Tyres (Yet Again!) Facelift Vrs.

This relates to those unfortunates who purchased a facelift Vrs shod with Dunlop Sport Maxx Gt 225*40*18. Thankfully mine are coming to their dreadful droning life after covering a measly 11K, and yes I also had the car tracking checked and swapped them around as advised. What I would like to know is what people have purchased as replacements and how they are finding them compared with the Dunlops ? My own thoughts were in trying the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo k110. They look a decent tyre at a decent price.

Thanks.

11k damn they must be carp, i managed to get 22k out of my last set of conti sport contact2, just recently went for GOODYEAR EFFICIENTGRIP all round. So far so good grip is plentiful even with the huge lump of torque you get from the pd170. Wet traction is also outstanding obviously this is only my expieriance of them others may disagree.

Dez

I had Hankook Evo V12 on the van i bought 4 nov 2009 they lasted till dec 2010 and 15 miles later, would i buy again? yes on the basis they arent a bad tire near the end of the life of them they are scarey but what tire isnt, the price isnt that cheap now i may add.

I like my conti SC3's.

There's a lot of discussion already on here - maybe some do some searching?

Did you get SC3s from new? Mine came with SC2s. The 3s get a very good review.

This relates to those unfortunates who purchased a facelift Vrs shod with Dunlop Sport Maxx Gt 225*40*18. Thankfully mine are coming to their dreadful droning life after covering a measly 11K, and yes I also had the car tracking checked and swapped them around as advised. What I would like to know is what people have purchased as replacements and how they are finding them compared with the Dunlops ? My own thoughts were in trying the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo k110. They look a decent tyre at a decent price.

Thanks.

Hi All

I had the dunlops on when I got the car at 6 months old with 11000 on it. The fronts were worn so the dealer put 2 Avons on it. Shortly after, the rear dunlops started the droning. The dealer swapped front to back and adjusted the rear geometry. Steering still didn't feel right so took it to CLCM in Edinburgh - geometry out on all 4 wheels - all adjusted and driving better now.

Had the steels and winter tyres on all winter and seems ok but will be putting the summer tyres back on with the dunlops on the front in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait till they are worn enough to change them.

Just got a full set of Falken 452's for my astra van so if they are ok will get a set for the VRS.

Dave

I've just switched from Dunlops with 11k on them to conti sc2's.

The noise has halfed in the cabin, it's been a seriously drastic change noise wise. Only really driven in the wet so far but while there's room for improvement and almost certainly better tyres than cs2s out there, they are very good compared to Dunlops. A real large step up.

Not really saying much though is it :giggle:

I'd buy michelen ps3's or conti cs3s.

Thanks.

What sort of budget have you in mind? That's usually the limiting factor!

Did you get SC3s from new? Mine came with SC2s. The 3s get a very good review.

No, mine came with SC2's from new - i changed to SC3's after reading good reviews in the various magazines.

No, mine came with SC2's from new - i changed to SC3's after reading good reviews in the various magazines.

OK thought I might have been short-changed. I found the SC2s really quite unsatisfactory - haven't worn them out yet though :S

What sort of budget have you in mind? That's usually the limiting factor!

You can get them (Hankook) from Camskill for £91each + delivery but out of stock, so fitted I would guess about £105 each. Don't really want to pay much more than this per tyre.You would have hoped to get more than 11k from new with OE tyres, so an unexpected expense this soon !!

To me its ironic!!

At the time I got my VRS, they were coming through with either SC2's or Dunlop Sport Maxx. Having had a Focus ST that had OEM SC2's I wanted the Dunlops.

When the car came it had the Dunlop's on but the newer Sport Maxx GT.

Dry grip is excellent but at about 10000 miles the noise started, changing front to rear has not improved things.

Now if I could afford them I would go for the new Goodyear F1 Assymetric 2 but £500 for 4

So now I'm going for Falken Fk452

One thing the OEM dunlop sport maxx GT's have over the OEM conti sports 2 is a stiffer sidewall. Steering is slightly more accurate on dunlops than on conti's. The conti's aren't soft sidewalled, they're not like when i was riding on winters, that's soft sidewalls and ruins the handling of these cars IMO but the cs2's could definitely benefit from stiffer sidewalls. Sitting at 36psi but might try a bit higher again.

You can get them (Hankook) from Camskill for £91each + delivery but out of stock, so fitted I would guess about £105 each. Don't really want to pay much more than this per tyre.You would have hoped to get more than 11k from new with OE tyres, so an unexpected expense this soon !!

At this sort of money I'd be looking at Rainsport2s, the V12s or maybe the FK452. The latter is a very good tyre for a VERY reasonable price.

Me, next - I'm up for some V12s I reckon.

At this sort of money I'd be looking at Rainsport2s, the V12s or maybe the FK452. The latter is a very good tyre for a VERY reasonable price.

Me, next - I'm up for some V12s I reckon.

I'm going with the V12's as well in the next couple of weeks.....

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a nightmare with tyres on my Octavia VRS. The dunlops wore down very quickly and were replaced with Pirelli P Zeros which went down ridiculously fast. Had 4 new ones put on only a few weeks ago and am concerned that they seem to be going down fast already! Have done 26k miles and this is 3rd set of front tyres :-S luckily it's a company car but I'll still get it in the ear getting through them so quick! I'd appreciate hearing how people get on with the above suggestions. The real priority for me is getting tyres that last on there...

Edited by liquidshokk