealer separately. I do realize that flat tires happen very rarely and significant amount of energy can be saved by not transporting spare wheel all the time. However I cannot live with the idea that I may end up in some deserted place with a flat tire and dead mobile phone :) Pumping slime into flat tire and hoping it would help, does not make me feel any better.

So she is perfect, with just a few minor imperfections :) Would I buy it again? Yes, definitely, of course! It was worth to wait 6 months :) However if we decide to have the second kid, I'll probably get Octavia Combi with 140bhp for family weekend trips.

My Greenline specs: Ambition trim, Metalic Orange Tangerine (Looks perfect on Yeti! Everyone comments that the color is beautiful), rear side airbags, double sun shades, factory alarm, heated "sprinklers", tinted rear windows, extra 4 speakers in the rear, tire pressure monitor, lights assistant.

Edited by Mr. Z

I'M LOVING HER!!! She is not perfect, but that does not matter because love is unconditional :)

I have done 500Km with my Yeti Greenline during the first week and here is what I think:

1. Start-stop is awesome! My dealer test drove the car and said that everything was working fine, but he could not get the Start/Stop to kick in. He said maybe the engine has not reached required temperature... After I left the dealership in my new car, at the first traffic light the engine stopped. "Oh sh$%%!! Its broken!!" I thought, and then it dawned on me: It’s a feature, not a bug :)) One week passed and I still find Start/Stop hugely amusing :) I still anticipate the moments when I would stop at a traffic light, switch to neutral, release the clutch pedal and the engine will go quiet :) Then as soon as you press the clutch, the engine will start instantly. No delay, no inconvenience, really smooth. It does not shut off always. There is some fuzzy logic behind it. I think if you do too much start and stop driving, it will keep the engine running in order not to drain the battery with frequent starts. And there is a button that you can use to turn this feature off any time. Also if you are stopping just for a brief moment, do not release the clutch pedal and the engine will keep running. 5-stars for this feature!

2. Computer shows fuel consumption around 5.6L/100Km (50%city/50%highway). My previous cars were Honda Civic 1.7L, Nissan Pathfinder 3.2L, Golf Cabrio 2.0L, and Peugeot 406 coupe 2.0L, all benzine, so I am enjoying savings already and I hope they will get better as time goes on.

3. It is really fun to drive around town: you are a bit higher than other drivers, there is plenty of torque, and the car sticks to the road really well. If you compare it to Pathfinder, Yeti is much smoother and feels much more like a car, rather than a truck, but it does not absorb bumps as well as Peugeot 406, probably because the distance between the front and rear wheels is shorter.

4. The 1.6L TDI is perfectly adequate for city driving. I switched back and forth between Yeti and 2.0L Peugeot several times and did not feel any lack of acceleration in Yeti. I am not a crazy driver and do not floor the accelerator, but sometimes I like to zip between lanes trying to get ahead. This 1.6L diesel has enough torque to have some fun on the road. The computer helps to keep ones feelings under control showing that momentary consumption jumps to 20-30 liters per 100km :))) When the car is loaded with 4 adults and some luggage it becomes less snappy and you do have to plan before overtaking, however it is not a problem since 99% of the time I drive alone and in a city.

5. Somebody in the forum said that this 1.6TDI is as quiet and refined as 1.2TSI. I remember the person saying he did not find diesel any louder. That is NOT true. It is a diesel engine and it sounds like a diesel. If you are coming from a benzine powered car, you will feel and hear the difference. It is not bad and I believe it is much more refined than old technology diesel engines. It is my first diesel and it was very easy to get used to the sound. Having that said, I am very happy I did not spend extra money on upgrading stereo from the basic one. Skoda is an economy car, so its sound isolation is not perfect. When you add a diesel engine, the noise is strong enough to reduce the benefits of high-end audio equipment.

6. Greenline model has smaller tires and this is immediately visible. The wheels look as if they are one size too small. This was confirmed separately by 3 of my friends already. As soon as they saw the car, they commented that the wheels looked unproportionally small, compared to the vehicle and the arches. I did not tell them anything about it in advance :). Smaller size was picked on purpose in order to improve fuel economy, but it also affects apperance… I already got used to it and do not notice the problem any more, but as soon as the factory tires are finished I will get slightly bigger ones.

7. Gears feel a bit funny: computer tells me NOT to shift to 2nd until I reach around 18km/h, while I am used to shift into 2nd as soon as the car starts moving. At around 47-50km/h computer tells to shift to the 4th. However when in 4th, there is a bit of vibration and it feels like the car struggles . If you stay in the 3rd gear till you reach 55-60km/h, it feels much more pleasant. This is a bit annoying, because city speed limit is 50km/h, which is right on the border between the 3rd and 4th gears.

8. Not allowing the option of spare wheel in Greenline is crazy. I already ordered all the necessary spare wheel parts from the dealer separately. I do realize that flat tires happen very rarely and significant amount of energy can be saved by not transporting spare wheel all the time. However I cannot live with the idea that I may end up in some deserted place with a flat tire and dead mobile phone :) Pumping slime into flat tire and hoping it would help, does not make me feel any better.

So she is perfect, with just a few minor imperfections :) Would I buy it again? Yes, definitely, of course! It was worth to wait 6 months :) However if we decide to have the second kid, I'll probably get Octavia Combi with 140bhp for family weekend trips.

My Greenline specs: Ambition trim, Metalic Orange Tangerine (Looks perfect on Yeti! Everyone comments that the color is beautiful), rear side airbags, double sun shades, factory alarm, heated "sprinklers", tinted rear windows, extra 4 speakers in the rear, tire pressure monitor, lights assistant.

Excellent Post Mr Z.(I wish I had heated "sprinklers"):yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Both cars were not as quiet as my current Volvo V50 2.0TDI.

Those are interesting observations, and show how subjective impressions of cars are. I traded my previous Volvo V50 2.0D (SE) for my Yeti 2.0 TDI CR170 Elegance. I drive in excess of 25k miles a year, including a couple of 1800 mile round trips across France each year.

I find the Yeti significantly more comfortable to sit in than the Volvo (the Volvo seats were not long enough and failed to support me under my lower thighs/knees). The engine noise from the Yeti is significantly less; the CR engine is much more refined - the Peugeot sourced engine in the Volvo sounded like a taxi at tickover and was irritatingly loud at speed. There seems marginally more tyre noise on some roads from the Yeti, but I think that's just because the engine is so quiet I can actually hear the tyres; the Volvo engine noise drowned the tyre noise. Driving across France was less tiring in the Yeti - we needed fewer and briefer rest stops.

The only thing I miss about the Volvo is that it had electric seats in which mine and SWMBO favourite seating position was stored - and I don't have those on my Yeti (I know others have chosen this option - bt it was a standard feature of the Volvo)

The only thing I miss about the Volvo is that it had electric seats in which mine and SWMBO favourite seating position was stored - and I don't have those on my Yeti (I know others have chosen this option - bt it was a standard feature of the Volvo)

The most comfortable seats in a Yeti are the electric ones. They have more adjustment than the standard chairs (independent up and down of the front and back of the seat base) and the lumber suport can move up and down by about 150mm and in and out by about 50. So lots of options AND it saves the settings to each key! Brilliant. A very worthwile option this if you want the most comfortable seat and/or have more than one regular driver.

As to the Greenline wheels in that picture: They dont' look that small from that angle!